Louder music

• 3 weeks later...

Better question is what your budget is. For instance, I inquired about the same for my 2011 Limited and the total bill was anywhere from $3000-$4000 which includes the following:

a) Replace stock front speakers and A pillar tweeters with 6.5" JL Audio C3s

B) Replace stock rears with JL Audio C3s

c) Add Rockford Fosgate 360.3 for integration with My Ford Touch

d) Add JL Audio HD 900/5 amp

e) Add JL Audio 13" Thin Subwoofer to go into place where the stock 8" is along with box building)

f) Dynamatting/Sound insulation

g) Wiring

...and the labor to put it all in

• Like 1

I found the difference in sound with a simple swapin of "budget" Pioneers was huge for my 2007. Of course the OEMs had quite a bit of mileage on them too LOL.

Still, now I can crank up the volume VERY high and not really get any distortion. Pretty impressive to be rolling at 70+ with windows down and stereo cranked up and still get great sound. Stock system otherwise.

Jhead85, along with the question of budget, you've got to ask yourself are you fine with a line level converter (speaker outputs -> DSP -> low level for an AMP) which won't solve the severe neutering of the audio that Ford/Sony does on its stock configuration. OR, if you want to opt for what is behind door two and go with a solution like iData Maestro + Kenwood XR600-6DSP which kills 3 birds with one albeit large stone.

I have a 1200 watt ole skool Phoenix Gold Ti 600.2 amp connected to two, Diamond Audio D612D4 in a sealed box with no way to connect it to my Sony :lol: "Premium" sound system in my Edge. IMO Line level converters don't count. Until mid 2017 it was relegated to the corner of my garage. By opting for the Maestro/Kenwood configuration I not only bypass the anemic and heavily neutered Sony stock amp but also get 2 sets of real line outputs from the Kenwood's XR600.

I just about have all my hardware in hand and will do a thread on my install here and my design reasons.

The Maestro/Kenwood solution is going to be ~$1000.00 :spend: on the cheap IF you have all the install materials in hand and the install skillz. (cabling, fittings, etc) And this is without the consideration of a sub-woofer (not a german shepherd living on a submarine) and loosing the "center ch fill speakers" on the stock configuration.

Edited by Tacyon

If ya just want louder cleaner music I'd probably figure out a way to add a good 4 or 5 channel amp. A good 10 or 12 inch sub would go a long way too. It can be done pretty cheap if you do your research, are handy and find good deals on Ebay. Lots of fantastic older amps don't fetch much coin these days.

Edited by fishx65

Just to clarify, loud doesnt always qualify as better sounding. Seems like you have a great head start with l the responses so far.

I simply replaced the stock, paper, speakers with infinity reference all around and have been very pleased with the sound for almost 6 years.

I find it to be quite loud above 7-8 with the windows closed and 21-22 with everything open at highway speed (numbers based on what is displayed on the screen/sync 3).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The 2014 Edge Limited is a pain to work with, just a heads up. There are no harnesses to bypass the factory amp and the data line needs to be intact due to the way the controls are integrated into the radio.

If you just want louder, you can try a set of lower impedance speakers such as the Infinity Kappa 682.11. They are 2 Ohm and are budget friendly.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_10868211CF/Infinity-Kappa-682-11cf.html?tp=93&awkw=75640566745&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47624563105&awdv=t&awug=9015272&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-cH_5eDl2gIVW7jACh0XwwwYEAQYASABEgJocvD_BwE

Adding an amp is a bit more work and requires cutting factory wires but is worth it. This applies if you are happy with the sound and just want it louder. Rockford Power series speakers are excellent loudspeakers and many 4 channel amps have speaker level inputs.

I chose to go the DSP route because I hated the muddy sound the Sony Premium system produced.

post-32312-0-67975100-1525221040_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I'd be very careful about installing lower impedance speakers. The amp may not be 2-ohm stable and may not handle the added current and heat very well... especially since it sounds likely that the OP will be pushing the limits trying to get more volume. I don't know the impedance specs of the factory amp but you could end up letting all the smoke out of the factory system. Once you let all the smoke out of electronic devices, they don't work anymore. ;)

Besides, cutting the impedance in half doubles the power (and current flow) but only generates 3dB of increased volume - the equivalent of about one click of the volume knob. That's because perceived volume is a logarithmic scale. It takes ten times as much power to double the volume (e.g. you'd have to go from 100W to 1,000W output).

Replacing the speakers with better quality and adding an amp (speaker level input is a great convenience) is a good start but be aware that you are unlikely to be able to build a really loud (85dB or more) system without significant cost and work. And remember that exposure to sound at that level for long periods will cause hearing loss. Exposure to sound at 100dB for just 15 minutes will cause some permanent hearing loss.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1