2019 Edge Order Guide

ST stands for Suspension Tuning.

With that in mind, the Edge ST will heavily focus on handling. I would assume lower ride height with stiffer dampers and different valving than the Sport. Also 20 more HP, which is would be achieved by a different tuning map.

I would also bet that the gas mileage will be worse than the Sport.

Given how rapidly the Sports have depreciated in value, and that this generation of the Edge is an outgoing platform, 50K is very expensive for this car, regardless of the horsepower to dollars ratio.

I dont think you have been following. Suspension is same as previous Edge. 8spd transmission should make for better mpg not worse. Shit Im maintaining 21mpg on my 92 tune for the past 30k

• Like 1

I dont think you have been following. Suspension is same as previous Edge. 8spd transmission should make for better mpg not worse. Shit Im maintaining 21mpg on my 92 tune for the past 30k

Who said the suspension is the same? Ford Performance specifically tuned the suspension. It’s not the same.

It's listed on page 12 of the guide under functional as Ford Performance Tuned Suspension.

And notice the * (star) symbol at bottom left of every page that denotes “new for model year” what does it not have beside it. not A star. It has a dot which means to me, it's a carryover item, because if this was a complete new system, it would have a star. I could be wrong, but all along I've said Ford just reworded the term "Sport tuned suspension" that it used from 15-18

Edited by Nick Halstead

And notice the * (star) symbol at bottom left of every page that denotes “new for model year” what does it not have beside it. not A star. It has a dot which means to me, it's a carryover item, because if this was a complete new system, it would have a star. I could be wrong, but all along I've said Ford just reworded the term "Sport tuned suspension" that it used from 15-18

That’s not how Ford Performance works. They tuned the suspension.

That’s not how Ford Performance works. They tuned the suspension.

And when (and if) specs of that are actually reveled. I’ll accept it. Though considering same exact ride height and Fords general business ways of saving every penny they can. Im betting its a carry over. And the fact they dont mention nothing on the order guide other than changing the name from “sport tuned suspension” to what it is. You giys are expecting too much from the ST. Ford hit a double with this. Its far from a home run.

If this vehicle was a normal factory Edge I’d agree. But do you not understand what Ford Performance means? It’s a completely separate group at Ford. It’s not just a ST badge.

Do you think the Mustang GT350 uses the stock suspension? Or the Focus RS/ST?

If this vehicle was a normal factory Edge I’d agree. But do you not understand what Ford Performance means? It’s a completely separate group at Ford. It’s not just a ST badge.

Do you think the Mustang GT350 uses the stock suspension? Or the Focus RS/ST?

The Edge ST is nowhere near the same level as any of those, I'd rate it even under the Focus ST in that lineup of GT350/RS/ST. If this was a Ford Edge RS, I'd say all kinds of things were done to it, but it's not, it is a ST being released during a facelift. Go back and read any pre-release news articles about the Edge ST, zero details on dampening/spring ratios/stiffness. Not a single article as any data on this, the pre-order sheet, zero data and not even a STAR that mentions changes from 2018 model year to 2019 model year. Watch it come with stiffer/bigger/ sway bars and the exact same shocks/struts/springs.

Why would they go to the trouble of tuning the engine and adding a new sport mode to the transmission and not touch the suspension which is the simplest to change?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-ford-edge-st-photos-and-full-info-news

Ford has assured us that the Edge ST was, in fact, developed with the Ford Performance team, which the list of upgrades seems to confirm.

Power Play

Kicking off the makeover is the installation of a 335-hp version of the twin-turbo 2.7-liter V-6, still with EcoBoost branding. With 380 lb-ft of torque, it outguns the outgoing 2.7 by 20 horsepower and 30 lb-ft. Likewise, a standard eight-speed automatic transmission replaces the six-speed automatic in the outgoing Edge Sport. Both should help propel the new Edge ST to 60 mph quicker than the 5.6 seconds weve recorded in the Edge Sport. All-wheel drive is standard, and an ST-tuned suspension is fitted for sharper responses and improved handling, Ford said.

In addition to the hardware swaps, the Edge ST features a specific Sport mode that tightens throttle response and alters shift programming, including the ability to perform rev-matched downshifts and hold gears near the engines redline. Selected by depressing the center button of the new console-mounted rotary shifter, Sport mode also preselects gears for sprightly corner exits, which should enable the driver to brake hard and dive deep into a corner at speed and exit in a lower gear, keeping engine rpm in the meat of the powerband. Optionally, drivers can call out their own shifts via the wheel-mounted shift paddles. Sport mode also provides greater engine braking and a slightly more aggressive exhaust note. Also, yes, all of that describes a Ford Edge.

Ford said the team that developed the ST entered the project with specific grip, braking, ride, and handling targets tailored for enthusiasts. As evidence, consider the Edge STs relaxed stability control in Sport mode, which widens the window regarding wheelspin and slip angle before it steps in to assist, Ford told us. Shutting off the stability control completely is a misnomer, as it leaves the system active to help prevent a rollover, an aspect we can dig.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

Why would they go to the trouble of tuning the engine and adding a new sport mode to the transmission and not touch the suspension which is the simplest to change?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-ford-edge-st-photos-and-full-info-news

Ford has assured us that the Edge ST was, in fact, developed with the Ford Performance team, which the list of upgrades seems to confirm.

Power Play

Kicking off the makeover is the installation of a 335-hp version of the twin-turbo 2.7-liter V-6, still with EcoBoost branding. With 380 lb-ft of torque, it outguns the outgoing 2.7 by 20 horsepower and 30 lb-ft. Likewise, a standard eight-speed automatic transmission replaces the six-speed automatic in the outgoing Edge Sport. Both should help propel the new Edge ST to 60 mph quicker than the 5.6 seconds weve recorded in the Edge Sport. All-wheel drive is standard, and an ST-tuned suspension is fitted for sharper responses and improved handling, Ford said.

In addition to the hardware swaps, the Edge ST features a specific Sport mode that tightens throttle response and alters shift programming, including the ability to perform rev-matched downshifts and hold gears near the engines redline. Selected by depressing the center button of the new console-mounted rotary shifter, Sport mode also preselects gears for sprightly corner exits, which should enable the driver to brake hard and dive deep into a corner at speed and exit in a lower gear, keeping engine rpm in the meat of the powerband. Optionally, drivers can call out their own shifts via the wheel-mounted shift paddles. Sport mode also provides greater engine braking and a slightly more aggressive exhaust note. Also, yes, all of that describes a Ford Edge.

Ford said the team that developed the ST entered the project with specific grip, braking, ride, and handling targets tailored for enthusiasts. As evidence, consider the Edge STs relaxed stability control in Sport mode, which widens the window regarding wheelspin and slip angle before it steps in to assist, Ford told us. Shutting off the stability control completely is a misnomer, as it leaves the system active to help prevent a rollover, an aspect we can dig.

All that jibberish and no specs. ZERO on the suspension specs. Why would they do it? To save money because they already had the Sport tuned Suspension and they know 95% of ST owners will mever see a track Edited by Nick Halstead

Specs were flying off the shelves before the 15 Edge Sport hit lots. Oddly all kinds of specs for the ST are available all over the net but ZERO details on the difference between the 15-18 sport tuned suspension and 19 ST or even the difference between a base 19 and a ST.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/edge/2015/2015-ford-edge-sport-awd-review-first-test/

“If the idea of chasing a Porsche (SUV) on curvy pavement is how salespeople are churning sales and contributing to the 10 days in inventory spec, then the more power to them. Saner Edge owners-to-be will notice the sportier suspension packs all the right numbers: coil springs 10 percent stiffer than the base units and 15 percent stiffer anti-roll bars with the appropriate accompanying shock absorber modifications for tight body control. The ride is firm but surprisingly supple on smooth roads. On choppier sections, the wheels chatter a lot more, as we expected.”

• Like 1

I'm with Nick on this one, but that is my opinion, a opinion only. Ford's website for the 2019 ST doesn't even mention ST tuned, only "Sport Tuned Suspension".

Then again, on Ford's Media website, it is clearly more than "just" a rebadged "Sport", with an ST-tuned sport suspension, but doesn't seem to be the full "ST" treatment, merely "Enhanced".

Following Ford’s best-ever U.S. SUV sales in 2017, Ford further steps up the game by introducing first performance-enhanced ST to its SUV lineup with Edge ST.

Considering there is still no firm evidence of either way, I'd suggest to let it go till some new info comes up.

• Like 1

Forgive me, I may be wrong with this one. I believe that I read at one point that the ST suspension was supposed to be similar if not the same as the Nautilus. The ST is/ supposed to have adjustable suspension settings.

Of course I can't find anything to substantiate that info now :doh:

The order guide also doesn’t mention the extra engine power or the enhanced transmission shifting. But it does say “Ford Performance tuned suspension” as opposed to the 2018 Sport which is just sport tuned suspension.

The difference is the Sport was tuned by the Edge team just like the normal Edge whereas the ST was tuned by Ford Performance. It doesn’t mean it has a unique suspension (it doesn’t appear to be the electronically controlled suspension from the Nautilus - that would have been spelled out in the order guide). Just that they tested it and tuned it along with the tires and the rest of the vehicle.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I just don’t understand the skepticism given Ford Performance’s reputation and what they’ve done on other vehicles. Or is it that you guys have huge expectations of a super stiff lowered race suspension? You’re not going to see that on a ST model.

The order guide also doesn’t mention the extra engine power or the enhanced transmission shifting. But it does say “Ford Performance tuned suspension” as opposed to the 2018 Sport which is just sport tuned suspension.

The difference is the Sport was tuned by the Edge team just like the normal Edge whereas the ST was tuned by Ford Performance. It doesn’t mean it has a unique suspension (it doesn’t appear to be the electronically controlled suspension from the Nautilus - that would have been spelled out in the order guide). Just that they tested it and tuned it along with the tires and the rest of the vehicle.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I just don’t understand the skepticism given Ford Performance’s reputation and what they’ve done on other vehicles. Or is it that you guys have huge expectations of a super stiff lowered race suspension? You’re not going to see that on a ST model.

My issue with Edge ST is that you said it could cost thousands more, and we cannot see were the thousands more is coming from. A few more hp/torque and the tuned suspension does not warrant thousands more for face-lifted Sport. Where did you hear it's going to cost thousands more?

My exact quote was "a few thousand more" which could be as little as $2K. Why wouldn't it be? With the added power and other tuning from Ford Performance it should outperform the old Sport. Do you expect the Ford Performance team to work for free?

That said they may keep it the same price as the old sport. I was just guessing since they seem to have made considerable improvements, contrary to what some of you believe.

Ok someone just ordered a 2019 ST as follows:

2019 Ford Edge ST

K4A Edge AWD

99P/44F 2.7L V6/8-speed transmission

401A Equipment Group

55C Cold Weather Package

642/TFP 21” Premium Wheels

RR Ruby Red Metallic

153 Front License Plate

MSRP $50,020

When I build the same vehicle as a 2018 Sport the MSRP is $47,690 or a difference of $2330.

Let the gnashing of teeth and complaining commence.

• Like 5

Ok someone just ordered a 2019 ST as follows:

2019 Ford Edge ST

K4A Edge AWD

99P/44F 2.7L V6/8-speed transmission

401A Equipment Group

55C Cold Weather Package

642/TFP 21” Premium Wheels

RR Ruby Red Metallic

153 Front License Plate

MSRP $50,020

When I build the same vehicle as a 2018 Sport the MSRP is $47,690 or a difference of $2330.

Let the gnashing of teeth and complaining commence.

The price difference is not bad. I called my dealer where I got my Sport from, but they were clueless about the ST and ordering one. I'll probably wait until they're on the lot to see what kind of deal I can get.
We have the Sport as the benchmark, and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the ST once the reviews start coming in.
Edited by blitz118

I pulled some build info:

2019 Edge ST (w/Perf Package)

TAAZE F2GC-5310-EN * LH/FRT SPRING

TACZE F2GC-5310-EN* RH/FRT SPRING

TAEFX F1DC 5560 JA L/R COIL (GOV)

TAGFX F1DC 5560 JA R/R COIL (GOV)

DWABR SPORT TUNED SUSPENSION

DYKAB FRONT STABLIZER BAR

DZLAB REAR STABLIZER BAR

EGAAZ 3.39 FINAL DRIVE RATIO

FBABD BRK DISC 18" FRT/RR VENTED #2

2019 Edge ST

TAEGX F6DC 5560 CHA L/R COIL (HOT)

TAGGX F6DC 5560 CHA R/R COIL (HOT)

DZLAB REAR STABLIZER BAR

FBAAR BRK DISC 18" FRT/REAR VENTED

My 2016 Sport (I checked and 2018 is the same)

TAAZJ F2GC-5310-JN * LH/FRT SPRING

TACZJ F2GC-5310-JN* RH/FRT SPRING

TAEVF F2GC-5560-FN* L/H RR/SPRING

TAGVF F2GC-5560-FN* RH/RR/SPRING

DZLAB REAR STABLIZER BAR

EGADD 3.16 FINAL DRIVE RATIO

FBAA3 BRK DISC 18 FRT VNT/17 SOL RR Edited by jmr061
  • Like 2

I pulled some build info:

2019 Edge ST (w/Perf Package)

TAEFX F1DC 5560 JA L/R COIL (GOV)

TAGFX F1DC 5560 JA R/R COIL (GOV)

DZLAB REAR STABLIZER BAR

FBABD BRK DISC 18" FRT/RR VENTED #2

2019 Edge ST

TAEGX F6DC 5560 CHA L/R COIL (HOT)

TAGGX F6DC 5560 CHA R/R COIL (HOT)

DZLAB REAR STABLIZER BAR

FBAAR BRK DISC 18" FRT/REAR VENTED

My 2016 Sport

TAAZJ F2GC-5310-JN * LH/FRT SPRING

TACZJ F2GC-5310-JN* RH/FRT SPRING

TAEVF F2GC-5560-FN* L/H RR/SPRING

TAGVF F2GC-5560-FN* RH/RR/SPRING

DZLAB REAR STABLIZER BAR

EGADD 3.16 FINAL DRIVE RATIO

Thanks for the info. Do you have any info on the 8 speed transmission?