Tow Hooks, 2016 Edge

Sitting here in NW WI, looking at another 6+ inches of fresh snow...I started wondering, "If we put the Edge in a ditch, perhaps avoiding one of the mouth breathers around here who drive in the middle of the road, what does a tow truck, or a friendly neighbor with a pick-up attach to to get this thing out of a ditch?"

On our Escape, there's a panel on the grill that pops off, and you can screw in a hook you can buy from Ford.

I looked at the front of the Edge, no such critter.

Nothing in the manual, either...All I get is this:

Ford Motor Company produces a towing manual for all authorized tow truck operators. Have your tow truck operator refer to this manual for proper hook-up and towing procedures for your vehicle.

...I may be old and cynical, but I'm not convinced that tow truck operators are going to take the time to get, and read that manual before they attach something to my Edge and break off part of the bumper fascia, or bend a suspension part...or whatever.

I found this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiwjMufhZ3aAhUkVd8KHZlaCdgQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordservicecontent.com%2Fford_content%2Fcatalog%2Fmotorcraft%2F2015-2016-Wrecker-Towing-Guide-Final.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3Y8heZaijdsHzBVHh4rdb8

...is that what's available?

Blue Ox makes a tow bar mount that is designed for towing the Edge behind a motor home but also includes tow hooks on a model that has removable tow bar arms. Unfortunately it costs about $500 and requires fairly extensive installation work.

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Ford/Edge/2016/BX2667.html?vehicleid=201652434

Friends - I give you the Saber-Tooth Edge - with custom towing hookup.

Blue Ox makes a tow bar mount that is designed for towing the Edge behind a motor home but also includes tow hooks on a model that has removable tow bar arms. Unfortunately it costs about $500 and requires fairly extensive installation work.

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Ford/Edge/2016/BX2667.html?vehicleid=201652434

Thanks - that's an interesting idea, and a cool product.

I crawled around on the garage floor last night (we got about another foot of snow, nothing else to do) and it looks like there's nothing down there to easily hook a strap to.

I'm left wondering why they didn't do something similar to the Escape.

It's ironic, but my example above, with the mouth breather driving down the middle of the road, happened to the wife of a friend. She was forced off the road because there was some Gomer in a pick-up in the center of the road coming around a corner. She drives a '14 Edge, and her husband was able to get it out with his F-250. He's a tall guy and he was in snow to his waist.

Edited by Further North

Just talking about Tow Hook, the export Edge 2106+ in our case have the small cap on the front bumper & a hook in the super tire area for use when needed.

The 2011+ Explorers have it, but since 2016 it is only present for AWD models.

That's a little frustrating...folks in other countries get an obvious enhancement where at least half the US would find that a useful thing to have.

...makes me wonder why? I wonder if the threaded receptacle is there, under the bumper fascia? I saw one place where that was the case on 2015+ Escapes.

Edited by Further North

Checking parts list, there is an impact bar with or without the Tow Hook, so probably the outside bumper will match the inside bar, both would be with or without.

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2016/ford/edge/sport-trim/2-7l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-front-scat

Interesting...thanks!

...so I'm back to wondering why...

Meaning there is no rhyme or reason when they decide to offer them or not offer them in the US.

Ford used to market the Escape & Explorer as SUV vehicles while the Edge as a crossover. So it seems Ford ration is that SUVs need Tow hooks while crossovers don't.

Sitting here in NW WI, looking at another 6+ inches of fresh snow...I started wondering, "If we put the Edge in a ditch, perhaps avoiding one of the mouth breathers around here who drive in the middle of the road, what does a tow truck, or a friendly neighbor with a pick-up attach to to get this thing out of a ditch?

Most likely the old fashioned way, by wrapping a chain around the rear axle. If all they have is the front, probably some frame part, whatever they can reach. What else can they do?

Ford used to market the Escape & Explorer as SUV vehicles while the Edge as a crossover. So it seems Ford ration is that SUVs need Tow hooks while crossovers don't.

Not really. My 2000 Lincoln LS had a tow hook because it was meant to be sold in Europe. All cars sold in Europe need them. I think it’s simply up to the design team whether they keep that feature for US versions or not. So some vehicles (including cars) have them and some don’t.

Most likely the old fashioned way, by wrapping a chain around the rear axle. If all they have is the front, probably some frame part, whatever they can reach. What else can they do?

When I looked at the PDF I linked to above, it actually shows where they are supposed to hook up.

Because I am old, and cynical, and I feel like if it was hard to get to that hook up point (because that Edge is high centered in a ditch full of snow, for instance) a tow operator could easily take the easy route and wrap a chain 'round an axle...which could easily damage something.

What I did was print out that document, flag the page with the Edge on it, and stuff it in the glove box.

I will use it to review with a tow operator if a situation ever comes up.

Not really. My 2000 Lincoln LS had a tow hook because it was meant to be sold in Europe. All cars sold in Europe need them. I think it’s simply up to the design team whether they keep that feature for US versions or not. So some vehicles (including cars) have them and some don’t.

I think you're right...

Though I can't think of a single good reason for leaving a tow hook out of a design. Prolly some bean counter managing via counting of beans.

Sitting here in NW WI, looking at another 6+ inches of fresh snow...I started wondering, "If we put the Edge in a ditch, perhaps avoiding one of the mouth breathers around here who drive in the middle of the road, what does a tow truck, or a friendly neighbor with a pick-up attach to to get this thing out of a ditch?"

On our Escape, there's a panel on the grill that pops off, and you can screw in a hook you can buy from Ford.

I looked at the front of the Edge, no such critter.

Nothing in the manual, either...All I get is this:

...I may be old and cynical, but I'm not convinced that tow truck operators are going to take the time to get, and read that manual before they attach something to my Edge and break off part of the bumper fascia, or bend a suspension part...or whatever.

I found this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiwjMufhZ3aAhUkVd8KHZlaCdgQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordservicecontent.com%2Fford_content%2Fcatalog%2Fmotorcraft%2F2015-2016-Wrecker-Towing-Guide-Final.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3Y8heZaijdsHzBVHh4rdb8

...is that what's available?

If I were as concerned as you, I would put a trailer hitch on it and get a toe hook for a 2" receiver and it could be towed our backward. If you are dodging oncoming traffic, you will probably go in the ditch nose first..