Custom Exhaust on my Sport

Mikula

Edit: See post #48 before continuing!!

Well, I bit the bullet for you guys. Spent the better half of 2 days fabricating an exhaust for my 16 Sport. This was my first attempt at a custom exhaust, and let me just say (pun intended) it was exhausting. Here is what I know.

I started by taking out the old exhaust from the flex pipes rearward. It was pretty simple, as there are only 2 exhaust hangers per side holding the whole exhaust on (1 on the resonator, and 1 on the muffler per side)

I decided to use a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe (in place of the stock resonator). Part number is 11386. Now, even by magnaflows standards, they call this a muffler. In my opinion, it is better suited as a resonator. This is an amazing piece. The main purpose of one of these (in my eyes) is to cut out all of the nasty ricey overtones associated with a V6. These also sound good on a V8, as they do get rid of some of the harsh tones. I would recommend these on almost any application.

After that I decided to skip using an actual muffler, so It is just 2.5" pipes from there, into 3.5" staggered quad tips out of the rear. The stock rear bezels need to be removed to add anything back there, as they just get in the way and can't fit anything in there.

THE RESULTS:

Don't... and I mean Don't.. do what I did here. The drone from 1100-2500rpm is unbearable. Maybe I'm getting old, because when I was 25, the louder the better! I don't know how long I'm going to keep this on, but luckily, I made the exhaust in 2 pieces, so it can be removed (and shipped to some lucky forum member that likes their edge loud and proud!!)

Now, the excessive noise is not coming from under the seats, as the only noise you hear is coming from the rear. Just LOUD!

The Idle? Sounds absolutely great. Just what I wanted. Deep sounding, a little throat, and impressive for a V6.

Wide open throttle? Absolutely a beast. I really do love the WOT sound I'm getting out of this. I had the wife mash it while I stood on the side of the road and I was really impressed. Do you know it's a V6? yes. Is it a ricer? NO. a FIRM NO.

Butt dyno? No discernible difference before or after.

But again... the in-cabin noise of this set-up might be too much for me to handle. The next thing I may try is getting a set of "bullet" style mufflers, and weld them almost in the same place MRT put theirs on the Edge kit they sell. Hopefully that will calm it down, while still being very little restriction at WOT.

I will post a link to a few videos I took, though of course, sound is hard to capture through video.

Edited by Mikula
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those 3.5 inch tips fit great and look great :thumbsup: . I am installing 3 inch quad tips this week and you have me thinking that I should move up to the 3.5 inch tips. I was afraid that the 3.5 would not fit or look oversized. After looking at yours I was wrong the 3.5 works . I hope the 3 inch does not look undersized, I can always change them later. :shrug:

• Like 1

Well after driving it to and from work today, here is my 2nd day verdict.

Same as day 1. It is just absurd in-cabin. so I let my wife drive it while I took her vehicle to see how it sounded on the road.

I love it. Seriously, I'm really torn, because driving next to it is not like "what is this ricer doing", it is smooth, mellow, but you know it has some exhaust work. When she stomped on it and it dropped a gear, I was again really impressed by the sound.

BUT, you have to do what is good for you, not everyone else... So I'm most likely going to add some Magnaflow 10416 Round straight through mufflers in the back and see if it tightens up the purr at cruising speeds. Sure don't think it'll hurt any of the flow being a through design, and the packing might absorb that low hum.

Would love a video of a couple of WOT pulls from inside and outside. Go Pro on rear bumper would be great too :D

Fantastic job!!

I don't have one of those fancy cameras, so I had my wife stand outside the car at different distances to try and accomplish the same thing. I will post that video in a bit here, once she edits it on her fancy apple product that I don't know how to use!

great job going custom. how far did you make your tips stick out? also, how much room is left. Room to run 4in staggered tips?

Nick, the tips do not stick out much past the bumper. I had originally wanted them to stick out 1-1.5" out of the bumper. Well after mocking it up, they looked good from behind, but awful from all other angles. The reason being, after removing the bezel, you can see the tips from the front of the vehicle. The bezels wrap further around the side than you realize until you have a shiny new exhaust hanging out back there. Here is a side pic for a visual

IMG 1231

From the top birds eye view, you can see they are tucked under there pretty good, which I originally didn't want, but I'm really happy the way they look now that they are there

IMG 1229

IMG 1216

As for larger tips fitting, I think you can squeeze larger under there. My only thought would be that they might hang lower than the bumper. here is a few pics with a tape measure for some reference.

IMG 1221

IMG 1220

And here is a rear pic of her new butt cheeks

IMG 1225

As far as how low they sit out of the bottom.. I probably could have tucked them under a bit closer to the rear differential, but wasn't sure how much flex there would be when I was done. If I did it again, I would put them 1/2" from the differential, because there is VERY LITTLE flex with only the 2 exhaust hangers per side. Here is a few under shots:

IMG 1223

IMG 1222

IMG 1219

• Like 3

Would love a video of a couple of WOT pulls from inside and outside. Go Pro on rear bumper would be great too :D

Fantastic job!!

Here is a video of a few pulls. The money shot is at about 17 seconds. The booty shot. Nice low growl, smooth, not overbearing, still a V6 but impressive nonetheless!

• Like 5

thanks for the video's. sounds good, and not at all ricey or obtrusive.

i think most of us Edge owners take the noise cancellation system for granted.

i suppose that your cabin drone may have something to the noise cancelling audio system emitting overlapping resonant frequencies.

Well after driving it to and from work today, here is my 2nd day verdict.

Same as day 1. It is just absurd in-cabin. so I let my wife drive it while I took her vehicle to see how it sounded on the road.

I love it. Seriously, I'm really torn, because driving next to it is not like "what is this ricer doing", it is smooth, mellow, but you know it has some exhaust work. When she stomped on it and it dropped a gear, I was again really impressed by the sound.

BUT, you have to do what is good for you, not everyone else... So I'm most likely going to add some Magnaflow 10416 Round straight through mufflers in the back and see if it tightens up the purr at cruising speeds. Sure don't think it'll hurt any of the flow being a through design, and the packing might absorb that low hum.

I don't have one of those fancy cameras, so I had my wife stand outside the car at different distances to try and accomplish the same thing. I will post that video in a bit here, once she edits it on her fancy apple product that I don't know how to use!

Nick, the tips do not stick out much past the bumper. I had originally wanted them to stick out 1-1.5" out of the bumper. Well after mocking it up, they looked good from behind, but awful from all other angles. The reason being, after removing the bezel, you can see the tips from the front of the vehicle. The bezels wrap further around the side than you realize until you have a shiny new exhaust hanging out back there. Here is a side pic for a visual

From the top birds eye view, you can see they are tucked under there pretty good, which I originally didn't want, but I'm really happy the way they look now that they are there

As for larger tips fitting, I think you can squeeze larger under there. My only thought would be that they might hang lower than the bumper. here is a few pics with a tape measure for some reference.

And here is a rear pic of her new butt cheeks

As far as how low they sit out of the bottom.. I probably could have tucked them under a bit closer to the rear differential, but wasn't sure how much flex there would be when I was done. If I did it again, I would put them 1/2" from the differential, because there is VERY LITTLE flex with only the 2 exhaust hangers per side. Here is a few under shots:

Hey bud if you add the straight through resonators as close to the turbos as possible with will significantly help with drone.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to take a video from the inside of the cabin? The other videos sound great. I think I would find the droning annoying after a while? Thanks for sharing the pics and videos!

I will get an interior video soon and try posting it

Hey bud if you add the straight through resonators as close to the turbos as possible with will significantly help with drone.

I have a resonator right up against the flex pipes currently... it doesn't do squat!!!

• Like 1

This set-up on any of the other 2.7 ecoboost would be amazing. under the f-150 you wouldn't hear the drone, and I would imagine in the fusion sport the drone would die off in the trunk and maybe rear seat.

Because the edge has such a wide open area in the back it's just a bunch of hum and reverb kicking around. I've got magnaflow 10416's on order, so hopefully I'll get to welding those in this weekend and get more videos for you guys.

• Like 1

What are you going to cut away on the bumper cover? Just the tabs that the clips mount to so there's no other plastic visible beyond the edges of the outer exhaust cutouts?

Yes , just the clips and tab area so they don't show and I can get the tips centered.

Edited by Xtra

This set-up on any of the other 2.7 ecoboost would be amazing. under the f-150 you wouldn't hear the drone, and I would imagine in the fusion sport the drone would die off in the trunk and maybe rear seat.

Because the edge has such a wide open area in the back it's just a bunch of hum and reverb kicking around. I've got magnaflow 10416's on order, so hopefully I'll get to welding those in this weekend and get more videos for you guys.

I wonder if dynamat or some other sound isolation/ deadening product would help.

I will get an interior video soon and try posting it

I have a resonator right up against the flex pipes currently... it doesn't do squat!!!

Well on my supercharged audi the drone was HORRID till I put in a resonated Xpipe by magnaflow. we tried it as far back as we could and we got unbelievable drone and rasp. moved it as far forward as we could and it all magically went away, and my car isn't quiet either when you put your foot in it.

so I have a great balance, quiet cruising and loud at WOT.

• Like 1

The drone from 1100-2500rpm is unbearable.

As you might know I have the MRT axle back system and I also get a drone in the cabin in the 1100 to 2500 rpm range and it can be uncomfortably loud. It is more noticeable under light loads, like in traffic up even a small rise. To quiet it out I have to down shift or accelerate out of that RPM range. The noise fills the cabin and I am not sure of where it is coming from or how to overcome it. This is one of the reasons for the quad tips besides looking good. To help move the exhaust completely out the back of the car, not under it like with the stock bezel. It sounds like a resonate frequency to me.

I wonder if dynamat or some other sound isolation/ deadening product would help.

For anyone ever interested in sound deadening, I wouldn't do anything else except from the guy at Sound Deadener Showdown. Easily the best stuff on the market by far. It turned a fox body mustang drag car into a silent death trap. Pretty amazed at what that stuff can do.

Excellent job Mikula..Well done. I fitted a Magnaflow on a Honda S2000 and had the same problem with an unbearable drone at highway speeds..but at WOT that car sounded like a Ferrari. Could not stand the drone though..took it off. Wonder if the drone is something you get with Magnaflow..

I've only had bad experiences with flowmaster and drone. this is my first poor experience with magnaflow drone, but also my first experience with straight pipes from a resonator...which is where I'm putting the blame. The harmonics of those 2.5" tubes are just plain bad.

• Like 1

As you might know I have the MRT axle back system and I also get a drone in the cabin in the 1100 to 2500 rpm range and it can be uncomfortably loud. It is more noticeable under light loads, like in traffic up even a small rise. To quiet it out I have to down shift or accelerate out of that RPM range. The noise fills the cabin and I am not sure of where it is coming from or how to overcome it. This is one of the reasons for the quad tips besides looking good. To help move the exhaust completely out the back of the car, not under it like with the stock bezel. It sounds like a resonate frequency to me.

That doesn't make me feel much better about the straight through mufflers i'm going to weld on. That is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing. I didn't realize you weren't running the stock suitcase muffler back there. My drive to work is on a toll road in texas where the speed limit is 85. That puts my rpm right in the poop zone! 22 miles on that stretch at 7am is miserable on my ears. Around town it doesn't bother me, as like you said, downshifting works to get out of it. anything up a slight hill... yuck.

• Like 1