Oil Pressure sensor

elee

My Ford Edge has an oil pressure low warning come on randomly while driving. It clears instantly but always flickers back on randomly. Has anyone had this issue or can point me in the right direction. I was thinking a faulty oil pressure switch. I have a 2013 Edge SEL with 6 cylinder

Probably the sensor, but did you check the oil level just to be safe?

Yes i Checked the oil. plenty in the car still. It is getting close to time to replace the oil. I will most likely change the oil and the filter when i swap the sensor.

The "sensor" is a "dumb" switch. It is prone to leaking over time, so I would check for that.

Changed the oil last night and took a look at the switch. It does appear to be leaking some. what is the fix for that just replace the switch?

• Like 1

Changed the oil last night and took a look at the switch. It does appear to be leaking some. what is the fix for that just replace the switch?

Depends on where its leaking from, if its the mounting thread, then re-installing it with thread sealer should take care of it, but if the oil is coming from the electrical switch section, then a replacement is your only option.

If there's minor leakage at the mounting thread, its not going to give you false low pressure warnings, but if its leaking into the electrical switch it could be giving false indications.

Until the actual oil pressure is confirmed, I'd not drive the vehicle.

• Like 1

Depends on where its leaking from, if its the mounting thread, then re-installing it with thread sealer should take care of it, but if the oil is coming from the electrical switch section, then a replacement is your only option.

If there's minor leakage at the mounting thread, its not going to give you false low pressure warnings, but if its leaking into the electrical switch it could be giving false indications.

Until the actual oil pressure is confirmed, I'd not drive the vehicle.

Ok thanks. I got a new switch from Ford yesterday and will replace it tonight. I think it is leaking through the switch

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Bump for an old thread....I have a 2013 Ford Edge Sport. Mine just started flashing the intermittent Low Oil Pressure Warning light. Generally just at idle. If this were a true low oil pressure situation, then anything hydraulic would start rattling once oil pressure dropped off so this is clearly a false indication as mine is still quiet as a mouse. What is the consensus ...replace the sender/sensor? 

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2019 at 8:03 AM, Radical337 said:

Bump for an old thread....I have a 2013 Ford Edge Sport. Mine just started flashing the intermittent Low Oil Pressure Warning light. Generally just at idle. If this were a true low oil pressure situation, then anything hydraulic would start rattling once oil pressure dropped off so this is clearly a false indication as mine is still quiet as a mouse. What is the consensus ...replace the sender/sensor? 

When I bought my Edge last November about two weeks after the low oil pressure light came on and went right off when I pressed the gas at a stoplight. I got upset because I thought the dealer sold me a busted car. I know how serious low-pressure oil can be to your car.

I knew it was actually the switch based on the fact that I am a mechanic with knowledge about the issue and I didn't need a manual oil pressure gauge to check it. When you are sitting at a light and the switch goes off repeatedly randomly, but then you press the gas to get up to 2000 rpm, or when you have it happen so much and then it stops for 2 weeks but then starts randomly again and you go under the car and see oil leaking from the switch, it might be the switch. 

I replaced the switch and the oil pressure switch connector because the wiring was soaked in oil and it was bad. The leak got so bad that I drove for 2 days while knowing the leak was so serious that I ran out of oil. I was doing some testing and I placed 5 quarts of cheap oil in it and it was gone in 2 days. You could start the car and watch a large puddle arise within 10 minutes. It was bad, but once I replaced the switch the light never came on again. I first replaced the connector and the light came on right away, but then replaced the switch and the light on the dash went away. At one point for a few days, the light stayed on the dash and I just ignored it. I did have a thought that what it this beautiful car did have low engine oil problems but then I was like Nah.

Sometimes you think that you have a major engine issue but it's just a sensor. The oil pressure switch is one of those things that would make someone say that you should stop driving and it's understandable but it wasn't bad oil pressure, it was just a faulty switch which caused me about $50 dollars in oil loss and the switch was $13 dollars at Autozone.

I bought the switch when the light came on 2 weeks after I owned the car and did not replace the actual switch until about 7 months later. Off and on the switch would throw the indicator on the dash but I just ignored it. Maybe I got too confident with my analysis instead of doing a check and chose to be lazy, but it was still the switch and nothing more.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sanoa said:

When I bought my Edge last November about two weeks after the low oil pressure light came on and went right off when I pressed the gas at a stoplight. I got upset because I thought the dealer sold me a busted car. I know how serious low-pressure oil can be to your car.

I knew it was actually the switch based on the fact that I am a mechanic with knowledge about the issue and I didn't need a manual oil pressure gauge to check it. When you are sitting at a light and the switch goes off repeatedly randomly, but then you press the gas to get up to 2000 rpm, or when you have it happen so much and then it stops for 2 weeks but then starts randomly again and you go under the car and see oil leaking from the switch, it might be the switch. 

I replaced the switch and the oil pressure switch connector because the wiring was soaked in oil and it was bad. The leak got so bad that I drove for 2 days while knowing the leak was so serious that I ran out of oil. I was doing some testing and I placed 5 quarts of cheap oil in it and it was gone in 2 days. You could start the car and watch a large puddle arise within 10 minutes. It was bad, but once I replaced the switch the light never came on again. I first replaced the connector and the light came on right away, but then replaced the switch and the light on the dash went away. At one point for a few days, the light stayed on the dash and I just ignored it. I did have a thought that what it this beautiful car did have low engine oil problems but then I was like Nah.

Sometimes you think that you have a major engine issue but it's just a sensor. The oil pressure switch is one of those things that would make someone say that you should stop driving and it's understandable but it wasn't bad oil pressure, it was just a faulty switch which caused me about $50 dollars in oil loss and the switch was $13 dollars at Autozone.

I bought the switch when the light came on 2 weeks after I owned the car and did not replace the actual switch until about 7 months later. Off and on the switch would throw the indicator on the dash but I just ignored it. Maybe I got too confident with my analysis instead of doing a check and chose to be lazy, but it was still the switch and nothing more.

Me, I don't gamble.

If the oil light comes on, I stop the engine immediately until the problem is clearly identified and resolved - always trust the oil pressure instruments until proven wrong, and until then, don't run the engine.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My problem is a little different. I drive my 2013 Edge about 8,000mi a year but every 5-6 mos it tells me to change my oil. I use synthetic oil, which should last 10,000mi and I don't want to get rid of the good oil. Is there a way to not have this message appear so often?

Using strictly miles to determine oil change time is a fallacy.  It is very dependent on the nature of the miles - highway, mixed, city.  You drive less than the average driver in the U.S., almost 50% less, and sounds like either mixed or city conditions are a significant portion of those miles.

Engine hours (use Trip 2 to help track) is a much better way of correlating oil change warnings to actual need.

Are you the original owner of the vehicle?  You might want to check at what level the warning of remaining oil life is set.  By default I think it is 10% but some are aggressive enough to change it to 50% due to either changing oil early, or knowing they won't go into the shop right after the warning pops up, etc.

Oil is cheap compared to a new engine, or having to replace the water pump/timing system parts.  Don't worry too much, use only full synthetic.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 7:05 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Are you the original owner of the vehicle?  You might want to check at what level the warning of remaining oil life is set.  By default I think it is 10% but some are aggressive enough to change it to 50% due to either changing oil early, or knowing they won't go into the shop right after the warning pops up, etc.

Not sure I'm reading that correctly, but how do I go about changing the service due alert to 50% ?

Photo_20190902_103201.JPG

Photo_20190902_103216.JPG

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

It may not allow you to do this in the base cluster, but in the advanced cluster, under Settings/Vehicle Settings, Vehicle, Oil Life Reset, you can set the desired % for the light to come on.

EDIT:  Base cluster - go into Settings, Convenience, Oil Life Reset.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

It may not allow you to do this in the base cluster, but in the advanced cluster, under Settings/Vehicle Settings, Vehicle, Oil Life Reset, you can set the desired % for the light to come on.

Thanks for the info PerfA, I'm going to take a look at it as soon as I take a lunch break!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Thanks, but no such option on my 2017 Sport.

• Like 1