Engineers, Fabricators,CAD drawers, etc. Step Inside!

Anyone that knows someone with skills, check back here often! 3d printers, designers, whoever can help us! I don't have facebook, so if you can help and maybe add a link to a facebook group of edge owners or something. Much appreciated!

There are a lot of us trying to figure out how to improve some design flaws on our vehicles. Some of us push the envelope of what our stock systems can handle. Well, they always say 2 heads are better than 1. Well I say lets put several heads together and get our own projects rolling to help each other out.

I'm trying to start a thread to bounce ideas off of each other, and possibly make prototypes for some of our ideas.

So here's where I'm at...

I'd like to come up with a better intake design than the current hot air intake the factory puts in this thing. I came across the posts by Xtra and GT500 where they opened up the grill area to accommodate a bit more air. Well lets face it, at best, the opening is only 1" x what, 8" or so?

There seems to be a lot of usable room in that area to expand the size of the inlet and bottom of the intake box. What are your guys thoughts on that? maybe add a few inches of width to the part that sucks the air in from the grill, make it wider and thicker all the way to the bottom of the intake box where the filter sits? That might be the easiest, so that anyone can install in under an hour without cutting away chunks of the car!

I also like the idea Xtra used with the dual round filters, however the box would need to be altered to accommodate this. But, with those style filters, it wouldn't matter where the cold air came from (as long as it is sealed from the under hood temps. Currently with the panel filter, the air must flow in from the bottom of the box. This may open up some other options for scooping in extra air from other sources.

Which leads me to another thought. Maybe the additional air can be brought in from the "fog light" area. Keeping the LED light intact, maybe open up the center to be shaped more like a grill, and direct the flow in from there? Thoughts? Prayers? Bueller?

• Like 2

I guess some folks just have to tinker.

I remember a Ford engineer who was talking to some aftermarket tuners who were bragging about their latest tune where they got the shift time reduced on the transmission and they were really proud of it - almost bragging. The engineer said yeah we were there about 3 years ago. We spent the last 3 years making it driveable and avoiding all the other problems it caused.

• Like 2

Cant open middle od LED area, but u can ditch the LEDs for a modded base model piece to get air up into the bay

any particular reason? is there something behind it? I'm not sure what this part is on ebay, looks the same, but might be different. I'm thinking its different because of how cheap it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-15-16-Edge-Front-Bumper-Grille-Grill-Outer-Grille-Left-FT4Z17B814AB/322875077292?fits=Year%3A2015%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AEdge%7CSubmodel%3ASport&epid=1852795116&hash=item4b2cdab2ac:g:AwAAAOSwY~laBhTW&vxp=mtr

Like you stated, It appears that it is not a light though. just base model.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Ford-OEM-2015-Edge-Front-Bumper-Grille-outer-Grille-Left-FT4Z17B814AB/1852795116?iid=332433986729&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50074%26meid%3D0392b73d32f44ae0a70b182f41c8f7e1%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D322875077292%26itm%3D332433986729&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Edited by Mikula

• 1 month later...

Mikula,

I wrote a PM to you but didn't finish. I have access to 4 3D print firms, CNC shops and conventional machine shops. I'm an engineer and my other car is a very extensively modified 1991 Audi Coupe Quattro, 460HP (turbocharged) track car. I've done much of the suspension and power modifications.

I've only had my 2014 Edge EcoBoost for 3 days so I haven't seen the warm air intake you are critical of.

A companion mod would be to replace the restrictive exhaust pipe (~2" dia) from the exhaust manifold, restrictive cat converter, and all the 2" dia piping to the "Y" split for the dual outlets.

Will the 4 cyl turbo Mustang cat converter work/fit?

Phil Cowan

So. California

Mikula,

I wrote a PM to you but didn't finish. I have access to 4 3D print firms, CNC shops and conventional machine shops. I'm an engineer and my other car is a very extensively modified 1991 Audi Coupe Quattro, 460HP (turbocharged) track car. I've done much of the suspension and power modifications.

I've only had my 2014 Edge EcoBoost for 3 days so I haven't seen the warm air intake you are critical of.

A companion mod would be to replace the restrictive exhaust pipe (~2" dia) from the exhaust manifold, restrictive cat converter, and all the 2" dia piping to the "Y" split for the dual outlets.

Will the 4 cyl turbo Mustang cat converter work/fit?

Phil Cowan

So. California

Mine is a 2016 2.7 ecoboost, and is a different design than the 2014. it is true dual from the turbos back, no y-pipe. I did not change the stock cats, but from the cats back, I fabbed a 2.5" exhaust, so that is no longer an issue. I'm interested to work together to see if we can do something about this intake. I have a few ideas I need to bounce around!

• Like 1

My plan is to save all my pennies not doing mods and when I retire (in 3 years) buy a GT40. No mods required. :)

The biggest mod needed in that scenario might be between the steering wheel and the seat. I thought I was a decent driver until I took one of those track classes - they are great fun and very enlightening... I highly recommend them. They'd be especially entertaining in a GT40.

• Like 2

If you want to get a taste of what it's like to drive a supercar on a racetrack (with a coach) try www.thextremexperience.com . With discounts you can get 3 laps in a Ferrari, Lambo, Audi, Porsche 911 GT3, etc. for about $250. It's a blast. Try discount coupon xtremevip (haven't tested it lately - may or may not work).

I've driven a porsche 911 turbo, 911 GT3, Ferrari 458 and Audi R8 at Atlanta Motorsports Park. They also do ride-alongs with a pro driver which are more fun than a roller coaster.

• Like 3

I went through the Bondurant Racing School program many years back. In a previous career I was involved in the IRL (on the sponsor side not the driving side) and have driven (not in a race car but a pace car) most of the superspeedways in the US. I was fortunate enough to get to drive a few laps around Indy Motor Speedway in a pace car. That was a hoot!

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 3