G2 Edge Sport Catch Can

Xtra

What options did you order and what's the total price?

Ordered a billet one with standard hose. The braided hose cost to much and is unnecessary bling. Braided hose is great for high pressure or wear resistance. I paid $498.99 + shipping for a total of $517.99. If it prevents things like in these photos then it is money well spent . What is the use of porting heads or a 3 angle valve job if they collect junk like in these photos.
post-46130-0-87445300-1524617937_thumb.jpeg post-46130-0-62908000-1524618033_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-01308200-1524618098_thumb.jpg
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Just installed my teamrxp catch can this past weekend got the base one (non-billet). In my spare time Im gonna put together a pdf instruction set as the vid on teamrxps Facebook page was missing some steps.

Also be patient, it took about 3 weeks for me to receive mine.

Edited by Randhj

"Unnecessary" and "bling". Didn't think ANY bling was unnecessary for an Edge Sport!

OKOk,You got me. I did not want to pony up another $159 on top of the $517. :shrug:

Plus in CA they are illegal and did not need the attention braided hose would bring.

One would think that a devise that keeps all that gunk from entering the atmosphere would be encouraged.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Anxiously awaiting results & how to write up with Pics...;-)

Best not to hold your breath on this one, it will be quite a while before I get around to installing it. I have a ton of other projects to do first and some of the parts have not arrived yet to even get started.

It will be a transformation of the car when complete :rockon:B) . And if you can wait I will post the install . That is unless someone else beats me to it. ;)

• Like 1

how often do you think these would these have to be cleaned out? Hopefully not too much of a pita, looks like a solid unit. Definitely putting on the list of parts to buy :)

It has a petcock and a drain tube , makes it easy to empty without removing the unit like others have to do.

• Like 1

Ordered a billet one with standard hose. The braided hose cost to much and is unnecessary bling. Braided hose is great for high pressure or wear resistance. I paid $498.99 + shipping for a total of $517.99. If it prevents things like in these photos then it is money well spent . What is the use of porting heads or a 3 angle valve job if they collect junk like in these photos.

I've seen photos like that of carburetor engines - what's the origin of those?

how often do you think these would these have to be cleaned out? Hopefully not too much of a pita, looks like a solid unit. Definitely putting on the list of parts to buy :)

I've found with my 2.0 Ecoboost that i get more in the winter months that i do the summer months. It catches A LOT when the temps are at freezing & below. I've only had mine on the Edge for 14 months, so i don't have a lot of info if it gets worse with time, but I can tell you that during the summer last year, I barely get a few drops. We'll see if this year makes a bit of a difference. Here's a link to my teamrxp catch can doing it's thing:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13407-what-have-you-done-towith-your-edgemkx-today/?view=findpost&p=179739

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22063-oil-catch-can-on-the-20l-ecoboost/page-3?do=findComment&comment=184114

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

Hi to everyone,

I wanted to comment on the issue of the oil catch can since it seems to be a little confusing to some owners. However at the same time I am also commenting on my experiences with this issue as I have installed various catch cans on a number of vehicles over the years. The main point at the end of the day is that 'YES' this is a VERY IMPORTANT piece of equipment to install into your vehicle whether it is turbocharged, supercharged or normally aspirated. They do an amazing job of keeping residual oil from being introduced back into the engine where it doesn't belong and causing major damage.

I have installed catch cans on my 2012 Boss 302, 2016 Shelby GT350, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee, and my 2013 W204 C63 AMG. The only one that cost an arm and a leg was the unit for the AMG. It was a truly beautiful piece of kit and was built to very high standards. The catch cans I installed into the Boss 302 and GT350 were JLT pieces, and were so easy to install it just wasn't even funny. They offer a catch can for both the driver and passenger side, and come in black anodized or polished aluminum. Plus JLT do a very good job with their catch cans. I highly recommend them, which brings me to my next point. The JLT units are also very well-made and of very high quality. All you do to empty the oil residue is unscrew the bottom of the can and empty it. You then screw it back on and your'e done.

I have a good relationship with JLT as I have purchased a number of their products. I contacted Vinny at JLT this morning and he told me the only reason they haven't completed a kit for the 2.7L Ecoboost is because they need a vehicle for a day as a template to tweek the hoses and put the kit together. The great thing about the JLT kits I have installed is they all have direct connect OEM fittings. This means you pop off the OEM hoses and pop on the new ones with the oil catch can. You mount the can and it's done. Also ALL of their catch cans are billet aluminum and hold 3 oz of oil. You just don't need anything bigger. Also there is no reason to plumb the cans to every part of the PCV system. That is one reason for the water and gunk that is coming out of so many of the current kits some folks have installed. Being a remote kit is a huge issue because the hoses are so long and temperature differences then play a part as well. The JLT catch cans are mounted close to the engine so this isn't a major concern. I am being told that once a vehicle is in their facility they will put it all together and then sell the kits. The great thing here is whoever will supply their vehicle for this initial design visit will get the kit for free.

They are located in Chesapeake, Virginia. If anyone is interested you can contact Vinny directly and work out the details with him. I am not in the area or I would do it myself. The reason I am suggesting JLT is because their cans are all billet aluminum and all hoses have quick disconnect OEM style fittings. Vinny has reached out to several of the Edge forums, however nobody seems to be interested. For $139 or thereabouts for the kit I would imagine there would be a huge amount of owners wanting to make this happen.

I am truly stumped at why manufacturers don't install these catch cans from the factory because it would save them a huge amount of money in repairs over time. However that is a discussion for a different time. Right now I am trying to get these done for folks who don't have $400 or $500 to spend on an item that is necessary. I am not saying anything negative about the kit folks are using now, but to be fair they are stating they are the ONLY company in the USA building a billet aluminum oil catch can, and that just is not true. JLT have been manufacturing these oil catch cans for a long time and have it down to an art. I urge everyone to consider this opportunity and contact Vinny at JLT. He will work with you to set up a time and date and get this thing going. He only needs one Edge 2.7 to get this rolling.

To contact Vinny at JLT Performance, give him a call at 757-335-1940 x107. He is ready to get things started. I hope someone will help as this is a truly neglected issue and JLT Performance can make this happen and for not a lot of money. Good luck and please keep the forum informed if you should decide to put your vehicle in the capable hands of Vinny and his engineers.

Cheers to all

Howie

• Like 2

Just installed my teamrxp catch can this past weekend got the base one (non-billet). In my spare time Im gonna put together a pdf instruction set as the vid on teamrxps Facebook page was missing some steps.

Also be patient, it took about 3 weeks for me to receive mine.

Special K & I R anxiously standing by 4 your "How-To" on this one...;-)

Hi to everyone,

I wanted to comment on the issue of the oil catch can since it seems to be a little confusing to some owners. However at the same time I am also commenting on my experiences with this issue as I have installed various catch cans on a number of vehicles over the years. The main point at the end of the day is that 'YES' this is a VERY IMPORTANT piece of equipment to install into your vehicle whether it is turbocharged, supercharged or normally aspirated. They do an amazing job of keeping residual oil from being introduced back into the engine where it doesn't belong and causing major damage.

I have installed catch cans on my 2012 Boss 302, 2016 Shelby GT350, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee, and my 2013 W204 C63 AMG. The only one that cost an arm and a leg was the unit for the AMG. It was a truly beautiful piece of kit and was built to very high standards. The catch cans I installed into the Boss 302 and GT350 were JLT pieces, and were so easy to install it just wasn't even funny. They offer a catch can for both the driver and passenger side, and come in black anodized or polished aluminum. Plus JLT do a very good job with their catch cans. I highly recommend them, which brings me to my next point. The JLT units are also very well-made and of very high quality. All you do to empty the oil residue is unscrew the bottom of the can and empty it. You then screw it back on and your'e done.

I have a good relationship with JLT as I have purchased a number of their products. I contacted Vinny at JLT this morning and he told me the only reason they haven't completed a kit for the 2.7L Ecoboost is because they need a vehicle for a day as a template to tweek the hoses and put the kit together. The great thing about the JLT kits I have installed is they all have direct connect OEM fittings. This means you pop off the OEM hoses and pop on the new ones with the oil catch can. You mount the can and it's done. Also ALL of their catch cans are billet aluminum and hold 3 oz of oil. You just don't need anything bigger. Also there is no reason to plumb the cans to every part of the PCV system. That is one reason for the water and gunk that is coming out of so many of the current kits some folks have installed. Being a remote kit is a huge issue because the hoses are so long and temperature differences then play a part as well. The JLT catch cans are mounted close to the engine so this isn't a major concern. I am being told that once a vehicle is in their facility they will put it all together and then sell the kits. The great thing here is whoever will supply their vehicle for this initial design visit will get the kit for free.

They are located in Chesapeake, Virginia. If anyone is interested you can contact Vinny directly and work out the details with him. I am not in the area or I would do it myself. The reason I am suggesting JLT is because their cans are all billet aluminum and all hoses have quick disconnect OEM style fittings. Vinny has reached out to several of the Edge forums, however nobody seems to be interested. For $139 or thereabouts for the kit I would imagine there would be a huge amount of owners wanting to make this happen.

I am truly stumped at why manufacturers don't install these catch cans from the factory because it would save them a huge amount of money in repairs over time. However that is a discussion for a different time. Right now I am trying to get these done for folks who don't have $400 or $500 to spend on an item that is necessary. I am not saying anything negative about the kit folks are using now, but to be fair they are stating they are the ONLY company in the USA building a billet aluminum oil catch can, and that just is not true. JLT have been manufacturing these oil catch cans for a long time and have it down to an art. I urge everyone to consider this opportunity and contact Vinny at JLT. He will work with you to set up a time and date and get this thing going. He only needs one Edge 2.7 to get this rolling.

To contact Vinny at JLT Performance, give him a call at 757-335-1940 x107. He is ready to get things started. I hope someone will help as this is a truly neglected issue and JLT Performance can make this happen and for not a lot of money. Good luck and please keep the forum informed if you should decide to put your vehicle in the capable hands of Vinny and his engineers.

Cheers to all

Howie

Snmjim respond to this please, they are looking for a test bed near Chesapeake VA

Edited by Special_K

Hi to everyone,

Cheers to all

Howie

SnmJim & SpecialK (JC Perf Dvlp) have coordinated directly per Howie's direction with Vinny at JLT Performance at 757-335-1940 to perform catch can fitment ASAP.

Results to follow 1-2 Wks!

Hey folks.

I received an email from Vinny earlier stating that someone from the forum has already contacted him about bringing their vehicle to JLT for a fitting. I wish I was in the area, however I am on the other side of the country and unable to do that at this time. So with that being said I truly hope someone does get to JLT soon, which would mean that everyone will be able to install a very high quality oil catch can without having to take out a bank loan or borrow from their kid's college fund in order to purchase one.

I wish someone would have contacted JLT when they reached out to the forum looking for a vehicle to build the system from. I sent images of my 2.7 to Vinny earlier as well and with there being so much to see, he decided to wait until he could see a vehicle in-person. I was going to purchase a can and just run it myself, but I will wait and see when someone gets to him with a vehicle.

I, as a builder, designer, technician and just all-round car guy wanted to do whatever I could to help folks with a reasonably priced kit that was not difficult to install. JLT are very good in that department so I'm crossing my fingers that this goes forward without too much issue. If you have any questions contact me and I will see what the status is. Take care all.

Cheers,

Howie

• Like 1