Jack points and jack stand placements?

I jack up the entire front or back of my FWD 2011 with a 3 ton floor jack. There is a bar across the back between the wheels, and there is a structural member under the engine. Done this many times without issue.

There are plenty of structural points to put jack stands.

Since I use winter tires on their own rims, I rotate the tires when I change them.

• 1 month later...

On four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles, the recommended rotation pattern is a “Double X” so the right front and left rear tires switch positions as do the left front and right rear.

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-rotation

But if you have directional tyres, you can only swap front to back, not from one side to the other x pattern or otherwise.

Edited by Florafumi

• 3 months later...

I too am looking for a guidance on jacking and lifting this vehicle. I guess we solved the Jacking point issue.   We should Use a cut hockey puck or rubber pinch weld adapter.

What are good Jack Stand location, besides, "there are plenty".

Many owners have felt confused on where to find a appropriate lift point.  I would think some senior member would be nice enough to clear this up with a pinned post on what "their" jack points and jack stand recommendations are.

Edited by thesavo

Hello, I rotate front to back on same side. Have 58,000 miles on car and tires are all worn evenly. I rotate every 7,000 miles.  I use a good floor jack, put it under the front sub frame behind the front tire. Jack entire side of car off ground.  Do the same on other side of car.   I don't see any reason to criss cross tires.  Just my 2 cents.

Larry

Criss cross allow the tire to spin the other way and the scalloping that happens at the front edge of the tread block gets corrected better if it spends 15,000 miles rolling the the opposite direction.    If keeping them on the same side works for you though- then keep on keeping on. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2018 at 8:13 AM, factor99 said:

I jack up the entire front or back of my FWD 2011 with a 3 ton floor jack. There is a bar across the back between the wheels, and there is a structural member under the engine. Done this many times without issue.

There are plenty of structural points to put jack stands.

Since I use winter tires on their own rims, I rotate the tires when I change them.

If possible could you post some pictures, there are many things under the vehicle and I don't dare jack it up on something i'm not 100% sure it wont crumple.  I don't regularly work on cars, so I don't have the knowledge others that work on theirs all the time.  Pinch welds are just dumb, they bend so easy, even with slotted hockey pucks.  Would like to know if a FWD and AWD have the same frame members to jack up from, would be a real breeze to jack then at least place the stands under the dreaded pinch welds.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 12:14 PM, Vortechtral said:

Have a 2013 Edge, I know of the pinch weld areas to safely jack the vehicle up, however there really isn't any room to jack up and place a stand under the same area. I've taken a few different pictures to get some advice if these places would be suitable to a floor jack and/or jack stand placements. These pictures are rather large, and I don't know if they will place here well so I am going to simply add imgur links.

This is the pinch weld area. The narrow but wide area (as denoted by the arrow) is the safe jacking point, but would love to know if the wide and narrow section beside it is also a safe area to place a jack stand? With how jack stands are, they are rather wide themselves however they fit really well in the larger section without touching the rocker panel. Both sections are super close to each other and look to be identical however would love to know before ruining something.

https://imgur.com/M8QzT5s

These next two are at the rear of the vehicle, the bolt is around the rear tire area, in front of it a tad. The second link is the starting of the control arm for the rear. That place to me doesn't look like the safest place to jack from just from shape and what not, but I could be mistaken. I saw a video where the guy jacked his up from under the control arm to place his stand in the pitch weld. Would love a central area to jack up, even this place I am posting isn't central at all, and will still make the vehicle cockeyed to one side making me jack twice to place stands on either side increasing the chances of rolling the pitch welds.

https://imgur.com/DeNYtYB

https://imgur.com/jchNZGu

The last two are from the front. The first is what I would be to be the sub frame, I don't know if this would be a suitable place to jack from, however in some videos people say sub frames are strong and are places to jack from, again I don't want to do something before consulting, don't want to destroy my vehicle. The second is closer to the rear of the front wheel, (you can see from the first the same area for the second image) has a nice large bolt coming from it so should be a nice area to jack from to then place a stand under the closest pitch weld, however I don't know if it's central enough to raise the car on both sides to place a stand on either end at the same time. I also assume jacking from the bolt end would be rather bad, so using a spacer so the jack doesn't make direct contact with bolts would be suitable?

https://imgur.com/bdzq8Zl

https://imgur.com/lBwsDOI

Any info or pictures would be greatly appreciated. I plan on doing a full brake job this Wednesday coming up, and any info would be greatly appreciated.

The service manual clearly references a few times to “support the lower control arm with a floor jack”. So there you have it.