2015 2.0 gurgling ac on passenger side

Has anyone else experienced a gurgling noise coming from the passenger side floorboard area with the ac on low? Our 2015 has made this noise for quite some time now, and it seems to be getting worse lately. The last time we took it in for service, we were told that the cabin filter had collapsed (it hadn't) and was causing the noise, but even with the filter completely removed for testing the noise still persists.

It sounds identical to an issue that Lexus RX350's were experiencing, and that was fixed by replacing a TXV and connecting tube, but I can't find anything from Ford regarding the Edge. Just curious to see if i'm alone in this experience, or if there are others that have run into this issue.

Have you/dealer cleaned the drain tube?

Yep, definitely not a drain tube issue. Noise stops as soon as the power button is pressed on the controls, and when operational the drain flows rather well (as indicated by my checking and the puddles left on my garage floor).

Is this a once a trip sort of occurrence, and perhaps only on first startup? This won't apply to your Edge, but my wife's 2010 2.5 Fusion did the same thing the entire time she owned it. (it was replaced with a 2016 Fusion) Ford did a TSB fix for it, but after we took hers in for several dealer attempted fixes we gave up on it and just ignored it. The noise in her Fusion never progressed to anything worse.

Is this a once a trip sort of occurrence, and perhaps only on first startup? This won't apply to your Edge, but my wife's 2010 2.5 Fusion did the same thing the entire time she owned it. (it was replaced with a 2016 Fusion) Ford did a TSB fix for it, but after we took hers in for several dealer attempted fixes we gave up on it and just ignored it. The noise in her Fusion never progressed to anything worse.

Nope, issue happens usually after about 5-10 minutes of driving once the HVAC blower speed slows down to minimum, and only occurs with the a/c engaged. Turning the HVAC system off or stopping the a/c compressor results in the noise stopping immediately (thus eliminating the possibility of an air pocket in the heater core). Numerous trips in the same day produce the same noise as well, and the noise never stops once it begins during the trip.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say, but it sounds a lot like an expansion valve issue or possibly low refrigerant.

Sounds like something to do with Freon or oil in the evaporator percolating and making noise. liquid Freon or an abundance of refrigerant oil shouldn't be accumulating in the evaporator. Just a guess by the description of the noise and that it only happens when the compressor is running. I might suggest to the dealership that the system should be evacuated and refilled to specifications and that the expansion valve be replaced.

Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like something to do with Freon or oil in the evaporator percolating and making noise. liquid Freon or an abundance of refrigerant oil shouldn't be accumulating in the evaporator. Just a guess by the description of the noise and that it only happens when the compressor is running. I might suggest to the dealership that the system should be evacuated and refilled to specifications and that the expansion valve be replaced.

Keep us posted.

Ironically enough I suggested the exact same thing to the dealership when I dropped it off a week ago today. Last night, I was called and told the noise couldn't be duplicated after driving the car multiple times over the last few days. Funny enough, I showed up, turned the air on, turned the blower to the lowest setting, and the noise immediately started. Service advisor comes out to take a listen, and says "sounds like their might be liquid refrigerant in the evaporator, we might need to evacuate the system and possibly replace the expansion valve as well". :doh:

I guess my Ford dealership just isn't used to customers actually having somewhat of a clue...

• Like 1

Well, picked it up on Friday (after they had the car for a week and a half), a/c system was evacuated and refilled, and the EVAP purge valve was replaced. Idle surge was still there, a/c was still gurgling...

So, last night it got traded on a 2018 Grand Cherokee Altitude. I am over dealing with Ford and their terrible network of dealerships, Chevrolet and Chrysler have both been too good to me to keep dealing with these issues.

• Like 1