Drivebright HID's Anyone?

Anyone running the HID setup from drivebright on their 2015+ Edge?

I hear good things about the previous model year, but haven't found much info for those that have them on the gen 2 edge. I'm probably going to pick up a set. I don't do much night driving, and I never have them set on "auto", but I'm hoping the 6k drivebright will be closer to the white color of the signature lights rather than the current halogen "yellow"

Edit:

I purchased the 6000k from daytime bright lights aka drivebright and they are a great match. check out my installation thread here:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/24271-how-to-hid-headlight-installation-from-drive-bright/

Edited by Mikula

Anyone running the HID setup on their 2015+ Edge?

I hear good things about the previous model year, but haven't found much info for those that have them on the gen 2 edge. I'm probably going to pick up a set. I don't do much night driving, and I never have them set on "auto", but I'm hoping the 6k drivebright will be closer to the white color of the signature lights rather than the current halogen "yellow"

I'm pretty sure my 2017 Sport came with HID's - they're white.

Edited by 1004ron

I have been looking at those to. Gave them a call and answered quickly and was very helpful. I’m like you. I want it to be white not yellow. I just can’t make my mind up on which bulb.

I went for it and bought the 6k last night. I will let you know how they look in comparison to the signature lights in the bumper. They offer free returns including return shipping so I really figured why not.

• Like 2

I was recommended the 6k to match the signature lights. it appears much closer than 4300. if they are too "blue" at 6k, its free returns, no harm done. looks is all i'm after. effectiveness is not important. I've been driving with headlights from a 97 sebring, a 95 dakota, an 89 mustang, a 98 4runner, an 01 bmw. believe me, these lights will be much better than what I'm used to regardless

• Like 1

I went for it and bought the 6k last night. I will let you know how they look in comparison to the signature lights in the bumper. They offer free returns including return shipping so I really figured why not.

I was looking at 35 watt 5000k. But then I keep thinking 6000k would be better. That’s why I can’t decide. I definitely don’t want blue lights. If you go by the pics on web sight the 5k is good.

Standard halogen bulbs produce light around 3200K while some of the "enhanced" halogen bulbs may go as high as 4300K (e.g. Philips WhiteVision). 4300K is slightly yellow but still much whiter than typical halogen. 4300K is the standard color of factory HID headlights and is generally considered the most effective color for vision. Once you start going above 4300K, the lights will often appear brighter because the human eye doesn't see blue tint as well as other colors so it is interpreted as glare. 5000K is generally considered pure white while 6000K is "ice" or "crystal" white (a slight blue tint). The loss of effective lighting with either of those is measurable but not significant. 8000K is pale blue with a noticeable loss of effectiveness. Anything above 8000K is for show only because the loss of effective lighting is huge. 10000K is really blue and 12000K is violet.

• Like 4

I think there's also a color difference depending on how powerful your ballasts are. Higher wattage ballasts would make 6000K bulbs look more white I believe. I was thinking of changing my ballasts from 35 to 55 watts to take some of the blue out of my 5000's but I think bulb life goes Bye-Bye.

• Like 1

Yes, you are correct. Running bulbs with more current makes them run hotter which skews the color away from the blue end of the spectrum. But, as you said, the tradeoff is that running hotter shortens their life (sometimes by as much as half) and the added heat can be a problem for the lamp housing as well. With the cost of HID bulbs being quite reasonable, it would be better to just change out the bulbs with ones that have the color you want rather than overdrive the bulbs you have to modify the color.

5000K bulbs should have essentially no blue tint when viewed straight on but like all HIDs will have a color shift toward blue/violet when viewed off-axis. Even OEM 4300K HIDs will look somewhat blue when seen from an angle... it's a side effect of the design. It's an easy way to differentiate between HIDs and tinted halogen bulbs - the halogen bulbs will be the same color regardless of angle.

• Like 2

I was looking at 35 watt 5000k. But then I keep thinking 6000k would be better. That’s why I can’t decide. I definitely don’t want blue lights. If you go by the pics on web sight the 5k is good.

I installed the 6000k today. it is a damn close match. They take a second to warm up apparently. when I first fired them up, they were a bit blue, and I was quite disappointed. by the time i went in to the house to get the wife and show her, they looked spot on. really REALLY happy with them. I'm going to post a "how to" tomorrow. I found a nice little spot to hide everything, and a few tricks along the way.

• Like 1