#1 OFFLINE   jmr061

jmr061

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:48 AM

Apr 25 2018  6410 - 2014-2019 Various Vehicles - Equipped with a 2.7L and 3.0L GTDI Engine - Oil Pan Leak.

Some Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with a 2.7L or 3.0L EcoBoost engines may exhibit an oil leak from the engine oil pan RTV seal. Replace the oil pan by performing the published Workshop Manual (WSM) service procedures. After removing the oil pan, it is suggested to allow the crankcase to drain overnight to minimize the chance of residual oil contaminating the crankcase sealing rail. Remove all traces of old RTV, clean the engine sealing surface with only Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner then wipe with Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep Wipes, and allow to air dry as directed in WSM, Section 303-00, RTV Sealing Surface Cleaning and Preparation. If possible, after the new oil pan is installed, allow the new RTV sealant to cure for 4 hours before refilling the engine with oil. Ford is investigating this concern. Monitor OASIS for future updates.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W, omar302, onyxbfly and 2 others like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,292 posts
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:35 PM

So what's causing the leak in the first place? The engine is dry and cured when it's built. Doesn't leak until later.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Beezz

Beezz

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 207 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:12 AM

LOOL, I'm going on my 4th oil pan soon. Considering the 3rd one was done in a manor similar to described above, and it started leaking the same day I got the edge back, I feel like letting the engines sit for those 4 hours to cure the RTV may help. It could also be warpage from letting the engine run too soon after the pan is applied and/or heat warpage in general. 

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#4 OFFLINE   jmr061

jmr061

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 408 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:58 PM

Hard to say...on my 2nd pan replacement they let it cure.  I sat at the dealer for 7 hours, not once did they come back and tell me why it was taking so long or even come back to speak to me even though they knew I was waiting.  Never said it was going to take that long either.  The 1st time they replaced it, it took a little over 2-3 hours.  No leaks so far and its been a couple months (I think, lost track of time).

Relying on RTV sealant...a lot of chance of human error in that process.

Edited by jmr061, 26 April 2018 - 05:00 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and Beezz like this

#5 OFFLINE   aerodarts

aerodarts

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:17 PM

This is what is going on with my sport edge. 4 times I have been to the shop to have the repair. The dealer put 200 miles on my car before telling me to come pick it up! 

When I drive the car and stop it, I can smell a strong oder of oil, but I use to smell oil burning while driving the car. So I guess the car is fixed.

#6 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

It's not fixed if it reaks of oil idling at a stop.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and PaulSchott like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users