Trans Fluid low - or needs to be driven for looooong time?

sgkukov

Hey Guys,

Have had my Edge for a month-ish now, been a great car so far.

Decided to check the trans fluid recently after about 15-20 minutes of city driving. The fluid showed low almost at the bottom of the dipstick register. Freaked out a bit, drove to Wal Mart for the LV stuff, bough it, checked the fluid again in the parking lot, still showed low.

Got home 10 minutes later, checked the fluid again and it showed full. Not sure what do?

Does the Edge just take a really long time to warm up to check the trans fluid?

I have found it does take quite awhile to get trans up to temp. Supposed to be safe as long as it shows on hash.

I just changed my fluid. 50,000 miles. Manual says 150,000 but I'm old school.

Was changing engine oil 3,000 using Motorcraft blend, I switched to Valvoline syn-power full synthetic, now change at 5,000.

I have the 3.5 engine so I also changed the coolant hoping to prolong the water pump. Don't want it going out. The internal water pump is one of Fords bad ideas and I say this being a Ford man.

I really like my Edge. Nothing gone wrong yet. knock on wood.

2013 Edge Sel

Larry

Northern, In.

post-26092-0-79367000-1524228401_thumb.jpg

3,000 using Motorcraft blend, I switched to Valvoline syn-power full synthetic, now change at 5,000.

I have the 3.5 engine so I also changed the coolant hoping to prolong the water pump. Don't want it going out. The internal water pump is one of Fords bad ideas and I say this being a Ford man.

I really like my Edge. Nothing gone wrong yet. knock on wood.

2013 Edge Sel

Larry

Northern, In.

Oh yes, good call on the water pump. I'm a ford guy too, i typically don't get into brand loyalty but all of my fords have treated me well. Had a 2003 Explorer that gave me zero problems in the 6 years i had it. Still have a 2010 Mustang V6. Both the Mustang and Explorer both had the 4.0L that has been really really really good to me. (knock of wood) now that my Edge uses the 3.5l i suppose the next vehicle will be a 2011-2016 Mustang uses the nearly identical 3.7L. Ive heard but havn't checked that the water pump is external on that model car due to it being a longitude mounted motor (enough room to make it external)

Alright, my first oil change I am checking the PTU oil and maybe maybe changing the anti-freeze. The new stuff they use is supposed to be not corrosive at all. Ive seen too many car guy that really know their stuff and do their own maintenance always having problems and parts wearing quickly for them. Seems like they might change things or get involved sooner then they need to. I try to avoid that.

Edited by sgkukov

Check with your local Service MANAGER before going with the latest OAT coolant.

Reason is, Ford specifically engineered the newer motors to have special blade geometry and a slower spin so that less cavitation is caused in the coolant circuit. (Cavitation is what causes a lot of pitting in the cooling systems).

He can advise what's best for your specific engine & year. If you decide to change coolant type, follow the Ford recommandations and do a proper and thorough flush. Mixing green and orange can cause a silica compound (basically sand and other nasty stuff) to fall out of solution. This is what will kill your engine and clog your coolant passage ways.

Believe there's a procedure out on this (is for my 09). Anyways, Service Manager can advise proper process. Quite involved.

• Like 1

2013 can use Motorcraft Orange coolant. You can use aftermarket universal extended life that has been used in place of the Motorcraft Gold and Green coolants, but I have a sneaking/unconfirmed suspicion that the Dex-Cool extended life coolants might be an even better fit for your Edge.

It is advisable to completely flush out the old coolant before adding in new coolant, especially when changing brands. They may meet the spec, but do not have to arrive at it the same way. Due to the unknowns in how the chemistry might interact, purge the old before installing the new. Keeps the engine healthier in the long run. If its a topoff issue, I would rather just use a little distilled water than mix coolants. Keep a jug of distilled water in your emergency supplies. A dealership can even top it off for you with MC coolant if you are able to get your Edge there in time. No need to buy a full jug just to have it laying around.