Beware of HIDs in subfreezing temps

New member here.

I installed HIDs last fall in my '17 Edge and worked great till we hit about 0 degrees while visiting Minnesota (road trip from KC) for Christmas; neither bulb lit up. I didn't know/notice till the trip home in the evening. Thankfully I kept the OEM bulbs with me but I think I'll stay with the halogen bulbs and not have to worry about headlight failure on a family trip.

I don't know if was the bulbs or ballasts that couldn't handle the cold. All I know is after that cold night, it didn't work. Other than that, it was in the teens before failure.

I've fired mine up below zero many times in upper Michigan and Da UP without any problems. Mine are a 5 year old set 35 watt DDMs with a beefy harness. Probably be a good idea to post what brand you are using, wattage and if you're using a harness. Hids need some good power to fire and cold weather doesn't play nice with batteries. A nice solid power connection straight to the battery with at least 12 gauge wire and an equally sized ground cable might solve your problem. I remember having problems firing my ballasts when I first got them and finally figured out it was the cheap thin gauge e-bay harness causing the problem.

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 1

I installed an aftermarket set on my 94 Lincoln mark VIII and never had a problem in the cold. My 13 MKX came with the adaptive HID's and I thought if I had any problems it would be with the movement from side to side, but still no problems. Maybe you can install a set from a 13 MKX? Just a thought. There nice and bright, I get flashed from time to time.

Ive been in temps as cold as -15 with my HID and never had any issues at all. It comes down to quality of the ballasts, wiring, install method (I.e. direct wire harness), relays, etc.

I have found that having an 800 CCA battery has helped tremendously. Never as much as a hiccup remote starting in the cold.

• Like 1