Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Ford Edge ST Forum Here

Photo
- - - - -

AC Gas Leak and Smell - Condenser or Evaporator ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   taal2020

taal2020

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts
  • Region:Middle East

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

Hi, 

The gas in my ac tends to leak and finish quickly (within 2 months), accompanied by bad smell. I have been told this is most likely due to the AC cooler leak. 

Would this be the condenser or the evaporator ? Has anyone else faced this problem ?  

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,848 posts
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

It would be the evaporator, that is inside the vehicle behind the dashboard. The complete dashboard will need to be removed to change the evaporator.

OEM part only comes as a complete assembly, about $380. Evaporator only you can go aftermarket about $60-$80. But because you have to remove complete dashboard, I would highly recommend OEM to make sure you don't need to replace anything else soon.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W and macbwt like this

#3 OFFLINE   taal2020

taal2020

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:53 AM

It would be the evaporator, that is inside the vehicle behind the dashboard. The complete dashboard will need to be removed to change the evaporator.

OEM part only comes as a complete assembly, about $380. Evaporator only you can go aftermarket about $60-$80. But because you have to remove complete dashboard, I would highly recommend OEM to make sure you don't need to replace anything else soon.

Thanks and appreciate the detailed explanation. The mechanic did mention that it would take 2 days to remove and fix the evaporator/cooler, and they have to remove the entire dashboard. 

#4 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,848 posts
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:02 AM

I just noticed you're from Oman. For your information, the dealer here in Qatar charged me about QAR 3,200/- (~330 Omani Riyals) for the complete job with OEM evaporator assembly. (that was for my older 2011 MKX)

Also, if your going ahead with the job, it would be a good time to change the Spark Plugs & PCV valve as the intake manifold was removed during replacement on my old car.

Edited by omar302, 08 April 2018 - 03:08 AM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users