Hands free lift gate closed and didn’t detect person

I was putting groceries in my 2018 edge and Im assuming my foot activated the lift gate sensor. It started closing and did not detect me standing under it. It started pressing quite heavily on my back before I had to jump out. Shouldnt the obstacle detection have activated when the gate pushed on me?

There is no such thing. Same thing happened to me this weekend, I was loading a big BBQ and when I stepped over the trolley to lift the BBQ, my foot triggered the sensor, it started closing with me standing there holding a giant BBQ. Actually had to put the BBQ down and try again without triggering the lift gate.

Think of it as a slip clutch. As it closes if something is blocking it, the motor still runs but the tailgate stops. The clutch continues and starts to slip. When it reaches a certain travel distance, triggers the reversal. As you sensed to tailgate, you probably began to move out of its way and the tailgate movement was not impared sufficiently to trigger the sensor. (I don't think it's actually a slip clutch, but operates like one).

Just to clear up some confusion; there is no sensor that scans the ground beneath the lift gate making sure there is nothing in its way. There is a mechanism that will stop the liftgate from trying to close when something is in its way but in order for that to be triggered, it need to actually incur some resistance.

In my 09 mkx, there's a clutch in the liftgate motor. Its my understanding when the clutch starts to slip (indicating the liftgate is blocked) the clutch slips triggering the liftgate "position sensor". (Internal to the liftgate drive motor assembly).

They may have changed it on later years, but I doubt it.