Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Oil consumption 5W-20 PETROCANADA, easy spots on a valvate cover?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EDST777

EDST777

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 296 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2008

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:05 AM

Friends, I would like to ask a question about an oil consumption. The third year I use Petrocanada 5W-20 oil. Oil and the original filter I change each 8000 kilometers. Good oil, but is one shortcoming: there is an Oil consumption (expense, oil evaporation), that is on each 300 kilometers I add about 50 grams of oil. At a forum on oils, I heard that at given oil there is such shortcoming as Oil consumption(expense, oil evaporation). I want to learn your opinion who else has Oil consumption (expense, oil evaporation), is normal process on the engine 3.5 Duratec?
 Also has noticed that near spark plugs on a valvate cover of the engine, easy oil spots began to appear recently, it is possible isn't a problem, but I would like to pay your attention to it and to learn your opinion?  I will show it on the attached image.  Thanks.

p.s.:  exhaust gases go without impurity, that is  there are no traces of a soot and gray smoke, oil clean, without impurity, darkens only in use in process of the development. My style of driving now such that I don't lift engine speed higher than 2500  revolutions per minute
, therefore it can't be the cause too. Spark plugs I changed for 100 000 kilometers, 153 000 kilometers now.

Attached Files

Edited by EDST777, 15 June 2018 - 11:11 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   EDST777

EDST777

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:18 PM

also there are no impurity in cooling liquid, it clean, that is oil doesn't get to cooling liquid and vice versa color of oil of the engine says that cooling liquid doesn't get to the engine. Somebody else adds oil to the engine in such portions as I 50-100 grams on 300 - 500 kilometers of a way?

#3 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Over a quart in 5,000 miles, that is not normal with ANY quality oil - conventional, synblend or full synthetic, for these engines.  Have you pulled the COPs and plugs?  More than likely it is a valve cover gasket or a spark plug tube seal leak.  Surprised there is no misfire issue.  Have you checked codes?  Any leaks from Bank 1 (firewall side)?

• EDST777 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,071 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM

Hi Edward, this site has an article and pictures describing the spark plug seals and offer more info on their replacment. It's on a 2009 Ford Flex, but same 3.5L engine.
https://www.fordflex...opic.php?t=7809
  • EDST777 and WWWPerfA_ZN0W like this

#5 OFFLINE   EDST777

EDST777

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 296 posts

Posted Today, 04:54 AM

Over a quart in 5,000 miles, that is not normal with ANY quality oil - conventional, synblend or full synthetic, for these engines.  Have you pulled the COPs and plugs?  More than likely it is a valve cover gasket or a spark plug tube seal leak.  Surprised there is no misfire issue.  Have you checked codes?  Any leaks from Bank 1 (firewall side)?

Thanks.
1. Coils of spark plugs (COP) and plug
  I didn't take yet, the last time I did it on 100 000 kilometers when changed plugs
 . I will make it to look at their state and to understand whether there is a problem there. Thanks.
2. To understand what condition of Bank 1, I will take the probe and I will try to examine them a valve cover which is covered with an intake manifold. Or it is better for me to remove an intake manifold? What your opinion? Especially as I should make it if I need to examine plugs
 and COP for Bank1. What your opinion?
  And still, if I don't define a problem at survey of coils, then it will speak about a problem of a valve cover? I try to find the optimum scheme of definition of a problem, and I come to a conclusion that first of all I should check all plugs and COP, I correctly act?
  I saw errors of the computer, the mistakes relating to this problem it isn't revealed. There is a mistake which arose at removal of the accumulator, there is an audio system error, it because I disconnected a loop of a MP3 changer, is an error of a passenger seat which arises because I lay down a light load sometimes on passenger sitting. That's it. I will attach a log of my file. Thanks.

p.s/is attached survey of COP and plugs of BANK1.

On video  

there are no oil spots, externally everything is normal.

Attached Files

Edited by EDST777, Today, 06:53 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,842 posts

Posted Today, 07:16 AM

I suppose you could get a probe to examine the rear valve cover (bank 1) without removing the intake manifold, to look for similar oil leak issues, but it would be easier to take the manifold off since you need to check the spark plugs to give you a comparison with spark plugs from bank 2.  But it looks like no leaks on bank 1 from your video.  Most likely you would get an oil smell in the cabin if there were a leak on bank 1, unless it is slow enough.

Will check the logs soon.

• EDST777 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   EDST777

EDST777

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 296 posts

Posted Today, 09:40 AM

I suppose you could get a probe to examine the rear valve cover (bank 1) without removing the intake manifold, to look for similar oil leak issues, but it would be easier to take the manifold off since you need to check the spark plugs to give you a comparison with spark plugs from bank 2.  But it looks like no leaks on bank 1 from your video.  Most likely you would get an oil smell in the cabin if there were a leak on bank 1, unless it is slow enough.

Will check the logs soon.

Thanks for your professional help. I will check Bank2 plugs, I incline also now to opinion that the problem in Bank2, and most likely with COP because spots of oil are localized around them in Bank2, the second possible cause can be laying of a valvate cover of Bank2. A key for plugs I will take plugs and to investigate them, also I will take COP for studying of a state. But I have no mistakes, it is possible because of weak process of leak. Any your councils are very important for me. Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   EDST777

EDST777

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 296 posts

Posted Today, 09:42 AM

Hi Edward, this site has an article and pictures describing the spark plug seals and offer more info on their replacment. It's on a 2009 Ford Flex, but same 3.5L engine.
https://www.fordflex...opic.php?t=7809

Thanks, is very valuable information, I study it, I think it is really applicable for me.

P.s   It is strange to be told about the image plug tube seals there
  but there are no images.

Edited by EDST777, Today, 11:04 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   EDST777

EDST777

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 296 posts

Posted Today, 12:05 PM

probably this consolidation in a valve cover

DORMAN 097146 {#0971461, 971461, F75Z6734AA} Rubber Gasket; Rubber; Size; M14, 1/2"; Inside Dia: 12.75mm; Outside Dia.: 19.38mm; Thickness: 2.67mm

7T4Z12025A

Attached Files

Edited by EDST777, Today, 12:30 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#10 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,842 posts

Posted Today, 05:00 PM

5 7T4Z-6584-A Valve Cover Gasket

EDGE, MKX; LEFT

$14.58 $10.06   5 7T4Z-6584-B Valve Cover Gasket

EDGE, MKX; RIGHT

$14.53 $10.03

LEFT is bank 1 RIGHT is bank 2.

The FelPro kit looks like it includes everything for both banks, including valve cover gaskets, bolt grommets, spark plug tube seals and VCT solenoid seals.

https://www.rockauto...34490&jsn=10698

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users