How does your AWD work

Mikula

After posting a few questions on here, I'm wondering if anyone has an AWD that doesn't seem to be AWD. Maybe i'm just being picky, but with traction control off and footbraking, my front tires will spin and my rears are just along for the ride.

Not a great video, but this was taken on my wifes iphone which has a "slow motion" thing so I can slow it down and view it. I assure you the fronts are spinning and the rears are not. whether or not they have any power has yet to be determined.

The Ford Edge has a RDU (rear drive unit) The rearend has a differential and just before it is a electrically operated disconnect which is computer controlled (algorithm) when the rear tires don't drive the algorithm has been satisfied. Please read the owners manual and the algorithm is explained.

From the Chilton Manual:8-7

Note: On AWD models, the manufacturer uses an Active Torque Control Coupling (ATCC) to mange power distribution to the front and rear wheels. Normally, the front wheels receive the majority of the torque produced by the engine. When the ATCC system senses wheel slip, it automatically increases the torque to the rear wheels. The system is always active, continuously monitoring vehicle conditions and adjusting the torque being delivered to the rer wheels by controlling the current sent to an electric clutch device inside the rear axle. The ATCC system has no mode selector nor does it require any driver input. The ATCC solenoid in the rear axle is not repairable and must be replaced with the rear axle assembly as a unit.

Edited by GT Owner
  • Like 1

The Ford Edge has a RDU (rear drive unit) The rearend has a differential and just before it is a electrically operated disconnect which is computer controlled (algorithm) when the rear tires don't drive the algorithm has been satisfied. Please read the owners manual and the algorithm is explained.

what in the actual hell did you just say? in english for us slow people B)

My car spins the rear tires if I punch it from a 20 or 40mph cruse up to 60 mph you can here them squealing . I had the PTU serviced at 8K. It works great. Will have it done again at 16 or 20K. Did the trans around 10K.

That's very strange. I get much better traction than that. The only time they break loose is from under 10mph. not a hint of squealing or chirping at shifts either.

Sorry Mikula,,, I added a discription found in the Chilton Manual for my 2012 Edge. See above

This system is different than the 2012

That's very strange. I get much better traction than that. The only time they break loose is from under 10mph. not a hint of squealing or chirping at shifts either.

This system is different than the 2012

Not really, it's been the same basic system in every Edge ever made.

My car never did that until I put in the LMS V3 Tune.

Call them and tell them that you're V3 is better than mine... and have them send your tune my way!!

Not really, it's been the same basic system in every Edge ever made.

Where can I find more information about that. I've read the intellegent AWD as of late is different than the old models.

Call them and tell them that you're V3 is better than mine... and have them send your tune my way!!

Where can I find more information about that. I've read the intellegent AWD as of late is different than the old models.

You’re thinking of the Focus RS AWD system that includes torque vectoring.

• 3 months later...

How does the 19 Edge AWD differ from what was used in the past? It is described as "AWD disconnect" so does that mean it operates as FWD until AWD is needed? Will this decrease the mileage penalty for AWD vs. FWD? Does the driver control the disconnect? We have a 13 Edge FWD and are considering a 19 Edge and trying to decide if the added cost and mileage penalty are worth it. We live in the Midwest and have a 4X4 F150 when things get really bad.

How does the 19 Edge AWD differ from what was used in the past? It is described as "AWD disconnect" so does that mean it operates as FWD until AWD is needed? Will this decrease the mileage penalty for AWD vs. FWD? Does the driver control the disconnect? We have a 13 Edge FWD and are considering a 19 Edge and trying to decide if the added cost and mileage penalty are worth it. We live in the Midwest and have a 4X4 F150 when things get really bad.

Yes, it essentially runs as a FWD when cruising.

Yes, it means less parasitic loss and better fuel economy.

No, the driver doesnt do anything, the car decides when to send the power where.

I drove my Edge Sport up a 25 degree (wont be surprised if it was more than 25) incline that was solid ice (you could not walk up the hill...). Car was sitting on a set of 20 inch conti wintercontacts and it was just about a non event. You could actually feel how the car was sending power to wheels with traction. I actually made my wife drive the exact same piece of road with me to supposedly guide her up but she went up with no assistance! A poor VW Jetta tried to do same incline right before I went, and managed 0.5m before the car just spun its wheels and started skidding backwards.

Overtook a semi at highway speeds and hit black ice, no adjusting drive modes, no locking hubs, nothing, car tracked true and straight and got me safely to the other side.

I also watched a video the other night of a 2019 Edge doing an axle twister obstacle where one front wheel and one rear wheel was off the ground and it made it comfortably. In fact, something that really surprised me was that as the car crept forward the front wheel that was in the air wasnt spinning indicating the car was braking the wheel to effectively send all the power to the wheel with traction.You will probably need a 4x4 with low range to go rock crawling but for your day to day use, you will never need more than what an Edge AWD brings to the table.

I drove my Edge Sport up a 25 degree (wont be surprised if it was more than 25) incline that was solid ice (you could not walk up the hill...). Car was sitting on a set of 20 inch conti wintercontacts and it was just about a non event. You could actually feel how the car was sending power to wheels with traction. I actually made my wife drive the exact same piece of road with me to supposedly guide her up but she went up with no assistance! A poor VW Jetta tried to do same incline right before I went, and managed 0.5m before the car just spun its wheels and started skidding backwards.

The Edge only has a 18.8 degree front approach angle, so if the hill was really 25 degrees, you would have smashed your front bumper trying to pull on to it.

• Like 2