Another Bad Brake Booster

Hi. Just had the hissing noise under the dash on my wife's car this weekend. Took it in for service, they identified it as a bad booster and replaced it. When we got the car back, the hissing was gone, but now the pedal goes all the way to the floor. We took the car back, now they've diagnosed it as a bad ABS module to the tune of $1100. As soon as we got the car back, the pedal went to the floor. I'm wondering if anyone else had this? Is there really that much of a coincidence that both could go at the same time?

Thanks!

I had this with mine, they replaced the brake booster, helped a little, but still near floor.

Strange enough, took it in for an oil change about 3-4 months later, casually mentioned about the pedal going to floor (but not requesting service) and when I got the car back, had a high, stiff pedal. Thought about turning around and going back to ask what the technician did, but didn't. Whatever he did, it didn't take any real time and nothing on the service sheet to indicate what he did.

Had the brake fluid changed at the same time I had brakes put on the front. I always suspected that there was air in the lines. That really helped. Still not what I've experienced with previous cars, but acceptable.

• Like 1

Had a similar issue when I had the brake booster replaced on my 2016 SEL. Debris got into the ABS HCU (Hydraulic control Unit) and they had to replace it (mechanic caught that one during test drive and further diagnostics). Still had a soft pedal after that and it turned out to be there is a specific procedure to follow once you replace HCU to properly bleed the brake lines that wasn't executed correctly. They ended up having to flush the brake system fully and reapply the procedure. Haven't had a problem since.

Edited by ONEDGE16
  • Like 1

Hi. Just a follow up, talked to the service manager today, they had a different tech look at it. Sounds like he redid the bleed procedure, and the brakes work great now.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one that had this issue!

• Like 2