ice cream machine

enigma-2

Wife put me on notice, she wants an ice cream machine. Wants to make home-made ice cream on the patio this summer.

Anyone know what I should be looking for? What's good, what's bad. Have plenty of ice available.

if you have the ice, you need the cream. Am I reading this right?

• Like 2

Thanks, but looking for ice type. No room in freezer.

Those canisters are pretty small and they’re a lot easier to use on the countertop.

But if you really want to go old school.....

https://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-ICMP400WD-4-Quart-Electric-Bucket/dp/B00C5ZK93G/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_lp_t_3/139-8682505-6229648?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YZA08E5M3CMCAG6X3GMK

• Like 1

I have an ice cream machine that has the cooling system built-in. No need to use ice or freeze anything. granted, it's more expensive but it works perfectly and i wouldn't use any other kind of machine. a quick search shows that cuisinart and breville make them as well as a few other brands.

Ahhh....Ice cream sandwiches. I have never heard them called big wheels before. And I’m also old. :)

I was thinking take a big wheel kids plastic trike and use it to turn the ice cream churn.

That's what we called it when we had a Big Wheel.

Though I always liked my Crazy Car better:

Edited by Brucifer
  • Like 1

I'm talking about a standard big wheel you rode around on. The one big wheel up front and two in back with the hand brake on one rear wheel.

Flip that thing over and crank the pedals by hand. It was called making ice cream. No idea why, but everyone knew what it was when I was growing up.

I'm talking about a standard big wheel you rode around on. The one big wheel up front and two in back with the hand brake on one rear wheel.

Flip that thing over and crank the pedals by hand. It was called making ice cream. No idea why, but everyone knew what it was when I was growing up.

So I was right about the big wheel reference although I've never heard it in reference to ice cream.

It's simple - it was emulating a hand crank ice cream churn. My grandparents had one and we had to take turns cranking it by hand for about 30 minutes.

I feel so old. Big wheels, ice cream sandwiches, all I wanted to know was, what was a good (cheap) ice cream machine. You know, the kind you make on the patio, with ice. Come spring, when it comes (snowing in Northern Indiana again today), it's off to Wally World or Tarjai. It will probably get used twice.

I'm sorry but $750 for an ice cream machine is a bit pricy for me. For that amount of money, it's got to be an espresso machine, something better than my La Pavoni.