Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Ford Edge ST Forum Here

Photo
- - - - -

Louder music

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jhead85

Jhead85

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2014

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

I have a 2014 edge limited with Sony audio and navigation. . I wanna get louder music but not to sure what kinda speakers or amp to purchase. Any ideas will me helpful

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ONLINE   PrinzII

PrinzII

Ford Edge Addict

• 1,689 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

Better question is what your budget is.  For instance, I inquired about the same for my 2011 Limited and the total bill was anywhere from $3000-$4000 which includes the following:

a) Replace stock front speakers and A pillar tweeters with 6.5" JL Audio C3s

B) Replace stock rears with JL Audio C3s

c) Add Rockford Fosgate 360.3 for integration with My Ford Touch

d) Add JL Audio HD 900/5 amp

e) Add JL Audio 13" Thin Subwoofer to go into place where the stock 8" is along with box building)

f) Dynamatting/Sound insulation

g) Wiring

...and the labor to put it all in

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#3 ONLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,695 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

I found the difference in sound with a simple swapin of  "budget" Pioneers was huge for my 2007.  Of course the OEMs had quite a bit of mileage on them too LOL.

Still, now I can crank up the volume VERY high and not really get any distortion.  Pretty impressive to be rolling at 70+ with windows down and stereo cranked up and still get great sound.  Stock system otherwise.

#4 OFFLINE   Mikula

Mikula

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 459 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

Does "if it's too loud, you're too old" still apply?

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and Ntrain2k like this

#5 ONLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,695 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

LOL

#6 OFFLINE   Tacyon

Tacyon

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 404 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

Jhead85, along with the question of budget, you've got to ask yourself are you fine with a line level converter (speaker outputs -> DSP -> low level for an AMP) which won't solve the severe neutering of the audio that Ford/Sony does on its stock configuration. OR, if you want to opt for what is behind door two and go with a solution like iData Maestro + Kenwood XR600-6DSP which kills 3 birds with one albeit large stone.

I have a 1200 watt ole skool Phoenix Gold Ti 600.2 amp connected to two, Diamond Audio D612D4 in a sealed box with no way to connect it to my Sony :lol: "Premium" sound system in my Edge. IMO Line level converters don't count. Until mid 2017 it was relegated to the corner of my garage. By opting for the Maestro/Kenwood configuration I not only bypass the anemic and heavily neutered Sony stock amp but also get 2 sets of real line outputs from the Kenwood's XR600.

I just about have all my hardware in hand and will do a thread on my install here and my design reasons.

The Maestro/Kenwood solution is going to be ~$1000.00  :spend: on the cheap IF you have all the install materials in hand and the install skillz. (cabling, fittings, etc) And this is without the consideration of a sub-woofer (not a german shepherd living on a submarine) and loosing the "center ch fill speakers" on the stock configuration.

Edited by Tacyon, 15 April 2018 - 01:37 PM.

#7 ONLINE   fishx65

fishx65

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:01 PM

If ya just want louder cleaner music I'd probably figure out a way to add a good 4 or 5 channel amp.  A good 10 or 12 inch sub would go a long way too.  It can be done pretty cheap if you do your research, are handy and find good deals on Ebay.  Lots of fantastic older amps don't fetch much coin these days.

Edited by fishx65, 15 April 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,153 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

Just to clarify, loud doesnt always qualify as better sounding. Seems like you have a great head start with l the responses so far.

I simply replaced the stock, paper, speakers with infinity reference all around and have been very pleased with the sound for almost 6 years.

I find it to be quite loud above 7-8 with the windows closed and 21-22 with everything open at highway speed (numbers based on what is displayed on the screen/sync 3).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users