Converting from Halogen to OEM HID

I have a 2017 Edge Titanium that came with Halogen headlamps, but I bought OEM (factory) HID headlamps off of Ebay to use. I need to find a mod (possibly FORScan) to tell the BCM that the car is equipped with HIDs. My dealer checked with Ford, but was told I could not change. Does anyone know if this is correct or not? Thanks

Edited by Ghhuff

sadly, your in an uphill battle. Would have been probably cheaper to retrofit the lights, and you would have had better lighting. I'm curious, how much you paid for OEM HID lights off ebay, hopefully no broken tabs too. I'm looking for a set to cut open and modify to my liking.

your post would be better suited on hidplanet.comand headlight junkies on facebook

Edited by Nick Halstead

I looked carefully for almost a year, and got lucky. I found a ford dealer that wanted to unload excess parts, got the left for $525. And a dealer liquidation for $500 for the right side. Both were brand new and I got the ballasts for about $30 on eBay. Much more economical than the usual dealer cost of $1000 to $1500 each side. Im currently using the oem lights with a capacitor and relay and they work fine, for headlights, but I have non functional DRLs on the HID units.

From the 2015+ F150 sheet, there is a line in the BCM that sets the type of headlight, (don't know if it helps):

726-25-02 xxx* xxxx xxxx Headlamp Style Cfg: 0=BI_FUNC Halogen, 1=BI_FUNC HID, 2=Dual, 3=Quad

Ā 

Also, better check if the wiring is the same. I remember a person did something similar to a 2010 Taurus Limited where he installed OEM HID headlights from a Taurus SHO, but at the time he had to make some wiring changes (found the thread).

Ā 

Also, if the wiring is correct (or corrected), you'll need to change the DRL to enable the stock OEM DRL of the new headlights because on HID headlight they are "dedicated" DRL versus "High beam" on the Halogen setup.

Ā 

From the 2G Fusion sheet:

726-45-01 (2014+ MY) xxxx XXxx xxxx (Note: This setting enables all choices in the list for DRL options) (BdyCM)

Set value at XX to 7F

726-50-01 (2014+ MY) XXxx
(BdyCM) 01 (Disabled - Default (USA) / No DRL)
02 (Enabled - DRL Low Beams)
04 (Enabled - DRL Front Fog Lamps)
08 (Enabled - DRL Front Turn Lamps)
10 (Enabled - DRL Dedicated) - Enables BCM DRL Outputs - C2280C Pins 36 (Right) and 40 (Left)
20 (Enabled - DRL High Beams)
40 (Enabled - DRL Low Beams and Dedicated)

Ā 

• Like 1

Thanks omar302! Yes the wiring is the same. I have the wiring manual. I had the dealer check and they found a parameter for DRLs, but none for HIDs. The dlr parameter I s only (permanent on or off), which I can already select on my dashboard menu. If anyone can find an exact parameter for HIDs in the Edge, that would be most helpful, as I suspect it also sets the drls to function, with this type of headlight assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

Ā 

Hi Omar302, after chasing 2 Ford dealers to enable my DRLs (I offered to pay) and being refused, I decided to order an OHP ELM327 and will use Forscan to try it myself. Hopefully Ill get a chance to try it this coming weekend. Let me know if you have any tricks or words of wisdom for me. Ill report back in this thread of my results.

Hi Omar302, after chasing 2 Ford dealers to enable my DRLs (I offered to pay) and being refused, I decided to order an OHP ELM327 and will use Forscan to try it myself. Hopefully Ill get a chance to try it this coming weekend. Let me know if you have any tricks or words of wisdom for me. Ill report back in this thread of my results.

Can't you turn your DRL's on and off from the info panel?

Settings->> Vehicle->> lighting->> DRL (on/off)

• Like 1

Yes I can turn on from the info panel.. but let me explain further. I need to enable the DRLs in the BCM to work with the separate DRL bulbs in the OEM HID headlight assemblies that I installed to upgrade and replace the original Halogen assemblies that came with the car. Currently, the DRL config in the BCM thinks I have Halogens and uses the same bulb for DRLs as the headlights at a reduced intensity. So Ill change the parameter for discreet DRLs...instead of combined.

Here are the as built values from a Canadian Sport Edge with DRL enabled by default from Factory. Make note that for Canadian Edge the DRL menu in the left IPC is not available

Ā 

IPC 720-02-01 69A4 2C50 1ED1
BCM 726-16-02 0202 0202 024F
BCM 726-21-01 1401 0001 0267
BCM 726-45-01 0A00 1100 018F
BCM 726-50-01 108E
  • Like 1

Thanks ONEDGE16. I just tried to write 108E for 726-50-01, and get writing blocks failed-incompatible configuration. And it goes back to 0280. So something is not happy trying this. I may try changing 726-45-01 to your config and then 726-50-01 and see how that goes tomorrow.

Ignore the checksum error, it will correct itself (I'm not sure if it's done by ForScan or the module).

Ā 

As for 7F, my understanding is that your BCM is programmed with a certain fog light setting (low beams in your case) and the BCM would not allow you to change (the error you're getting), by setting the "7F" it is like your telling the BCM to accept other fog light settings, then you can change it.