Need a softer ride than 21"

edsasdelli

I have the OEM 21 wheels 265/40/21 Pirelli's. I was wondering if dropping down to OEM 20" 245/50/20 would make a noticeable difference? If not, would I have to go to 19"? Second question. If I change rims, can I re-use the TPMS in the current OEM 21" rims on the new smaller rims. Any help, comments, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Might be the Sport suspension more than the tires themselves. I went to a 275/45/21 to get some more rubber to fill the wheel well gap and noticed very little difference in ride.

Is your sport lowered? Can you snap a couple of pics to see how the tire fills the wheel gap?

I have the OEM 21 wheels 265/40/21 Pirelli's. I was wondering if dropping down to OEM 20" 245/50/20 would make a noticeable difference? If not, would I have to go to 19"? Second question. If I change rims, can I re-use the TPMS in the current OEM 21" rims on the new smaller rims. Any help, comments, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Stock 21" vs. stock 20", there should be difference in ride quality due to thicker rubber (1" difference in diameter, 0.5" more cushioning) and the reduced weight. But whether you'll feel it or not differs from one person to another.

What aspect of ride quality your not comfortable with? It is the suspension movement, like the car going up and down in a too quick fashion that makes your back and neck move quickly (older person? ;) ), then it won't be fixed with smaller wheels. But if it is the impact of the tires on bumps, then there should be a difference.

As for the TPMS, you should be able to use the same sensors.

Might be the Sport suspension more than the tires themselves. I went to a 275/45/21 to get some more rubber to fill the wheel well gap and noticed very little difference in ride.

You have actually put more weight on your wheels (unsprung mass) which is not good on the ride quality.

I bought my 2016 Sport new with the 20" wheels on all-season tires, then bought the OEM 21" wheels with P-Zero summer tires about a month later and I noticed a pretty significant difference between the two. The ride was much more comfortable on the 20's, but I prefer the handling of thinner sidewall summer rubber at the cost of some ride comfort. I also lowered it with the H&R's. These details really just come down to personal preference. I can get away with it in southern California where the roads are in decent shape and its always sunny. If I still lived in the northeast, I'm sure I'd be wearing the 20's more, at least thru the winter. TPMS modules are the same for both.

Thanks

Ed

If you are dead set on going with 20" OEM Edge wheels, I bet you can find someplace to do an even swap if your 21's are still in good shape. There's places that will even powder coat them in whatever color you want first. You will also be saving lots of $$ buying 20" tires from now on, the 21's are really pricey in comparison.

You have actually put more weight on your wheels (unsprung mass) which is not good on the ride quality.

True, tirerack has them listed at 37lb vs 34lb for OEM. Including the weight of the wheel, it would bump it up a few % at each corner. But like I said, there seemed to be negligible difference in overall ride. If the additional sidewall softness is offset by increased weight NVH then I guess it is what it is.

• Like 1

Easiest way to get a softer ride is to get a set of Continental DW or Extreme Contact sport summer tires. They are super soft, have crazy grip. I went 245/45/20 and was happy (and lowered on H&R) and now upgraded front to 275 for crazy track grip and they are even softer and quiet. Also, crazy good in the rain.

Stock tire size provide for a real bad choice of summer tires, go one profile down and suddenly u can get whatever u want at good cost.

I'm running the OEM recommendation of 35psi in the 21s

The recommended pressure is based on a estimated passenger and luggage loading.

Perhaps lowering the pressure to 33 psi will provide sufficient safety while making for a softer ride. I would not go below ~5% however.

Why........the hell would you buy the car with nice lookin BIGGER wheels and, NOT test drive it? And when I say ‘test drive’ thing means more than around the proverbial block????? And if the salesman would have sais something about the ‘time factor’, I would have immediately gone back to the dealership, and told him to figure out his lost commission factor, and gone to a different Ford dealer, made the deal, gone back to the first dealer salesman, and RUBBED IT UNDER HIS NOSE! I then would have brought it to the attention of the Sales Mananger/ Owner! You are spending thousand of $$$, and deserve better treatment period!!!!!!!

Where the hell are the ‘ Emogies’ ?????

To buy this car with the 21” wheels, and now are bitching / whining is not doing a thing for me, do feel sorry what so EVA! You do your reasurch BEFORE NOT AFTERWARD when a lot of $$$ are involved,. Have you heard of this concept??????

I have an Explorer Limited with 20” all season wheels/ tires. From the get go on signing the new car deal, I mentioned to my salesman that the first thing the will be done is a set of 265/40/22 Edge Sport, I now have the later versions with larger 285/40/22. I CANT TELL ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TWO IN INCREASE IN WHEEL SIZE!!! And it looks great, as 20” wheels look way to small on a bigger vehicle over a Edge.

Also got the same day full front end 3M Clear Bra (mirrors, just behind the top of the windshield, headlights/ fog lights, three quater of the top of the hood, full grill, and bumper plus the top of the rear bumper to protected when loading.

“Do it right the FIRST TIME” !!!

Were the hell are the Emogies, or is this Forum short of funds?

frank - CANADA ( your number one trading partner) ‘The Donald’ is out of touch, and four years won’t be that long, if he dosent get impeached first

Thanks

Ed

Why........the hell would you buy the car with nice lookin BIGGER wheels and, NOT test drive it? And when I say ‘test drive’ thing means more than around the proverbial block????? And if the salesman would have sais something about the ‘time factor’, I would have immediately gone back to the dealership, and told him to figure out his lost commission factor, and gone to a different Ford dealer, made the deal, gone back to the first dealer salesman, and RUBBED IT UNDER HIS NOSE! I then would have brought it to the attention of the Sales Mananger/ Owner! You are spending thousand of $$$, and deserve better treatment period!!!!!!!

To buy this car with the 21” wheels, and now are bitching / whining is not doing a thing for me, do feel sorry what so EVA! You do your reasurch BEFORE NOT AFTERWARD when a lot of $$$ are involved,. Have you heard of this concept??????

Not all people have the same personality and attitude to deal with sales people as you do. And even if he did go on a long test drive, some things don't become clear until several days or weeks of ownership.

Where the hell are the ‘ Emogies’ ?????

They are still there, see the attached screenshot.

post-24673-0-37692100-1529911331_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Not all people have the same personality and attitude to deal with sales people as you do. And even if he did go on a long test drive, some things don't become clear until several days or weeks of ownership.

They are still there, see the attached screenshot.

You don't get those on IOS - at least I don't. I haven't bothered to figure out why or how to get them back.

A lot of things don't show up on a test drive.

There was a guy in the waiting room who had a new MKX with 21" tires. It was only a month old and was in having a second tire replaced. First one he picked up a screw. It went in the tread and came out through the sideall, killing the tire. Second tire, he hit a chuckhole and blew out the side of the tire.

He was livid as he had to pay for both tires out of pocket as not covered under warranty (no road hazard warranty). Think the rep said that the tires were over $300 each.

He told service rep that he never realized when he bought the car that tires were so vulnerable to damage.

How many times have all of us bought a car never seeing an obvious flaw that we never seen during the test drive? (Is everyone's hand up)?

Or things we could never have seen, like there is next to no selection with the 21"tires.

Edited by enigma-2