How to Disable the "Auto-Lock" function on a 2018 Ford Edge Titanium?

Does anyone know if I can Disable the Auto-Lock function on my 2018 Ford Edge Titanium. At about 12 miles an hour, all the doors lock, I don't want that. I want to be able to lock the doors when I want! I was able to disable that function on my Old 2012 Ford Edge Limited!

I had assumed that it would be a user configurable option in the dash like it is in previous models but I did some searching just to be sure. Now it appears that there is no user changeable option to disable autolocks on the 2018 (maybe the 2017 as well). From what I could find, the dealer can do this for you (for a price of course) which means you might also be able to do it yourself using the Forscan software. Perhaps someone with more familiarity with that program would know the codes to change.

I sympathize with your desire to disable them. It makes you wonder what the manufacturers are thinking... they stick you with something silly like autolocks yet they don't make automatic headlights standard. I pass an idiot on the road without lights just about every night. Although I must give Ford kudos for making the headlights come on with the wipers as is required in the majority of the states.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

It would appear that all the similar complaints I found online are from people who didn't read the owner's manual. I have an excuse - I don't own one so I don't have a manual. :whistling: So I downloaded the manual as a PDF from Ford and found that lildisco, akirby, and inigma-2 are correct (not that I would ever doubt them ;) ) and the autolocking and unlocking can be configured through the menu in the instrument cluster.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for the same solution to the Autolock issue. My dealer is willing to hook up the ForScan program and look for a way to return the Autolock option to the dash menu but he is not willing to take responsibility for anything else being screwed up.

This should be addressed by Ford. Not having a way to turn off Autolock opens them up for liability issues, such as a driver being trapped, unconscious in a locked car.

Here are the scenarios where Autolock is a problem

Driver in car and non-responsive, doors locked, key fob in center console, transmission in Park (as if pulled into garage and passed out with motor running).

Another person, outside car, with no key fob, pulls on door. Door is LOCKED.

Driver in car and non-responsive, doors locked, key fob in center console, transmission in Drive (as if car crashed in ditch ).

Another person, outside car, with no key fob, pulls on door. Door is LOCKED.

Both situations are a problem.

Another situation where it's just annoying.

Driver in car, feeling fine, pulls up to curb to pick up spouse, transmission in drive, foot on brake

Spouse outside car, with no key fob, pulls on door, breaks fingernail. Door is LOCKED.

Ford needs to address this issue. I want my doors locked only when I lock them.

Edited by cabin393

Just for the benefit of those who post on this issue, this Autolock problem is for the 2018 Ford.

akirby and enigma-2, I realize that it was accessible in the previous year models and in the manual for those years. The option to turn OFF Autolock, is no longer an option in 2018.

I'm looking for the same solution to the Autolock issue. My dealer is willing to hook up the ForScan program and look for a way to change return the Autolock option to the dash menu but he is not willing to take responsibility for anything else being screwed up.

This should be addressed by Ford. Not having a way to turn off Autolock opens them up for liability issues, such as a driver being trapped, unconscious in a locked car.

There is no liability issue. You can ALWAYS open the front doors whether they are locked or not. You can open the back doors by pulling on the handle twice.

On other vehicles there was a user sequence that would enable and disable it.

akirby wrote: You can ALWAYS open the front doors whether they are locked or not. You can open the back doors by pulling on the handle twice.

That may be true for someone from INSIDE the vehicle, not true for someone OUTSIDE the vehicle attempting to help driver. I addressed the Autolock issue above in more detail.

Thanks

My 2016 also had the Auto lock enabled with no setting in the instrument cluster to disable it. Using ForScan & following the IPC type 2 sheet for the 2016+ Explorer & 2G Fusion Sheet (don't remember correctly) I was able to add the setting to the menu & then disable it. I was also able to add the "Auto Re-lock" setting that re-locks the doors after 45 seconds if you unlock it remotely but don't open any door.

This post has the mod to disable Autolock on a 2017 Edge. But I believe that enabling the IPC mod, changing the setting in the cluster settings will change the corresponding body control module.

akirby wrote:

And you can always break the glass in case of an emergency.

But this is really a moot point since any Ford dealer can turn them off.

akirby, any Ford dealer cannot turn them off because I have already been to six dealers. None of them would touch it using ForScan, and most of them thought it was still in the IPC menu on the dash....which it is not for 2018.

And breaking the glass is an option for having Autolock on, but a very expensive one for something that should not be set in the first place. Autolock should be selectable by the user.

SSM 45578 - 2015-2016 Edge and 2016 MKX - Procedure To Disable Autolocks

Some 2015-2016 Edge and 2016 MKX customers may request to have the autolocks disabled. The autolocks are not a customer configurable feature. If a customer request to have the autolocks disabled, use IDS version 98.04 or higher to disable the autolocks. Enter Module Programming - Programmable Parameters - Power Door Locks - Auto Lock 1-5 - Enable/Disable. To disable the autolocks, Auto Lock 1 through Auto Lock 5 all need to be disabled prior to pressing the tick mark. Disabling the autolocks at the request of the customer cannot be claimed as a warrantable repair. Section 501-14 of the online Workshop Manual is being updated to provide direction on disabling the autolock feature.

Not sure if it applies to 17 and 18...but the dealer can easily check when hooked up to a vehicle. BTW...Ford is more concerned with keeping bad people out of your vehicle than allowing authorized or emergency services people in your car. I'd rather not allow a carjacker to jump in the passenger seat when I am stopped at a stop light or when I pull into a gas station or store, etc.

• Like 3

jmr061, thank you for this technical answer to the question posed. I will take this to my dealer and ask them about it.

However, since this information is regarding previous years, I don't know if it will apply to the 2018 model Edge. In previous years, 2015-2017 and earlier, you could disable Autolock by using the "unlock 3 times" trick, which Ford even has released in a You Tube video. But that "trick" does not work for 2018. So something has definitely changed with the 2018 model which several dealers have confirmed for me.

I get the carjack threat but I have the ability and choice to lock any of my older vehicles now if I feel threatened, I don't need Ford to do it for me.

I decided to go in and create an IDS session using a 2018 Edge Titanium. There is no option in IDS to directly change the autolock feature.

So I went back to a session with my 16 Edge Sport and the settings are there in IDS. So it seems the dealer has no direct way to change it on an 18.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 1

jmr061, I agree, there is no way to change Autolock using IDS, for the 2018 Ford Edge. I went to my dealer, he hooked up the latest IDS, we both looked through every menu, (starting with Module Programming). It's not there.

So back to square one and original poster's question (will251: Does anyone know if I can Disable the Auto-Lock function on my 2018 Ford Edge Titanium?)

It seems as though it can be done with ForScan (very easy to use, just do a quick forum search). From looking at similar 2018 Fords (F150 for example) for which Ford IDS was not helpful either:

726-15-01 x*xx xxxx xxxx Feature Cfg Auto Lock1: 0=disable, 1=enabled, 2=INOP
726-15-01 xxx* xxxx xxxx Feature Cfg Auto Lock2: 0=disable, 1=enabled, 2=INOP
726-15-01 xxxx x*xx xxxx Feature Cfg Auto Lock3: 0=disable, 1=enabled, 2=INOP
726-15-01 xxxx xxx* xxxx Feature Cfg Auto Lock4: 0=disable, 1=enabled, 2=INOP
726-15-01 xxxx xxxx x*xx Feature Cfg Auto Lock5: 0=disable, 1=enabled, 2=INOP

I believe you can change the value to 0 for each of the modules, when you should be able to DESELECT Auto-Unlock from your IPC menu.

Source: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6660

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Has anyone actually used Forscan on a 2018 Ford Edge (not F150) and if so, can they post the actual data, and steps, that need to be performed to disable Autolock.

It would be nice if Ford eventually issues a bulletin on this for dealers, so they can perform this change. For now, I will continue to punch the Unlock button, a few seconds after driving away from each and every engine start/parked/door-opened position....Annoying!!!

I have to agree with cabin393 on this one... I wouldn't buy a vehicle which had auto locks that couldn't be disabled. The situation of being trapped in a car with responders unable to get in may not be likely but are you willing to bet your life on it? I've seen plenty of news reports of passersby saving occupants caught in vehicles on fire or in retention ponds. Sure, police and firefighters have the tools to break the windows but the average person doesn't and they're not as easy to break as you might think.

Besides, I just don't like any company telling me how to use their product without giving me any choice. I also won't buy a car that has nannies like automatic braking unless they can be disabled.

SOS Post-Crash Alert System™

The SOS Post-Crash Alert System™ is controlled by the BCM, but initiated by the RCM.

When a deployment or fuel cutoff event occurs, the RCM sends a message on the HS-CAN2 (via the GWM) to the BCM. The BCM flashes the turn signal lamps and sounds the horn (except when 911 Assist™ is active) until it is turned off. The system can be turned off 10 seconds after a crash event by pressing the hazard switch. The BCM also unlocks the doors and illuminates the courtesy lamps after a crash event.

• Like 1