Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weird issue - Speedometer on 2018 is reading lower than GPS derived speed....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   timfountain

timfountain

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:58 PM

I have a 2018 Edge SEL, new on May 2nd, I am the first owner and took delivery of it with 50 miles on the clock. Absolutely bone stock. Today I had a 300 mile trip and noticed that when I was doing a steady 70 MPH, with cruise on, Waze was telling me I was doing 83 MPH. I did a double take and then stopped, downloaded a GPS information app for my iPhone 8 and 6S and got the same results. Both phones were telling me I was doing 83MPH and the car speedometer was dead on 70 and the cruise said 70MPH. Having worked on GPS at a very intimate level, I am absolutely sure that the GPS derived speed was correct (I had between 7 and 10 satellites in-view so accuracy was pretty high). I am shocked that the speedometer can be this far off on a brand new modern car.... I normally drive 5 over at 70 MPH but 13 over is firmly in ticketing territory! 

Any ideas what is going on and how I can get the issue addressed? Has anyone else seen weird issues with their speedometer?

Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jmr061

jmr061

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 365 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:20 AM

Sounds like something is very wrong with the programming of the vehicle (assuming the correct size wheels are on it).  I would get it to the dealer.  How far off it is at lower speeds?

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#3 OFFLINE   timfountain

timfountain

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

Sounds like something is very wrong with the programming of the vehicle (assuming the correct size wheels are on it).  I would get it to the dealer.  How far off it is at lower speeds?

Thanks, I haven't evaluated the issue at lower speeds. Next job. 

#4 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,080 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Kind of sounds like someone programmed in the wrong tire size.

#5 OFFLINE   candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,172 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:36 PM

Did you have it plugged into the USB, when performing this test? If so, try it again with the phone unplugged.

I have noticed a discrepancy (phone GPS is always incorrectly HIGHER than speedometer) when CarPlay is active. When I use the phones GPS and compare to speedometer while unplugged, they are both spot on.

When CarPlay is active, your phone will use the Edges GPS for speed determination and it goes a bit screwy.

I can assure you, your speedometer is the correct reading.

Edited by candurin, 13 June 2018 - 05:40 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W, enigma-2 and timfountain like this

#6 OFFLINE   timfountain

timfountain

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:05 PM

Did you have it plugged into the USB, when performing this test? If so, try it again with the phone unplugged.

I have noticed a discrepancy (phone GPS is always incorrectly HIGHER than speedometer) when CarPlay is active. When I use the phones GPS and compare to speedometer while unplugged, they are both spot on.

When CarPlay is active, your phone will use the Edges GPS for speed determination and it goes a bit screwy.

I can assure you, your speedometer is the correct reading.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. This was my exact scenario. GPS speed reads normal when not in Carplay mode (i.e.no USB attached). What the heck! As a h/w guy I have no idea how or why this would be the case, but it certainly was the issue. That is bizarre. A big thank you Candurin!

Edited by timfountain, 14 June 2018 - 01:06 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and lildisco like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users