Jack points and jack stand placements?

Have a 2013 Edge, I know of the pinch weld areas to safely jack the vehicle up, however there really isn't any room to jack up and place a stand under the same area. I've taken a few different pictures to get some advice if these places would be suitable to a floor jack and/or jack stand placements. These pictures are rather large, and I don't know if they will place here well so I am going to simply add imgur links.

This is the pinch weld area. The narrow but wide area (as denoted by the arrow) is the safe jacking point, but would love to know if the wide and narrow section beside it is also a safe area to place a jack stand? With how jack stands are, they are rather wide themselves however they fit really well in the larger section without touching the rocker panel. Both sections are super close to each other and look to be identical however would love to know before ruining something.

https://imgur.com/M8QzT5s

These next two are at the rear of the vehicle, the bolt is around the rear tire area, in front of it a tad. The second link is the starting of the control arm for the rear. That place to me doesn't look like the safest place to jack from just from shape and what not, but I could be mistaken. I saw a video where the guy jacked his up from under the control arm to place his stand in the pitch weld. Would love a central area to jack up, even this place I am posting isn't central at all, and will still make the vehicle cockeyed to one side making me jack twice to place stands on either side increasing the chances of rolling the pitch welds.

https://imgur.com/DeNYtYB

https://imgur.com/jchNZGu

The last two are from the front. The first is what I would be to be the sub frame, I don't know if this would be a suitable place to jack from, however in some videos people say sub frames are strong and are places to jack from, again I don't want to do something before consulting, don't want to destroy my vehicle. The second is closer to the rear of the front wheel, (you can see from the first the same area for the second image) has a nice large bolt coming from it so should be a nice area to jack from to then place a stand under the closest pitch weld, however I don't know if it's central enough to raise the car on both sides to place a stand on either end at the same time. I also assume jacking from the bolt end would be rather bad, so using a spacer so the jack doesn't make direct contact with bolts would be suitable?

https://imgur.com/bdzq8Zl

https://imgur.com/lBwsDOI

Any info or pictures would be greatly appreciated. I plan on doing a full brake job this Wednesday coming up, and any info would be greatly appreciated.

This is from my 2009/2010 service manual. It may help.

Jacking and Lifting
WARNING: When jacking or lifting the vehicle, block all wheels remaining on the ground. Set the parking brake if the rear wheels will remain on the ground. These actions help prevent unintended vehicle movement. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.
WARNING: Never get underneath a vehicle that is supported only by a jack. The jack could unintentionally lower. Always support vehicle with floor stands. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.
WARNING: Only raise the vehicle when positioned on a hard, level surface. Attempting to raise the vehicle on an uneven or soft surface may result in vehicle slipping or falling from the jack or jackstand. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.
WARNING: Position the hoist lift arms as shown in the illustration. Incorrect positioning could result in vehicle slipping or falling from the hoist. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.
NOTICE: The jack provided with the vehicle is intended to be used in an emergency for changing a deflated tire. To avoid damage to the vehicle, never use the jack to hoist the vehicle for any other purpose.
NOTICE: Damage to the suspension, exhaust or steering linkage components may occur if care is not exercised when positioning the hoist adapters prior to lifting the vehicle.
NOTICE: Do not attempt to use jack pressure on either the front bumper or the rear bumper of any vehicle. Damage to bumper covers will occur.
NOTICE: To prevent possible damage to the underbody, do not drive the vehicle onto the drive-on lift without first checking for possible interference.
NOTICE: When raising a vehicle on a twin-post hoist, use care when positioning the vehicle so that the hoisting forks do not interfere with the suspension components, mounting brackets or stabilizer mounting brackets, if equipped. In addition, use care in hoist positioning to avoid possible damage to the axle carrier or rear cover.
Jacking and Lifting Points — Front and Rear

post-32762-0-22175900-1531076841_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Notched hockey pucks and front subframe? I have a while to figure it out before I have to rotate tires.

I’ve done it using the spare, but you do have to jack up one wheel twice. Does work though.

Little off topic but this is why I absolutely love discount tire. They will do tire rotations for free. I have never had an issue with them before and when I bought my edge it came with new tires and they still worked on them for free because they could see I was a loyal customer for quite a long time and they knew I would buy from them again. I have been to many stores and they have always been professional and courteous. Even when I was out of state in Colorado Springs they opened the store 15 minutes early because they saw me waiting when the TPMS tripped due to a nail I picked up.

I use notched hockey pucks with my floor jack. Works great and never had an issue.

Or you can get purpose made adapters for that part. The issue is being able to jack it up and place a jack stand so you can use the jack on other wheels.

I just hate to take my vehicle to the tire store and wait for them to rotate them. Although as I get older that gets more attractive (oil changes too).

I use notched hockey pucks with my floor jack. Works great and never had an issue.

Where do you put the stand after you have jacked the corner up? Could you use a stand and hockey puck on the pinch weld right next to where you have jacked it up? To properly rotate tires you need to interchange opposite corners, so that means you need 3 out of 4 corners off the ground.

You typically have an hour or more to wait for a Discount Tire rotation, and since the car I just bought has new tires and don't even know where they were bought from I'm on my own anyway.

Edited by erikrichard

A proper rotation is passenger front to driver rear, driver front to passenger left. You can do it the other way if you are lazy, it's still a lot better than not rotating at all.

Huh? It doesnt matter whether you do a rearward cross or a forward cross as long as you do it the same way each time, and there is nothing lazy about it - its exactly the same amount of work either way.666928B9-CD94-44FE-82EC-426BDFE06290.png

On four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles, the recommended rotation pattern is a “Double X” so the right front and left rear tires switch positions as do the left front and right rear.

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-rotation

I wouldn't jack up opposite corners of a vehicle, I would jack up either both sides of the front or rear and do the other end one at a time. You can do whatever you want, it's your vehicle.

Edited by erikrichard

Or you can get purpose made adapters for that part. The issue is being able to jack it up and place a jack stand so you can use the jack on other wheels.

I just hate to take my vehicle to the tire store and wait for them to rotate them. Although as I get older that gets more attractive (oil changes too).

Use their online scheduling tool. I live in a very boom/bust town with oil and right now it is booming. I went last Saturday and they had people walking in and it they said it would be a 3 to 4 hour wait. I was in and out in 20 minutes. Barely had enough time to thumb through Car and Driver. Now Oil changes I will never take to a place. I get a lot of joy from doing that job.

Edited by tamugrad2013

I have 4 jack stands and 4 slotted hockey pucks. I have at times jacked each corner up with my floor jack and placed a stand with the hockey puck at the designated pinch weld location and had the car up at all 4 corners. Basically completely off the ground and on stands. I don't make a habit of it and wouldn't suggest any one do it regularly. Also, I have a compressor and a pneumatic impact wrench so rotating tires doesn't take that long at all. Next house I build I'm gonna' talk my wife into a 2-post service lift in my garage!! :)

I have 4 jack stands and 4 slotted hockey pucks. I have at times jacked each corner up with my floor jack and placed a stand with the hockey puck at the designated pinch weld location and had the car up at all 4 corners. Basically completely off the ground and on stands. I don't make a habit of it and wouldn't suggest any one do it regularly. Also, I have a compressor and a pneumatic impact wrench so rotating tires doesn't take that long at all. Next house I build I'm gonna' talk my wife into a 2-post service lift in my garage!! :)

I had plans for a 2 post lift for my workshop when it was going to be a stand alone building. But since we ended up in a subdivision I had to settle for a 16x20 attached garage and the posts would be in the way for my woodworking which I would be doing 90% of the time. I’m seriously considering some of the smaller portable hydraulic lifts. They’d be perfect for working on tires or brakes but they don’t go high enough to stand under them.

I had plans for a 2 post lift for my workshop when it was going to be a stand alone building. But since we ended up in a subdivision I had to settle for a 16x20 attached garage and the posts would be in the way for my woodworking which I would be doing 90% of the time. I’m seriously considering some of the smaller portable hydraulic lifts. They’d be perfect for working on tires or brakes but they don’t go high enough to stand under them.

If you want the best of both worlds and can't go up with a lift you can get the portable lifts and have a pit installed. Pits are safe if they have the proper safety mechanisms installed. I would install fire suppression, lighting, air, and easy access with a metal staircase. There are rolling chairs available and please wear a bump hat.

I'm talking about spending your money not mine.

• Like 1

If you want the best of both worlds and can't go up with a lift you can get the portable lifts and have a pit installed. Pits are safe if they have the proper safety mechanisms installed. I would install fire suppression, lighting, air, and easy access with a metal staircase. There are rolling chairs available and please wear a bump hat.

I'm talking about spending your money not mine.

Honestly the portable lift and a creeper would work for what I would be doing. If I can’t use that then I don’t need to be doing the work myself anyway.

• Like 1

Where do you jack the corner up with your floorjack if the stand and hockey puck is placed at the designated pinch weld location?

This is from my 2009/2010 service manual. It may help.

Jacking and Lifting
WARNING: When jacking or lifting the vehicle, block all wheels remaining on the ground. Set the parking brake if the rear wheels will remain on the ground. These actions help prevent unintended vehicle movement. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.
WARNING: Never get underneath a vehicle that is supported only by a jack. The jack could unintentionally lower. Always support vehicle with floor stands. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.
WARNING: Only raise the vehicle when positioned on a hard, level surface. Attempting to raise the vehicle on an uneven or soft surface may result in vehicle slipping or falling from the jack or jackstand. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.
WARNING: Position the hoist lift arms as shown in the illustration. Incorrect positioning could result in vehicle slipping or falling from the hoist. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.
NOTICE: The jack provided with the vehicle is intended to be used in an emergency for changing a deflated tire. To avoid damage to the vehicle, never use the jack to hoist the vehicle for any other purpose.
NOTICE: Damage to the suspension, exhaust or steering linkage components may occur if care is not exercised when positioning the hoist adapters prior to lifting the vehicle.
NOTICE: Do not attempt to use jack pressure on either the front bumper or the rear bumper of any vehicle. Damage to bumper covers will occur.
NOTICE: To prevent possible damage to the underbody, do not drive the vehicle onto the drive-on lift without first checking for possible interference.
NOTICE: When raising a vehicle on a twin-post hoist, use care when positioning the vehicle so that the hoisting forks do not interfere with the suspension components, mounting brackets or stabilizer mounting brackets, if equipped. In addition, use care in hoist positioning to avoid possible damage to the axle carrier or rear cover.
Jacking and Lifting Points — Front and Rear

The way the manual covers this is really ridiculous. First they say always use jackstands if working underneath the vehicle, then the only illustration provided is of the single jack point at each corner that only the manual jack fits. They give no guidance whatsoever on how one is supposed to lift a corner to get a jackstand under one of these lift points, nor do they explain how to make a jackstand support the lift point without damaging/crushing the pinch weld seam edge.

Googling this provides no pics or videos of how to do this with an Edge, so I'm still in the dark here. Looking under the vehicle, no place looks like a good place for a floorjack. Of all the vehicles I've owned, and I've owned several unibody cars, I've never been stumped like this.

Edited by erikrichard
  • Haha 1