Custom Search

Photo
- - - - -

NO paddle shifters on the 2019 Edge FWD... WHAT??

transmission shifting 2019 edge

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,102 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:37 PM

It's not even on sale yet.  I wouldn't expect Ford to make any comments until it's at least on sale, at which point we'll know for sure one way or the other.

(the main reason they won't comment is that things can change at the last minute so they might be giving you bad info).

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

Production starts on September 3rd, so they have known for some time that they will not be putting paddle shifters on any Edge with FWD. This is my understanding from the info I received. I could be wrong. Just wanted someone still working for Ford to verify why they decided to do this, as many people I have spoke with agree that it's a great feature to have, with some saying they would not own another vehicle without it.

#23 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,102 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:27 PM

That’s not something Ford would ever comment on publicly. Either it was done for cost savings or they want to entice buyers to spend more money or they’re using a different transmission that doesn’t support it.

I’m hearing there are 3 different transmissions - one based on the GM 9 speed but with 8 gears in the ST and 2 other 8 speeds based on the old 6F.

#24 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Akirby, I thought the GM based 9 speed (now Ford 8 speed) would be on the majority of the 2019 Edge's and the ST would have the Ford based 8 speed. Guess we'll see how that turns out. I believe GM has been using the 9 speed for a few years now.

Edited by tk2fast, 12 August 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,102 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

Thanks Akirby, I thought the GM based 9 speed (now Ford 8 speed) would be on the majority of the 2019 Edge's and the ST would have the Ford based 8 speed. Guess we'll see how that turns out. I believe GM has been using the 9 speed for a few years now.

I heard the opposite - that the brand new 8 speed would be on the ST as the 8F57 and the others would get a 8 speed version of the 6F35 or 6F50. I guess we’ll just have to wait to find out.

#26 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,102 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

The GM 9 speed just debuted a few months ago on a GM sedan (forgot which one).

#27 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,102 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

The 2019 Edge owner’s manual is posted at www.motorcraftservice.com. It only shows the selectshift transmission operation with the paddle shifters. It does not make any mention of “if equipped” or “optional”. I think that was just a wording difference in the order guide between the new 8 speed transmission and the other transmissions.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#28 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Akirby, time will tell I guess.

#29 OFFLINE   2FAST4U

2FAST4U

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 146 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

I have a '16 Titanium with the 3.5 engine and I don't remember if it has the paddle shifters or not… :headscratch: I don't really care as I've never felt any need for them… :shrug: I put it on "drive" and just do that… DRIVE. 

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U, 12 August 2018 - 07:58 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

I use the select shift feature all the time on my present vehicle as I drive very steep mountain roads and really need those lower gears for drag. Just depends on where you drive I guess.

#31 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,102 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:28 AM

Steep roads are where they are most useful - holding a lower gear.

It’s also useful for a quick downshift or two before pulling out to pass (you can do this from D - you don’t have to be in S - and it goes back to full automatic operation after a few seconds).

People think you have to use it like a regular manual and shift through all the gears all the time but that’s not the case.

#32 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

Steep roads are where they are most useful - holding a lower gear.

It’s also useful for a quick downshift or two before pulling out to pass (you can do this from D - you don’t have to be in S - and it goes back to full automatic operation after a few seconds).

People think you have to use it like a regular manual and shift through all the gears all the time but that’s not the case.

I totally agree. I will purchase the AWD just to get the paddle shifters.

#33 OFFLINE   tamugrad2013

tamugrad2013

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 240 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2012

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:26 PM

If I am not mistaken the all of the Gen 1.5 had select shift either on the gear lever (3.5) or steering wheel shifters (Sport 3.7) except for the ecoboost models. When I was in Colorado on their steep grades shifting to L seemed to work well or even setting cruise control to the speed you do not want to exceed allows it to engine brake very well. I never wanted for more. I am not sure how sport would work, but I could imagine it would be similar. 

#34 ONLINE   Tightanium

Tightanium

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:25 AM

Maybe Ford thinks that there are to many people like me and never use it? I’m not saying they shouldn’t offer it just I don’t have a need for it. I don’t like the delay .

#35 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

The updated order guide as on 9/1 states that the only 2019 Edge to have paddle shifters is the AWD. The FWD will not even have a Select Shift transmission. So strange.

#36 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,102 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

The updated order guide as on 9/1 states that the only 2019 Edge to have paddle shifters is the AWD. The FWD will not even have a Select Shift transmission. So strange.

Yes that’s what it says but it’s not certain whether that’s accurate or not. Could just be a typo.

#37 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

Some time back I tried contacting Ford via email about this to no avail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users