Maintenance To Awd

Ford states there's no maintenance for the life of the car (which is the life of the warranty). The exception is if the car had been in water.

The concensus in the forum is to change the lubricant every 30,000 miles. (My dealer told me this as well). Problem is, most dealers don't have a Ford procedure for changing the fluid and will tell you they can't /won't do it.

My dealer's service rep told me this, I asked to speak with the technician and he said that it was a good idea and they will suck out the old fluid using the machine used to suck out the differential fluid. If I remember they charged $80.

Couple of other points, change the coolant at 30k (important) and plugs at 100k (max-critical). I also had the dealer change my brake fluid.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Since you just got the vehicle, change BOTH PTU and RDU fluids. If dealer won't do it, find a good trans shop to work with. No drain plugs, but a shop can easily use the fill plugs instead. in the case of the RDU, if they wanted, they can actually remove the cover, clean out the RDU completely, seal it back up and refill.

Replace all other fluids as well. A known good starting point is essential for longevity. Coolant, brake, power steering (if not electric), transmission fluid, etc.

If you are not a DIY'r, assess the need for extended warranty, buy a Ford Protect one, I like the Premiumcare, it has been invaluable on my 07, and will be with all the electronics on your 2013.

That is what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch !

Had this 13 only a week. It has 38,101 km so I will get the coolant done now and will check with the dealers around here

on the PTU change.

Excuse my ignorance but RDU....Rear Dif ?

Since you just got the vehicle, change BOTH PTU and RDU fluids. If dealer won't do it, find a good trans shop to work with. No drain plugs, but a shop can easily use the fill plugs instead. in the case of the RDU, if they wanted, they can actually remove the cover, clean out the RDU completely, seal it back up and refill.

Replace all other fluids as well. A known good starting point is essential for longevity. Coolant, brake, power steering (if not electric), transmission fluid, etc.

If you are not a DIY'r, assess the need for extended warranty, buy a Ford Protect one, I like the Premiumcare, it has been invaluable on my 07, and will be with all the electronics on your 2013.

warranty availability goes back as far as the 2006 MY apparently. of course the older your vehicle, the more sparse the coverage options. being you have a low mileage 2013, you should have pretty good options. here in the U.S., we go through online ford dealerships, you will likely need to find a canadian dealership that does the same.

Contact these guys and see what they can do for you. there are some U.S. dealers online that say they can issue plans for Canadian vehicles as well.

https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/contact.cfm

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I have a 2009 MKX, with over 115k. I took out another extended warranty late last year. Had the option of going full coverage for two years or powertrain only for three. (Went with the powertrain as it covers everything I need, and give me three years). So yes, you can easily get a full coverage warranty if you want.

Here's a tip I used. I went online and printed out three offers from online Ford dealers. Then made an appointment with local dealer's comptroller and listened to his offers. Decided on tbe 3-year powertrain warranty and then brought up the online bids. He asked to see them and immediately offered to match the lowest. I hem-hawed, and looked disinterested, so he sweetened to pot by offering a zero deductible (if I have all my work done in his garage. $100 deductible at any other Ford dealership).

Follow up with what WWWPerf said about online dealers selling Canadian warranties. Then see if your local will match (they should, doesn't matter who sells the warranty and any Ford garage will honor).

Then when he agrees to match, sit there with a goofy grin on your face and stare blindly into his eyes, as if expecting him to add more. If he still doesn't get the message, blink several times. If he still doesn't budge, add "just match"?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hello. I have 2010 with 143000km. I just finished changing all of the fluids. It took me a week to get through that as well as some other maintenance (spark plugs, fuel pump). I was driving in between each of the maintenance windows. What I noticed was that the litres per 100km had increased a lot over the last 10000km. Each fluid change did have a positive effect but the economy was still bad. That is until I changed the PTU fluid (which was empty) and the RDU fluid. Like magic the fuel economy came right back to normal if not better than before. I used Royal Purple synthetic 75/140 and the machine is like new. CHECK THAT PTU FLUID!

Rough guess is about 90k miles, right?

That the PTU was empty struck me. I'll go out on a limb and say you have a seal leaking. Something to watch.

Local dealer quoted around $450 US to change seal when they found lraking. But I had extended warranty and the poped in a new unit.

It isn't leaking. I am familiar with that racket as I had a seal replaced at about 50000KM. So that was the last time it had been checked or filled. The fluid that was in there was just basically goop. I will been changing it several times over the next couple of weeks until I get that old stuff out of there.

And yes. Approx 90k miles.

Edited by Yamaspeed

• 3 months later...

Overkill reply I know...

My used 2014 with 14K got the TPU gear oil changed “just cause” and I wanted to see up underneath while it was on their lift. No leaks so it probably was unneccesary for 2 yrs and 14K but so what... Cost like $98.

Now it’s time again (44K) and my local Ford dealer says “we don’t change fluid in the TPU). That’s the “Ford line” and they are stickin’ to it... Why I don’t know as they try to upsell every other BS service possible.

So yes get it done and also the coolant due to the $1700 internal water pump...