Waze via AppLink - is it working?

Just trying to see who successfully has the AppLink working?

Apparently you need to have SYNC 3.0 (check the ford owners site for the update) installed and the latest Waze version 4.37.00 (as of April 15th).

I have the latest version of Sync 3 (release build 18093, google it) and Waze.

Im on IOS 11.1.2 and it is NOT working. Im wondering if it is an IOS version issue as well.

Ugh. It worked for 20 min. I wish I could recall the steps I took to make it work. I turned off Bluetooth, disabled apps via usb in the mobile apps menu. Then connected and it was working (no sound on Waze).

Then I disconnected usb to see if it would reconnect once I plugged in and no go. Cant get it to reconnect.

Also, I wish Waze would work (when it was working) on the mini map (home screen). It only works if you select the Waze tab.

Edited by candurin

it is on my 2016 edge with replaced usb hub to get CarPlay. i came to work this morning with waze on infotainment. i reconnected it few times. yesterday i updated mobile apps on Sync 3. this morning i was driving when i checked "List Mobile Apps" i saw waze icon. reconnected few times - connect cable to the phone, waze icon comes up. click on it, it says connecting device - start waze on phone.

I went back out to the Edge and tried updating mobile apps again and then connected my iPhone 7 and starte Waze and it worked. I tried several disconnects and reconnects and it still worked. I then shut off the car and went into the house and programmed several favorites addresses into Waze then went back out and restarted the car and connected the iPhone and Waze worked ok. Seems like it takes a few tries or a restarts of vehicle for the updating of mobile apps to work?

Also found out that if my phone is connected to bluetooth and I connect my wife's by USB Waze will work from her phone. The thing is that while using Waze that's connected to her phone and inputting a destination on the car display there is a clicking sound for each input. If I switch her phone to bluetooth connection and use Waze by the USB then there is no clicking sound.

I hope in future revision to either Ford or Waze that the buttons on the bottom of the car display when using Waze would scroll down like when using the Ford navigation, this allows the map display to be bigger.

Edited by FordGuy1

I was able to get Waze to connect and work on my wife’s 2016 Sport.

Here is some info and steps I followed if this helps anyone:

1. Tested to work on these phones : iPhone X, 7s, and 6s all running IOS 11.3

2. Sync 3 updated to V3 build 18025

3. I am not using an updated USB (as required for Apple Car Play)

4. Started car and made sure car was connected to my local home WiFi

5. Made sure Waze was updated to current version on phone

6. Forced a cold reboot of the phone

7. Make sure phone is unlocked

8. Connect phone via USB

9. In Sync force find update mobile apps

10. Disconnect phone

11. Force a cold reboot of the phone

12. Reconnect phone and Waze appeared on Sync

I was messing around last night trying to get Waze to work. I only played with it for about 10 minutes, but it seems you can only do CarPlay or Waze its one or the other.

I had to disable CarPlay for it to work and when it did it was buggy and sluggish. I think there are some updates needed before its working perfectly.

When CarPlay is enabled the Mobile App button is grayed out and will not work properly. I wish Apple would just let it run through CarPlay.

Once I connect my phone, it automatically brings up android auto. I have to back out of android auto and go back to sync. Once I am in sync mobile apps is locked out for me. It is only accessible if I disconnect my phone.

You have to turn off Android auto and carplay in settings to use the mobile apps

Tried Waze last night on a drive home and it worked ok. I noticed that the display showing were your vehicle is located is shifted off center to the right. I thought this was because of transfering to the Ford screen but then when I got home and disconnected my phone I found out that Waze in landscape mode on the phone is off centered, hope Waze fixes this. See "Almun" third picture in above post, it shows the off center display.

After messing with it for a bit, got it to work for me in my 2016 Edge. I love that we have this option. A few things I noticed though.

1). Screen seems to be very low contrast for some reason. 2). If you turn off phone (lock screen) map freezes. You have to keep waze app active and phone on at all times. 3). Kind of glitchy. Freezes up every now and then. 4) Waze icon appears on left panel in main screen but no map. Have to be on full screen Nav to work.

Edited by jwm22222

Tried Waze last night on a drive home and it worked ok. I noticed that the display showing were your vehicle is located is shifted off center to the right. I thought this was because of transfering to the Ford screen but then when I got home and disconnected my phone I found out that Waze in landscape mode on the phone is off centered, hope Waze fixes this. See "Almun" third picture in above post, it shows the off center display.

I see the same off-center screen. I used the WAZE app on my phone to send a support/feedback request to Waze.

Good afternoon. Finally got waze to work the other day...didn't really do anything different...it just started working. Out of curiosity is there any way to give it voice commands while its connected or do addresses need to me manually input on the touch screen? I know there are voice commands that work when the phone is not connected but was wondering if there is a way to activate it while plugged in.

Thanks

Interesting thing on the off-center display. Yesterday I was driving with WAZE running for directions and it had the off-center display with the large black rectangle directions on the left side about centered. I pulled into a gas station and turned off the vehicle without disconnecting or changing the iPhone connection. When I restarted the vehicle WAZE started back up and resume its directions but the display was now centered and the black rectangle directions as smaller in height and at the top of the map display. The directions were readable and the display was exactly the way I would want it. The next time I turned off the vehicle and restarted the display was again off-centered but the black rectangle was still smaller in height but now it was down a little from the top of the map display. It seems that either Ford or WAZE have a few different display selections which would be fine if we could select the one we want and keep it that way.

Anyone else experience this?

• 2 weeks later...

I have not checked lately because now the phone sits in the center console but I used to have the same thing happen when using google maps or waze with the iphone by itself. Also it needed to be plugged it to a 2.1 amp charger or it would slowly lose charge on a basic 1amp charger or 0.5amp like the usb from the older Ford escape. Screen always on + nav apps uses a lot of energy.

Edited by Fastfwd75