Official Release of V3.0 for SYNC3 Has Begun

For those that have updated to version 3.0 do you see any difference in performance from v2.3. My edge recently did an auto update from 2.2 to 2.3 and since then I experience screen lockups that last 20-30 seconds at random when switching between functions. Didn't have that before 2.3. Does 3.0 solve this? Are there any issues with V3.0? I have downloaded it onto a flash drive but have yet to install it.

I didn't notice any lockups in 2.3 although I didn't change the screens all that often. I've been changing the screens quite a bit in 3.0 looking for any new features and getting Applink to work with my Android phone and didn't notice any lockups at all.

The update was finally available for me. Just had to figure out when I wanted to waste gas idling to install it. Luckily for me I had to run the car to get the snow/ ice to melt from the storm earlier in the week.

I like the dark interface that it has while driving at night!

Edited by onyxbfly

This would be useful in case of screen blackout, from the 2016 Edge Owners manual for Sync 3:

SYNC System Reset
The SYNC system in your vehicle has System Reset feature that can be performed if the function of a SYNC feature is lost. This reset is intended to restore functionality and will not erase any information previously stored in the system (Such as paired devices, phonebook, call history, text messages, or user settings). To perform a System Reset, press and hold the Seek Up (>>) button while pressing and holding the Radio Power button. Release both buttons after 2-3 seconds. Please allow a few minutes for the reset to complete. After a few minutes has passed you can resume using the SYNC system.

• Like 1

Anybody do the prerelease and can't get the official to install even though it is newer. I have 17276, and the official is 18025. I have tried both my Edge and Expy, same results. Goes through the motions, says it is going to reboot and finish, and the version never changes. Need to know how I should modify the install to force it to install. Thanks.

I read that 18025 was for non navigation vehicles and that 17276 was for vehicles with navigation. I don't know but possibly some one has more information.

I have navigation and my SYNC build number is 18025. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need to downgrade to 2.2 before it will upgrade to the official 3.0 from the unofficial version. I never installed the unofficial version, so I can't offer any real advice based on experience.

• Like 2

I read that 18025 was for non navigation vehicles and that 17276 was for vehicles with navigation. I don't know but possibly some one has more information.

You should take another look where you read that.

I have navigation and my SYNC build number is 18025.

Mine also has navigation and is build 18025

Edited by 1004ron

After updating to Sync v 3.0 notice a few differences. Navigation screen now has "find a place" as an option instead of "find a POI". Though the voice prompt after saying "find a place" still says "name of POI". LOL. There are also fewer prompts for finding a POI than before which is a good thing I guess. Before used to get prompts for "search where", would have to say "in a city" or nearby", now it defaults to nearby.

Screen still has the momentary lockup occurring.

Pandora radio had trouble connecting which I've never experienced before, though that may or may not be related to the udate. All in all I think if I could go back to Sync V2.2 I would, didn't have the screen lockup and everything worked okay.

Usually when updating from a version 2.X to a version 3.X one would expect major improvements. I would like to know what changes were made with the 3.0 update.

Screen still has the momentary lockup occurring. What does it mean? Can you please elaborate?

Notice it mainly when going to screens which require scrolling down. Such as recent places or favorites in the navigation menus. When I bring up recent places the list will come up with the scroll bar, but the screen freezes for 20-30 seconds before the scroll bar will work. Even the back button in the top left corner doesn't work. Then after 20-30 seconds the list will perform the scroll I tried to do earlier.

• Like 1

I just updated mine using a 4GB USB stick - it took 25 minutes and I just kept the engine idling with my garage door open.

I cant detect any changes.

I found it interesting that the instructions say we have to use a USB drive that's 32GB or greater...I was wondering why.

Glad to see it'll work with a smaller one!

OK...so I decided to not risk a smaller USB drive and stopped and grabbed a 256 GB one on the way home.

Ran the update...

Weird stuff...first time I restarted the Edge, it thought it was an electric vehicle and my climate control, Nav and radio screens wouldn't display. Volume controls on the steering wheel didn't work either...

Did a re-set.

Everything works, but my Nav is gone...

Edit...NAV is still there...the voice commands still work...but it can't find the map...

Edited by Further North

Can you be more specific than it is gone? Is the nav icon missing, is the nav map area missing, is the nav map area blank and say loading or?

Good question, I edited my post.

The icon is still there, the voice commands will try to work, but I can't get the screen to come up, and on the Home screen, it just tries to load the map.

Looks like it can't find the map to me.

I updated to 3.0 in my 2011 Edge and 2013 F150 the other day. One bug I found is with Android Auto connected you used to be able to click maps at the bottom or on the left of the Sync home screen (where the default maps are when not in AA mode) and it would take you directly to maps of Android Auto. With 3.0 it does nothing. Just toggles with no function. I use this all the time when if navigating and needing to toggle my seats on or off. Hopefully they fix it if 3.2 gets an update release for existing APIMs