Noise, rumble on the road over 80 km. h (50mph). I suspect overhung bearing.

EDST777

Friends I tried to ask the question in the next branch for FWD as the comment, but there isn't present a solution, I want to allocate the question in a separate subject in a branch for AWD. I have a problem: in the winter at a set of speed on the road over 50 mph I had a rumble, buzz as it seems to me around PTU. I control the level of oil and replacement of oil in PTU, but I have made oil replacement once again in February for a solution. It hasn't played. The rumble at a speed remained. When driving on the city problems weren't. In the summer I have made survey and have found an oil spot in the place of the transaxle and CV Joint connection, and now I think that the problem can be with overhung bearing transaxle. Now the summer was also done by departure on the road, strange, but now there are no noise and a rumble. It has also confirmed my idea, that overhung bearing demands replacement. In the winter the escaped lubricant created buzz, in the summer perhaps the amount of lubricant is enough what driving would be normal. What your opinion? I would like to receive comments of people who had such problem or know solutions. Also I have an idea to replace overhung bearing separately, without buying transaxle, someone did it? Thanks.
Here it is possible to read my post in a subject for FWD with the attached images:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/21417-2013-ford-edge-passenger-cv-axle-replacement/?p=187604

Edited by EDST777

• 2 weeks later...

Friends, I have shipped 662189 CARDONE SELECT, I will do replacement of the right half shaft, further I will observe as the bearing, an intermediate shaft behaves. I still hope to obtain information on whether it is possible to make only replacement of the bearing of an intermediate shaft.
I will ask any thoughts! Thanks.

You mean the hub bearing? Yes, you can replace only the bearing if you want. Will need a hydraulic press to safely remove the old one and install the new one into the hub.

Thanks, I waited for the answer from you, strangely enough, nobody except me was interested in this question or nobody doesn't care before?) You the real professional, I yet never met a question on which you on which you couldn't answer. Thanks.

Edited by EDST777
  • Like 1

I keep getting a noise that I thought was road noise, accompanied by an intermittent, periodic buzzing that I could feel in the gas pedal. At first I thought it was the tires but the last couple days Ive come to the conclusion that the left front wheel hub needs to be replaced.

I keep getting a noise that I thought was road noise, accompanied by an intermittent, periodic buzzing that I could feel in the gas pedal. At first I thought it was the tires but the last couple days Ive come to the conclusion that the left front wheel hub needs to be replaced.

How have you come to such thoughts, it was at acceleration, braking, turn, high speed, something else? Or it was diagnostics with posting on the elevator and listening? How many has passed your car with this hub at the moment? Thanks.

I bought it used with 76000 miles on it (2015 sport) and it had probably 5/32s left on all tires, and Ive always known pirellis to get noisy towards the end of their life. Initially I thought it was just road noise from the tires, and there was always this very mild vibration in the gas pedal over 50 mph, but I didnt really know what to think of it.

The other day I got up to a high rate of speed and the noise grew louder and the period of the vibration shortened, but also got louder and more distinct in the gas pedal.

I just had the PTU apart for a seal change (well the dealer did, not me) so I dont think the issue is there, and I can only feel the vibration on one side of the vehicle (vibration was there before PTU work).

After dealing with the above symptoms at a high rate of speed, I determined (possibly incorrectly, I dont yet have proof) that the LF wheel hub bearing is bad. I plan to replace it myself as I dont believe it to be covered under extended warranty.

• Like 2