Engine Replacement in my 2007

clt750

So I am going to have my engine replaced in my 2007 Edge due to water pump failure. 120k miles and BAM!!!! Game over. Ive been looking on line at used engines with around 50 to 60k miles to buy, and then have a local shop install it. Two questions.

What years are interchangeable with the 2007? Am I limited to a certain group of years that I can search for? I would like to broaden my search and find something with the lowest miles possible. Im trying to do this on a budget if possible.

Also a question that almost always pops up is does the engine have an oil cooler or not. I don't think mine does but how do I confirm it does or doesn't? Are the two options not interchangeable?

Thanks in advance

Curt

Hey Curt, I can't answer your question, but can you share what maintenance you had done with your antifreeze prior to the failure? Did you have it changed frequently?

In the time we have owned it nothing more than just checking the level. I think we've put 20k on it since we've had it. Im thinking now I should have been more on top of it when we bought it .... but I had no idea these were so temperamental with the cooling systems.

Any 2007-10 engine from an Edge/MKX will work. I believe 3.5L from similar years on other model lines that are VCT, not TiVCT will likely be a plug n play. So a Taurus or a Flex 3.5L should work also, not sure exactly when they went to TiVCT.

Oil cooler was normally included only with a towing package on the Edge, not sure about the MKX. It is easily perceptible when you look at the oil filter area, as the oil cooler has coolant lines to/from. If yours does not currently have the cooler but the donor engine does, just swap in the adapter plate from yours to the donor. If yours does have the cooler but the donor engine does not, then swap the oil cooler setup from yours to the donor engine. Shouldn't be any special steps necessary to make it happen.

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I have narrowed down my engine search to a used 3.5 with 26K on it. I am not going to be doing this work I am going to have someone do it. My question now is does anyone have recommendations on any extra stuff I should do now while I am having this work done? Should I replace the water pump before having the new/used engine installed? Im looking for anything beyond the water pump that should be done really since the engine will be exposed.

• 2 weeks later...

So another update and question. So I have found a used 3.5 with 26k on it. $1500.00, free shipping with a 5 year warranty....... the 5 years being based on my shop replacing a nice list of parts that I wasn't expecting. The timing chain system and water pump being on that list. Which I get and understand. Its a great time to replace this stuff with the engine sitting outside the vehicle. So Ive been pricing out this parts list to go buy this stuff on my own so I can try and save a buck or two. I came across this Timing Chain kit I wanted to ask you experts about.

Does this seem legit or is it a waste of time? Seems pretty cheap as far as price goes.

https://www.carparts.com/details/Ford/Edge/Replacement/Timing_Chain_Kit/2007/KIT1-060817-10-A.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9uY07bA2wIVCwtpCh3GxQviEAQYASABEgIsGPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So I am now looking at paying my guy additional money to install this stuff. With parts and additional labor this $1500.00 engine may be pushing closer to the $2500.00 plus range. Ive been quoted $3500.00 for a full rebuild.

Not sure what to do. I only want to do this once.

Thanks

Curt

Edited by clt750

Ive been quoted $3500.00 for a full rebuild.

Not sure what to do. I only want to do this once.

Thanks

Curt

Whats shape is the rest of the car in? How long do you intend to keep it?

If it's in decent shape, and you intend to drive it for several more years, I would go with a certified rebuild. That way, it's been torn down, cleaned internally and everything's been done.

Look at it as if you were buying a nice used car for transportation. Can you get one of $3,500? No.

And the extra grand gives the confidence in knowing you're good for at least another 100-150k miles. (Who knows what's going on inside a used engine? Blocked oil journals? Corrosion? Oil pan full of gunk? Old oil in the wee places?).

• Like 1

I'll just have to throw my $.02 in here about the transmission.

Like Iggy said, if you are planning to keep the car for a couple of years, put the money into it. Not sure how your tranny worked before, but if it is out, now would be a good time to check the TSS and OSS and maybe even the valve body. That would complete your drive train.

• Like 1

I'll just have to throw my $.02 in here about the transmission.

Like Iggy said, if you are planning to keep the car for a couple of years, put the money into it. Not sure how your tranny worked before, but if it is out, now would be a good time to check the TSS and OSS and maybe even the valve body. That would complete your drive train.

Tranny seem to operate well. No issues. TSS, OSS, Valve Body? Ill have to run it by the shop. I have no idea what these are but will look them up...... and I hope nothing more is wrong. I am trying to spend as little as possible here. Im already killing my budget. I do plan on holding on to it as unfortunately Im still making payments on this thing.

This has been a big unfortunate expense I wasnt expecting.

Whats shape is the rest of the car in? How long do you intend to keep it?

If it's in decent shape, and you intend to drive it for several more years, I would go with a certified rebuild. That way, it's been torn down, cleaned internally and everything's been done.

Look at it as if you were buying a nice used car for transportation. Can you get one of $3,500? No.

And the extra grand gives the confidence in knowing you're good for at least another 100-150k miles. (Who knows what's going on inside a used engine? Blocked oil journals? Corrosion? Oil pan full of gunk? Old oil in the wee places?).

Thanks for the input. The Edge is in decent shape. Body has small dents and scratches but nothing serious or really noticeable. Im trying to rope this in with as little cash out as possible. Im rolling the dice buying this used engine and praying for the best. It does have a warranty but that doesnt cover the labor I will spend to have it removed and installed if it ever comes to that..... which isnt cheap

Tranny seem to operate well. No issues. TSS, OSS, Valve Body? Ill have to run it by the shop. I have no idea what these are but will look them up...... and I hope nothing more is wrong. I am trying to spend as little as possible here. Im already killing my budget. I do plan on holding on to it as unfortunately Im still making payments on this thing.

This has been a big unfortunate expense I wasnt expecting.

Wasn't trying to scare you. I had a similar situation with my same year Edge. Tranny always gave me issues, then finally gave up the ghost and it was 5k to replace. Still owe a little bit on it, but it would of been worthless without a works trans. I was just saying if the transmission was sitting on the floor somewhere, now would be the time to do any preventive maintenance, but I fully understand a budget.

• Like 1

Wasn't trying to scare you. I had a similar situation with my same year Edge. Tranny always gave me issues, then finally gave up the ghost and it was 5k to replace. Still owe a little bit on it, but it would of been worthless without a works trans. I was just saying if the transmission was sitting on the floor somewhere, now would be the time to do any preventive maintenance, but I fully understand a budget.

So after some research we are talking 2 sensors right? TSS and OSS? Simple R&R with the engine out I think is what you are saying.