Adding Remote Start

Before winter arrives Im looking at adding a Ford Remote Start to my 2017 Edge Sport

Got a call today from dealer who was ordering the module......

Now they are telling my I need new key fobs

and another module.

Ive read that It is a simple plug in by Ford and just requires the current key fob to be pressed three times to activate and start the vehicle

Has anyone done this and if so, tell me what parts Ill need.

My '11 had remote start and a 5 button FOB. Unless there is a different key sequence that other FOBs use, you'll need a FOB that has the Remote Start button on it. Press it twice and the car starts. Others may chime in and correct me on this but I do think you'll need a different FOB.

• Like 1

So If I need to buy two new fobs and have them programmed that'll be as much as the remote start module itself.

That would negate me trying to add remote start !

Thanks all

Ā 

btw...it's a late 2017 so that's throwing confusion for the dealership. They got the vin# and are contacting Ford

I wish someone local to me would avail themselves to allow me to test a theory...but I think you can add factory build remote start by changing some hardware and reprogramming along with getting the proper fobs. Just a theory until I can try it though. I have had this theory for a long time.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 2

So If I need to buy two new fobs and have them programmed that'll be as much as the remote start module itself.

That would negate me trying to add remote start !

Thanks all

Ā 

btw...it's a late 2017 so that's throwing confusion for the dealership. They got the vin# and are contacting Ford

Ā 

You have two options for remote start. You can use smartlink and remote start via phone. Or you can purchase the VSS and the antennae for your car.

Ā 

Programming the keys takes around 10-15 min but they will charge you a half an hour. I'd suggest shopping online for a 5 button or 4 button key (depending on if you have power trunk etc. You can use the keys from the edge, fusion, explorer or F150.

Ā 

They are infinitely cheaper online as opposed to the dealership. The saving grace is that most dealerships will cut your keys for free if you get them programmed there. Or you can program them yourself if you have two master keys.

Ā 

I wish someone local to me would avail themselves to allow me to test a theory...but I think you can add factory build remote start by changing some hardware and reprogramming along with getting the proper fobs. Just a theory until I can try it though. I have had this theory for a long time.

Ā 

I agree with you, I thought the programming for remote start required IDS and can not be done via forscan,

The description of three times of the lock button with a Ford accessory install only applies to the 2018 and up.

Sorry, but third party remote starters are available that use three press start with original fobs or 2015 on up. I bought mine on ebay and for 125.00 dollars and installed it in about 20 minutes with no splicing, plug and play.

Ā 

Examples:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=2015-18+F150+14-17+FUSION+14-17+MKZ+15-17+EDGE+PLUG+%26+PLAY+REMOTE+START+STARTER+&_id=122475959209&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

Edited by vega
  • Like 1

Sorry, but third party remote starters are available that use three press start with original fobs or 2015 on up. I bought mine on ebay and for 125.00 dollars and installed it in about 20 minutes with no splicing, plug and play.

Sorry but I was referencing official Ford accessory hardware. Not 3rd party.

• Like 3

jmr061

Can I get the Ford part number from you ?

Ā 

Here is all the info you need except for the keys.

Ā 

You need the hood switch kit and the VSS and the Antenna https://accessories.ford.com/electronics/remote-start.html

Ā 

Key info (just for example) https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Keyless-Remote-5-Button-Proximity/dp/B013F4AKBQ

Ā 

I have this key for my 2017 https://www.amazon.com/Ford-5-Button-Smart-Proximity-M3N-A2C93142600/dp/B076TDYV2P/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1533359033&vehicle=2018-54-2816-------------0&sr=1-2-catcorr&ymm=2018%3Aford%3Afusion&keywords=2018+fusion+key+fob

Ā 

You need the hood switch kit and the VSS and the Antenae

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

BTW I stand corrected on the OEM 18+ Ford Remote Start add on. The key press squence is lock/unlock/lock, not lock 3 times.

Ā 

I see one dealer on eBay sells the 18 kit stating it works on all 15 and up Edges. This contradicts what the official Ford accessory site lists as far as compatibility goes. They say it is 18+ only.

Ā 

The Edge uses the same kit as the Explorer and I am aware of someone that had that eBay dealer send them the 18 kit for his 16 or 17 (don't remember which it was) and it caused the cluster to go nuts with errors. They ended up sending the "correct" kit and the vehicle was just fine with it.

Ā 

The add on accessory for the 15-17 uses a single button fob so you end up carrying two (the original and the remote start fob). This is why some people hate these kits.

Ā 

For the Ford authorized remote start (one way long range) this is what the kit is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-thru-17-Edge-OEM-Genuine-Ford-Parts-Remote-Start-Security-System-Kit-NEW/181889067427?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AEdge&hash=item2a596ee9a3%3Ag%3AtowAAOSwk-1Z94eb&_sacat=0&_nkw=ford+remote+start+edge+oem&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC0.A0.H0.Xford+remote+start+edge+oem.TRS0

Ā 

If the vehicle already has the perimeter alarm on the window sticker it already has a functioning hood switch (built into the hood latch assembly for the 15+). Just need the kit and remote start properly enabled.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

AntDeek - I have a 2017 and Im trying to add remote start but want to use the factory key fobs. Everything Ive read says I need forscan to reprogram the suv to have the hood pin activated. By dh downloaded forscan but were trying to figure out what exactly to do in the program to tell the suv to activate he hood pin. Would you happen to know?

• 9 months later...