Front end clicking on deceleration and coasting at low speeds

Hello all, I have a 2009 Ford Edge SEL AWD. The vehicle has 210k on the clock. My front wheel bearings went bad so I started the job and replaced a ton of parts. Here's what was replaced:

Lower Control Arms

CV Joints

Steering knuckles

Wheel bearings

Hubs

Tie rod ends

End Links

I have a ford service manual so I followed the ford procedures. The Knuckles, control arms, CV joints replaced are Ford OEM. The wheel bearings and hubs were MOOG, as well as the end links and tie rod ends. I did skip the EN circlip replacement when I separated the intermediate shaft from axle shaft (CV) on the passenger side. My local ford parts guy said it wasn't really that important even though the service manual called for replacement every time. I used all new ford hardware upon reassembly. I torqued the wheel bearings down to 258 with a cheap ass harbor freight 3/4" drive wrench. It was the only thing I was able to acquire where I live...

I have the entire vehicle back together and had the front end aligned. All was well, and I have been driving the vehicle for about a week with no issue.

Today the vehicle started making a clicking noise on deceleration and coasting at slow speeds. The noise goes away when brakes are applied, upon acceleration or if I steer hard side to side. I thought it might be the moog end link problem solvers that are greasable. The zerk fitting is close to the axle shaft and I thought it might be contacting, but I cannot make out any marks indicating as such...

Did the wheel bearing not get torqued enough? Thoughts?

Does the clicking sound happen even at idle when turning the steering wheel left/right? That could be strut mounts. Perhaps not torqued correctly, even, with any luck.

A clicking sound from the CV joint is usually more prominent in turns, but if driving close enough to jersey walls or in a quiet garage, it can be heard, whether in forward or reverse.

Thanks for the reply. Rechecked everything. The strut mounts were a little low on the torque, but only like 5lbs. Blew off the dust on the brakes, thought something might have gotten lodged in there. So after rechecking everything, I'm pretty sure my wheels were falling off. Apparently there's a special procedure to put the wheels on the edge? AT least according to the Ford service manual... and here I thought I knew everything about lugnuts. I also realize after re-reading the procedures that I skipped a step upon axle shaft torqueing. You're supposed to use your old nut to torque down to 258ft lbs to seat the shaft, and then remove it, then use your brandy new nut and torque it down to 258.

For those in the future that are reading this, the torque procedure for the wheels in the manual is: Put the wheel on hand tight, lower the vehicle until it just contacts the ground for resistance, then torque in a star pattern to 100ft lbs. Re check values with the same procedure within 100 miles as lug nuts can come loose!! This goes for anytime you take the wheel off!! WHAT!?!?!

• Like 1

For those in the future that are reading this, the torque procedure for the wheels in the manual is: Put the wheel on hand tight, lower the vehicle until it just contacts the ground for resistance, then torque in a star pattern to 100ft lbs. Re check values with the same procedure within 100 miles as lug nuts can come loose!! This goes for anytime you take the wheel off!! WHAT!?!?!

That's always been standard procedure.

• Like 1