#1 OFFLINE   mr_jason

mr_jason

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

Over the weekend I decided to take a chance and add the oem ford hitch to my 2016 Edge sport. This meant cutting a hole in the bumper, swapping the foot sensors with the split sensors and adding the 4 pin trailer lighting. I had the draw Tite hitch and decided I didnt want to remove the heat shield bumper support or have it hang down. The only down side was fabricating the lower foot sensor mount, it wasnt a direct replacement. If you decide to do this Im not responsible for anything you do to your car.

Attached Files

Edited by mr_jason, 07 May 2018 - 09:10 AM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W, omar302, lildisco and 1 other like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ezndo

ezndo

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 28 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

That looks great! I also was not a fan of how far the aftermarket hitches hang below the bumper. My 2016 is lowered w/H&R springs, so the hitch would have been even lower, approximately 7” above the ground. I would have no fear of cutting the bumper just like you did. Please post any tips, details you care to share and then I’ll decide if I want to go that route. TIA!

#3 OFFLINE   mr_jason

mr_jason

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Measuring and cutting was a big worry... Mess it up and I'm buying a new bumper cover.  I made sure to measure multiple times and cut once taking my time - spent 2+ hours just cutting and measuring.  The hitch replaced the metal bumper.  I had to replace the foot activated sensors with the 'split' ones from the Titanium with hitch model and fab up a mount for the sensors.  Seems to work.  I did notice the hitch pin hole is very close to the bumper cover.  I use mostly the hitch mostly for a bike rack and getting the bike rack bolt and wrench was a little tough but doable.  Here's a few additional photos. I'm not responsible for anything you do to your car.

Attached Files

Edited by mr_jason, 10 May 2018 - 08:44 AM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#4 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,030 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

I added a hidden hitch to our 2016 MKX reserve and did not change the foot sensors - they still operate normally.   Maybe it's a different design than the Edge Sport.

#5 OFFLINE   mr_jason

mr_jason

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

The foot senors still work.  This hitch is the OEM version, it doesn't hang below the bumper or require the removal of the supporting plastic/heat shield behind the bumper.  It's also not specifically designed for the sport trim. I had an aftermarket hitch and didn't really like how hung below the bumper. 

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,030 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

I forgot the OEM hitch was higher.   That would make a difference with the sensor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hitch, oem, 2016, sport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users