G2 Edge Sport Catch Can

Xtra

@lildisco, Catch cans are climate\weather sensitive which may explain your seasonal differences. Along with this climate sensitivity they collect moisture which the can does not capture and goes to the intake.

Yes i know seasonal changes can effect what the can catches. The can collects vapor from the crankcase/PCV, wether its oil/gas/water/combination of all, & then it condensates on materials in the can & collects it in the bottom portion of the can. So, I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say with your above comment.

Cars that are constantly in high rpm's or have a constant heavy load on the engine, will have blow by, which is vented back through the intake manifold & coke on the back of the valves because of the heat from combustion chamber. The purpose of the can is catch most/all of this before its injected back into the intake.

Edited by lildisco

lidisco,

http://www.oilem.com/turbo-fuel-stratified-injection-tsfi-direct-port-injection-carbon-build-up-problem/

if the link doesn't take you there, search catch cans. The Petroleum Institute and others offer much more technical information on this if interested.

Not sure what your point is? A little bit of Oil is supposed to go into the intake for lubrication? Adding AR6900-P MAX will neutralize the effects of this? This doesn't appear to be available in the US.

Question:

To assess whether the JLT catch can will work on your vehicle, pull the short hose off and inspect it internally, visually and with a Q-Tip, and if it is bone dry would that be a sign that your driving style does not require a catch can in this location?

post-44162-0-96631400-1532723069_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Question:

To assess whether the JLT catch can will work on your vehicle, pull the short hose off and inspect it internally, visually and with a Q-Tip, and if it is bone dry would that be a sign that your driving style does not require a catch can in this location?

Anyone checked this pipe on theirs?

Mine with 27K miles is bone dry.

Anyone checked this pipe on theirs?

Mine with 27K miles is bone dry.

This past weekend I did a 480 mile trip in 85 degF ambient and the JLT catch can collected a few milliliter of what looks and feels like reasonably clean oil.

As can be seen in my prior posts, I was very skeptical, but with this evidence I can confirm that the JLT catch can does work, and would most likely work even better in lower ambient temps.

post-44162-0-67507100-1533565392_thumb.jpg

post-44162-0-38194100-1533565416_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We find it surprising and some what disappointing that there's any question as to the effectiveness of the JLT Catch Can considering all of the time & effort we've put into nonbiased R&D documention on pg 5 of this topic string.

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

Truth be told there is a lot of snake oil being sold as catch cans. A healthy dose of skepticism is duly warranted from the average DIY'r/owner. A lot of fancy looking products that are in fact plain trash.

The JLT is definitely a nice product though, and seems like the 2.7 could use a good catch can. I would highly recommend folks to get intimate with examining their intercoolers periodically for evidence of oil/fuel/water deposition. At the very least, all you need is the engine oil dipstick. Get a USB borescope if you want to go into more detail.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 7:30 AM, snmjim said:

We'll start with Vinny is awesome to talk to and a wealth of validated Info.

JLT Performance
POC: Vinny
757-335-1940

1008 Executive Blvd
Chesapeake, VA 23320

When we ordered the JLT catch can it was in our possession in 2-3 days then to top it off when we opened the box to our amazement we saw what looked equal in quality to a catch can produced by Ford specifically for the Edge, it was just that high in quality!

Oh, and did we mention VERY reasonably priced!

No, we're not getting kick backs and to add to the emphasis...we cancelled an RXP order immediately after opening the box, it was just that visually impressive!

The install was easy, quick and clean.

Basically, remove an easily accessible hose, add a bracket to an existing bolt and route two short hoses to the same points you removed the one hose from.

Data points completed:

Installed at 54k miles

- 1200-1500 mi (Ref Pic)

- 2000-2500 mi (Ref Pic)

- 3500-4000 (Ref Pics)

Notes:

2500 mi check performed - 23 July 2018

Vehicle miles - 57625
Avg Temp for past 30 days - 85-95 degrees with 80% humidity
Driving Conditions - 75% Hwy / 25% Suburbs

3500 mi check performed - 07 Dec 2018

Vehicle miles - 63,874
Avg Temp for past 30 days - 35-45 degrees with 65% humidity
Driving Conditions - 75% Hwy / 25% Suburbs
Note: higher Qty & lighter color as weather gets colder...quiz time: why?...Clue: its normal...?

Last & final measurement performed - 3500 miles

post-46284-0-95066000-1526903226_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-73153200-1526903255_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-21735900-1526903378_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-69423900-1526903448_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-12435900-1526904056_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-37065000-1529294038_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-21443000-1532382125_thumb.jpg

20181207_110330.jpg

20181207_110001.jpg

20181207_110120.jpg

Great information Jim!  Thank you for your efforts and what you do for the community here.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:51 AM, Howster said:
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:51 AM, Howster said:

I installed the driver side and passenger side catch cans, however the driver side rarely catches much oil, if any at all. I installed them mostly as a precaution as I was tracking the cars. The passenger side it where the bulk of the oil is caught, and this is true as well for the Edge Sport. Therefore JLT is only selling the passenger side can at this time.

I'm wondering why the passenger side releases more vapors than the driver side.  Any comments on it? 

25 minutes ago, AC7880 said:

I'm wondering why the passenger side releases more vapors than the driver side.  Any comments on it? 

As far as I know its to do with the fact that the passenger side vent pipe ties into the intake downstream of the throttle body, so it sees vacuum at closed or very low throttle position, drawing the crankcase vapours in.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

Cleanside vs dirtyside, as they call it in PCV lingo.  The idea is to draw in fresh air from the clean side (i.e., the bank 2 or radiator side valve cover), and push out the vapors through the PCV valve on the dirty side (bank 1, or firewall side cover) on the V6.  Actively managing vapors created during normal operation and preventing deposits from forming inside the engine, and more importantly, meeting EPA goals.

• Like 1

The PCV system issues are not limited to GDI and Ecoboost, its just exacerbated with those technologies.

On a natural aspirated port injection, the PCV causes combustion chamber carbon build-up which is to some degree self regulating, but some of that carbon is driven into the piston rings and ring lan's - defeats the objective of using only Top Tier Gas.

I use the oil trap on our 2015 3.7L V6 Mustang, 2017 Edge Sport, and 2008 Harley Nightrain [Harley vented to atmosphere].

I will probably buy a Ford Edge with 2.7 within the next 12 months.  I do wish Ford would use the new combination direct and port injection dual system they are using on the F150 in 2019,  on the Edge (and Fusion) as well.  I will install some form of catch can if/when I buy direct injection forced induction engine vehicle. 

The other option I am looking at is a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 V8 Hemi.  I tow 4 wheels down behind a motorhome and also need a auto tranny due to ankle injury, so my options are somewhat limited.  Right now the Edge (and maybe Fusion) look pretty good other than the direct injection carbon buildup issues. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...