What the ST is, what it might have been?

Chipster

... Fixed it for you.

The reason there's a "family sedan exhaust" on the Ecoboost Mustang is because no Mustang owner wants to listen to a 4-cylinder exhaust (or even admit they have one)... if you're buying a Mustang for performance, you certainly aren't buying the EB. But for those who like the sound of fart cannons (i.e. ricers), there are aftermarket options available.

Just the opinion of a Mustang owner. B)

I just bought a 2018 Perfromance Pack Ecoboost with the 10speed auto for a daily run around (average below 8l/100km when cruising - its fantastic lol). Car has 500km on the clock and I just ordered a Magnaflow competition cat back. Its not going to sound like a V8, because it isnt a V8, but it will sound closer to the Focus RS (with which you know it share a lot\not exact engine). I think the EB should have sounded like the focus RS direct from the factory.

I am not saying 4 poppers should sound like V8's but there are great sounding 4 cylinders out there; all 45 series AMG merc's, Focus RS, 2018 S3 with the new exhaust, Clusport S GTI, Golf R with Akra pipes, Hyundai i30 N etc. There is no replacement for displacement but that is not an excuse to completely ignore what comes out the back of your 4 poppers...

I guess for Ford the most important consideration is: Would they sell more units of a well balanced, lowered, stiffer, and a bit more powerful Edge which had a ST affixed to it, or will the demand for a badge engineered "could have been" suit the bean counters & customers just as well? As we here know all too well, either way this is going to be an expensive vehicle. Will it be worth it?

Edited by Chipster

@max83_za:

You dont want it to be called an ST because thats just a warmed over version of a bland model. But the replacement for the edge sport, by your own admission, is essentially going to be a warmed over version of the Ford Edge. So by definition, doesnt the new Edge ST fall exactly in line with you definition of ST?

Did I get that right? Or am I missing something?

@max83_za:

You dont want it to be called an ST because thats just a warmed over version of a bland model. But the replacement for the edge sport, by your own admission, is essentially going to be a warmed over version of the Ford Edge. So by definition, doesnt the new Edge ST fall exactly in line with you definition of ST?

You nailed it.

It's called a ST because Ford Performance tuned it. That's all it means. It doesn't mean it has to meet a specific performance target. This should be the fastest and best handling Edge ever produced. And I don't see where they could get much more performance out of it on the current platform.

@max83_za:

Exactly nailed it! The Edge sport is already too firm so what will ST do, lower it and firm it up. Because when its lower and firmer it must be faster according to Ford. They also add 10hp because now its an ST but essentially, it will still run out of steam at 5000rpm. This is exactly what they do with all their ST models and then everyone gets excited because its a Ford Performance product. What a joke.

So what I am saying, leave the sport alone. Make it faster or warmer with more power and torque but make it more comfortable with adaptive dampers instead of ruin it with a wannabe stiffer design and stupid stickers. Sell it for what it is instead of what its pretending to be.

Exactly nailed it! The Edge sport is already too firm so what will ST do, lower it and firm it up. Because when its lower and firmer it must be faster according to Ford. They also add 10hp because now its an ST but essentially, it will still run out of steam at 5000rpm. This is exactly what they do with all their ST models and then everyone gets excited because its a Ford Performance product. What a joke.

So what I am saying, leave the sport alone. Make it faster or warmer with more power and torque but make it more comfortable with adaptive dampers instead of ruin it with a wannabe stiffer design and stupid stickers. Sell it for what it is instead of what its pretending to be.

Fair enough, in that case Im inclined to agree with you. I prefer the sport designation over ST. I thought making an edge ST was a bit gimmicky anyways.

But I dont see it being a warmed over version of the edge sport, I see it being a massive performance upgrade to the Edge lineup.

Btw, it gets an additional 20 hp and 30 lbft, and an 8 speed automatic, which should help even more so than the power upgrades due to being able to be more in the center of the power band.

I dont understand why they went away from the continuously variable damping. That actually really bothers me, especially with the price increase.

I dont understand why they went away from the continuously variable damping. That actually really bothers me, especially with the price increase.

Because that would have added even more cost to the ST, not only in parts alone but also engineering and testing cost. On a trim level with very small per year sales it just didn't make sense. The ST is already a 50K vehicle which puts it at the limit of what people are willing to pay for a two-row Ford SUV. Plus it's dangerously close to the price of a nicely equipped Nautilus.

Because that would have added even more cost to the ST, not only in parts alone but also engineering and testing cost. On a trim level with very small per year sales it just didn't make sense. The ST is already a 50K vehicle which puts it at the limit of what people are willing to pay for a two-row Ford SUV. Plus it's dangerously close to the price of a nicely equipped Nautilus.

Cost is always a factor, but the only engineering required would have a been a bit of tuning. Its not like they had to invent it for the Edge.

Ford had annual price increases, even without content increases and continuously has higher than market average transaction prices.

The price of these vehicles is getting out of hand

• 4 weeks later...

They should have built it on a new chassis. One that is rear wheel drive biased like the F150.

An ST badged Edge was inevitable given that Ford is moving away from passenger car production, and increasing SUV, light truck production. They have always done well with sales of the Raptors, HD and Eddie Bauer edition vehicles. I'm sure we'll see more of this type of marketing in the coming years.

I'm sure it will have enough power. The Edge Sport has plenty of power, but handles poorly.

They should have built it on a new chassis. The Edge Sport has plenty of power, but handles poorly.

So, as the owner of a poorly handling Sport that is coming off lease, I honestly and seriously would appreciate your advice and recommendation for a replacement vehicle (any make) that will give me the same or better performance at the same price as the ST ? Thanks. :)

I just bought a 2018 Perfromance Pack Ecoboost with the 10speed auto for a daily run around (average below 8l/100km when cruising - its fantastic lol). Car has 500km on the clock and I just ordered a Magnaflow competition cat back. Its not going to sound like a V8, because it isnt a V8, but it will sound closer to the Focus RS (with which you know it share a lot\not exact engine). I think the EB should have sounded like the focus RS direct from the factory.

I am not saying 4 poppers should sound like V8's but there are great sounding 4 cylinders out there; all 45 series AMG merc's, Focus RS, 2018 S3 with the new exhaust, Clusport S GTI, Golf R with Akra pipes, Hyundai i30 N etc. There is no replacement for displacement but that is not an excuse to completely ignore what comes out the back of your 4 poppers...

but Ford performance has dropped the ball on the Ford performance tune for the 2018 Ecoboost...which is still not available !

So, as the owner of a poorly handling Sport that is coming off lease, I honestly and seriously would appreciate your advice and recommendation for a replacement vehicle (any make) that will give me the same or better performance at the same price as the ST ? Thanks. :)

I am also coming off lease soon. Right now I'm looking at the Volvo XC60 T6, Audi SQ5, VW Golf R, Acura RDX S-Type. If the VW Tiguan R Line actually came with the Golf R engine, that would be my choice, but VW refuses to offer that package because it would cut into Audi Q5 sales.

And when you say "performance" keep in mind that horsepower isn't the only indicator of performance. My sister in laws Tiguan S is actually much faster around highway on ramps, and much more enjoyable to drive than my Edge, even though it has 130 less horsepower.

Ford is notorious for selling the most horsepower per dollar in most vehicle segments, but they skimp on things like the transmission and vehicle handling dynamics.

Edited by pinyin
  • Like 1

Thanks. I live in "resume speed" British Columbia (love it) and we used to have car dealers but not anymore, closest dealers are 100 miles away with the "big" three represented and VW but no Volvo, Audi, Acura, I would have to drive three hours to the big city for those and three hours back. So as VW will not make your Tiguan with the Golf R engine, for somewhat local service, I guess I am stuck with the big three? That's the price you pay to live in paradise ! :) So would you take the VW Tiguan R or the Edge ST?

Right now I'm leaning more towards the Volvo T6. If you are used to power of the Edge Sport, you may disappointed by the Tiguan's wimpy little 2.0T. To get to a similar level of power you would have to spend around 10-12K more for the Audi SQ5, which is a much nicer vehicle than the Edge ST, but as you said, is a no go for you in your locale. Luckily for me I live in the big city, and we have an abundance of dealers within a 15 mile radius.

With the Edge RS being a Canadian built vehicle I do wonder if prices are slightly cheaper at Canadian dealers?

Edited by pinyin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...