Magic Tranny Juice

Brucifer

Had the OSS and TSS changed out by the dealership about 6 months ago with no improvement in shifting. In the last month I've developed a leak from the front cover. I this point I am strongly thinking of doing a complete R&R with a re-manufactured tranny. Could be valve body, could be bands, so rather than nickle and dimeing myself (i.e. hundred dollar nickles and thousand dollar dimes), it might be better to bite the bullet and get something with a warranty.

Both the dealership and the local mechanic rough quoted the same price -$5000. Any suggestions as to which one you would use? Local wrench has always done good work for me and would be using a Jasper's tranny. Warranty would be about the same with 3 years each; unlimited miles on the dealer, 100k on Jaspers (neither which I will drive in three years).

In the meantime, any suggestions as to dealing with the leak? At this point, pouring in just about anything won't hurt, but if I can get another 6 months or so of savings built up. Since it was made in Canada, I'm thinking maple syrup. I have some robust stuff, but it was made in upstate New York and may not be compatible. I topped it off recently with some Lucas conditioner and not sure if the juu-juu or the higher fluid level made things better.

I know $5k is a lot to put into an 11yo car with 160k on the clock, but if I can get another 5 years out of it, that might/sort/kinda not sound as bad as a yearly cost. Not to mention the $800 in new tires a couple of months ago and the $300 in brakes I have sitting on a shelf. Another used car could be another can of worms. 5 grand is a lot less than a new vehicle (also....dog hair).

tl;dr Dealer or local for transmission swap at same cost? Any additive to help with leaking gasket in the meantime?

Thanks.

The leak is from the front cover where you access the valve body/TSS OSS etc? I do believe the gasket is replaceable so that is where I would start first.

Products like Lucas Conditioner are bandaids once a problem already exists. Basically buying time so you can budget in the replacement.

A trustworthy shop dealer or independent is the important thing given that price is the same. Ford remanned transmissions have an excellent warranty, Jasper's may as well.

• Like 1

Forget maple surple. Go full blackstrap molasses!

41KMLGelm%2BL.jpg

Poured about half the bottle in and did a freeway run. Meh. on the improvement - still some shudder. Could of been low-ish fluid.

Cut the tip off (just the tip), and stuck it into the filler tube. Stabbed the backside with a knife and went about doing some other chores (engine was running).

Talk about 140w. Couple of laps around the block to stir the pot. Will have to see how things go in the morning when it's as ice cold as it can be in March in Mississippi.

Seems like the leak stopped. :rockon:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Whelp, it looks like it has finally puked up the ghost.

Slight drip was getting worse and now I have a good sized puddle running off under the trans. It was dripping heavily the day before and it seems that it was coming from under a plastic cover on the passenger side of the unit.

There is a good chance I had overfilled it; could this be a result of that, or did a main seal type thing blow out? Haven't started it. Need to get on the horn to the mechanic to see what the timetable would be.

Had a quick chat with the mechanic today. Apparently, there are 6 transmission varieties for my Edge/engine and Jasper's don't have it on the shelf.

So they are building one up. He'll check on an ETA tomorrow.

Mine is the third tranny he has ordered in the last week (other makes and models).

Either this is going to be the bestest transmission ever, or a shop lift queen.

• Like 1