Daytime Running Lights

I have a 2014 Edge SEL that came without Daytime Running Lights. Is it possible to add (what I presume is) a DRL module to this car?

To clarify, the car has the vertical white LEDs low in the "bumper" and they work with the headlights and parking lights, but I would like them to come on as running lights, as they do in Canada, whenever the vehicle is running and the parking brake is released.

Dave in San Jose

The lower vertical white LEDs are called auxiliary parking lamps and are not OEM DRLs.

For vehicles with halogen headlamps, the DRL system operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity. When enabling the DRL using a scan tool, two modes of operation can be selected. The low beam headlamps will illuminate at a reduced intensity (halogen headlamps) or the front turn lamps will illuminate continuously (not flashing) at full intensity.

For vehicles with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, the DRL system continuously (not flashing) illuminates the front turn lamps at full intensity. When enabling the DRL using a scan tool, only one mode of operation should be selected. The front turn lamps will illuminate continuously (not flashing) at full intensity.

Those are the factory choices (programmable, no additional hardware).

As mentioned above there are aftermarket kits that can turn the auxiliary parking lamps into pseudo DRL.

• Like 3

Followup: (1) I watched the ad for Drivebright and later I watched the entire installation video; very interesting. Expensive, but you get a lot of stuff.

(2) The dealer tells me that the car either came with DRLs or it did not. In this case, it did not. There was no mention of using a scan tool to enable them and I did not ask any further questions.

(3) It occurs to me that I could unplug the wire that goes TO the supplemental passing lamps and instead plug it into an accessory lug on the fuse panel and I would get Daytime Running Lights whenever the ignition is ON. Can anybody see a drawback to doing that?

Dave

Edited by Dave Schultheis

Supplemental passing lamps? You mean the high beam headlights? Connecting them to ignition switched power would leave them on even at night when you don't want them.

If you mean the accent lights in the bumper then yes, you could connect them to an ignition switched source to simulate DRLs but they are far too dim to be of much use for that purpose. The Drivebright replacements are many times brighter and quite effective as DRLs.

• Like 3