2019 Ford Edge Review

blitz118

The Kia has consistently achieved 32-34 mpg on the highway in Florida (very flat) and averaged just under 28 mpg on a trip to Canada. The Edge could be coaxed to get 28-29 mpg on the highway in Florida by using high mileage driving techniques (I had to do it to convince my wife it was possible when she complained regularly that the mileage was no better than the GMC Envoy I6 we had before it). Without working at it so much, the average was 25-26 mpg highway. That average was consistent even on another trip to Canada so the Edge seemed to be less affected by terrain than the Sorento. In fact, even disabling the overdrive to reduce the constant shifting in the mountains didn't seem to make much difference... probably because of the broad torque range of the Ecoboost engine.

Those numbers are calculated rather than relying on the dash computer because those are notoriously inaccurate. The variances are across multiple trips. (she also complains about how I record miles and gallons on long trips <sigh>)

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

The Kia has consistently achieved 32-34 mpg on the highway in Florida (very flat) and averaged just under 28 mpg on a trip to Canada. The Edge could be coaxed to get 28-29 mpg on the highway in Florida by using high mileage driving techniques (I had to do it to convince my wife it was possible when she complained regularly that the mileage was no better than the GMC Envoy I6 we had before it). Without working at it so much, the average was 25-26 mpg highway. That average was consistent even on another trip to Canada so the Edge seemed to be less affected by terrain than the Sorento. In fact, even disabling the overdrive to reduce the constant shifting in the mountains didn't seem to make much difference... probably because of the broad torque range of the Ecoboost engine.

Those numbers are calculated rather than relying on the dash computer because those are notoriously inaccurate. The variances are across multiple trips. (she also complains about how I record miles and gallons on long trips <sigh>)

Thanks - that's perfect!...

So somewhere around 20% better in Florida? I'd agree that's "far better mileage"!

The experience I had was 2017 3.5 Edge Titanium v6 compared to a 2018 Edge Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost on a drive from NW WI to Indianapolis. The 2.0 beat the 3.5 by about 3 MPG on the round trip.

Yes, of the line but then that's all the power you get. There is no top end power.

When first driving the MKC, it felt really strong in traffic city driving, then I decided to see how much more power it got and found that beyond ~4K RPM there is no more additional power. It's flat. I had more than 1 MKC rentals with the 2.3, they were all the same. They were AWD by the way, just like my MKX was.

I'm sure Ford did some research and found 99% of drivers never exceed 4000 RPMs, so lets's just run a tiny turbo to make it all bottom end. People buy em like mad so....

• Like 1

Yes, I have. Its performance is very similar to the V6 except it has more torque below 3000 RPM... above 3000 RPM they're basically indistinguishable. I had taken care of the torque in my V6 by changing the rear end gears and tuning.

My Edge was an Ecoboost as well. In fact, I bought the Edge over other options specifically because of the Ecoboost. The performance was decent but the economy is a myth (our current V6 Kia Sorento - bigger and heavier - gets far better mileage with similar performance) and I still don't see turbos as being a good choice for the long run. So, if I'm not going to get great mileage in a new Mustang anyway, then I'll go with the naturally aspirated V8 over a small forced induction engine every time.

Interesting you should say that because I have an 18 EB Mustang and yes, it doesnt make a lot of power over 6k but with the 10 speed box you can keep the power in the sweet spot all the time. My car has only 1100km on the clock, my fastest 0-100kph is 5.7 (should be able to easily get it below 5.5 if I find a piece of road with a bit more traction) and if I put it on Cruise Control at 100kph I average below 8l/100km; sounds like a I am having my cake and eating it and all for under 30k Canadian!

Our Edge Sport, V6 EB, averages 11l/100 in town and below 9l/100 on the open road even when fully loaded with the AC running. The old gal even managed below 10 during a roadtrip at -35 C !! And when the opportunity strikes, she doesnt mind hiking up her ol' skirt and showing some supposedly much faster cars a clean pair of heels.

EB doesnt sound as bad as a lot of people make them out to be... Soon, all Fords will be turbocharged and then the hybrid era will set in before we go all electric. The nice thing about continuous progression, it gives old people something to complain about all the time :)

At 100 kph (62 mph) you would be getting run over from behind on most US Interstates. Actually, I remember having that feeling at 120 kph on the 401 and QEW near Toronto. The mileage difference between 60 mph (100 kph) and 75 mph (120 kph) is significant. I was able to hit 29 mpg (about 8L/100km) in the Ecoboost Edge only on a secondary highway at around 60 mph... on Interstates it was consistently 25-26 mpg (9L/100km).

My experience with the Ecoboost is that it runs out of breath closer to 4500 RPM than 6000 RPM. And driving a stick has a greater impact on economy than the 10 speed automatic so the difference between a manual transmission EB and V8 is not as significant. My point was that the Ecoboost does not generally produce the big difference in economy that is its biggest selling point. So if I'm not going to get great mileage anyway, why not buy the V8 Mustang instead? It's all a matter of personal preference and for me the performance difference, sound, and lack of forced induction is more important than the relatively small difference in economy. Now, if the Ecoboost could boast a really significant improvement in mileage then that whole equation might change.

• Like 1

At 9.9L/100km, your car is getting more than 10% better mileage than its rating (23.7 mpg while rated at 21 mpg). That's pretty good. I'm used to getting 19-20 mpg in combined city/highway driving with my V6 Mustang which is comparable to what the reviews are saying a new model V8 gets so the change for me wouldn't be that much. I don't put a lot of miles on it (8 years old and only 60,000 miles) so the overall impact on my wallet isn't that big. But I know what you mean about the impact of Canadian gas prices... gas was about 1.29 per liter when I was last in Toronto and that is close to double the price here in Florida. That might change my outlook if I decided to move back to Canada.

The Mustang Coyote V8 goes from 407 HP to 420 HP when switching from regular to premium fuel. That's a 3.2% increase. But it costs 26% more for the fuel at today's local prices ($2.69 for regular, $3.39 for premium). In the gambling world that's what is called a "sucker bet". On the track it might get you a tenth or two but on the street you'd never even notice it.

• Like 1

Additive packages are what set apart the brands you buy. Costco 93 and Shell 93 will not perform the same. I have good experience lately with all grades of Exxon/Mobil Synergy gas.

But yeah quality of gasoline is pretty good in Top Tier these days, as is engine design in general. It takes longer to reap rewards on stock vehicles, but there is definitely that daily boost in small doses that if you are sensitive to you can enjoy.

• Like 1

I keep it simple: I use premium because I can get it in Wisconsin without ethanol in it.

Ethanol blows, for more reasons than we're gonna wanna discuss here, and if I can find a way to nit use any of the crap, I won't.

In this case, most of the performance and mileage increase is because of the pure gasoline rather than the octane rating. Gasoline has about 33% more energy by volume than ethanol so switching from an ethanol blend to pure gasoline (even at the same octane rating) will give you an immediate improvement. Often the difference is enough to be noticed by the "butt dyno".

The trend lately has been for more and more gas stations to offer a non-ethanol grade because it is much better for small engines like motorcycles, boats, lawn mowers and generators. It is usually offered at separate pumps as a mid-grade 89 octane but some are premium and a very few are regular 87 octane. Just be aware that it may not come from the same supplier as the ethanol blends sold at the same station. It may not even be branded or top-tier fuel. Generally, if it is offered at all of the pumps as their higher octane (e.g. all premium at a station is non-ethanol while the other grades are E10) then it is their branded fuel. But if it's only offered at one or two separate pumps then check the labeling carefully to determine if it might be unbranded fuel being sold as a convenience.

• Like 2

In this case, most of the performance and mileage increase is because of the pure gasoline rather than the octane rating. Gasoline has about 33% more energy by volume than ethanol so switching from an ethanol blend to pure gasoline (even at the same octane rating) will give you an immediate improvement. Often the difference is enough to be noticed by the "butt dyno".

The trend lately has been for more and more gas stations to offer a non-ethanol grade because it is much better for small engines like motorcycles, boats, lawn mowers and generators. It is usually offered at separate pumps as a mid-grade 89 octane but some are premium and a very few are regular 87 octane. Just be aware that it may not come from the same supplier as the ethanol blends sold at the same station. It may not even be branded or top-tier fuel. Generally, if it is offered at all of the pumps as their higher octane (e.g. all premium at a station is non-ethanol while the other grades are E10) then it is their branded fuel. But if it's only offered at one or two separate pumps then check the labeling carefully to determine if it might be unbranded fuel being sold as a convenience.

I use gas without ethanol for the reasons you list above, and the fact that ethanol is an environmental and economic joke. It's bad for everyone and everything except a limited number of people who get paid to push it.

I won't use it unless I've no choice.

Everything here has ethanol in it, and it's a $0.35 jump from 87 to 89, and another $0.35 jump from 89 to 92. Shell stations ae even higher- typically $0.45 per jump or more, even when gas is close to $2.

I run 87 in my SHO, since I don't really beat on it.

Yeah, right now it's costing me about $0.35/gallon to use non-ethanol. It's worth it to me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2018 at 6:24 AM, todd92 said:

Quietly mentioned at the end is the huge change in the AWD system. The differential is in the front now, so the PTU is gone?

anyone know the driving dynamic changes? im planning on either an edge or murano to replace a subaru. about the only thing i like about the suby is that the awd system is "always on" so there's always at least 40% power going to the rear. super fun to gun around cloverleaf freeway on ramps and the car really grips the road in inclimate weather. our pathfinder does the "Engage the rear when front tires slip" thing and it was pretty dicey in an ice storm. i think i may rule out the 2019 if the rear axle power isnt programmed very aggresivley. anyone know if the 2018 always has power to the rear? or if its more than the 19? thanks.

Edited by unhappylegacyowner

Ford's AWD system has always been (at least the current gen) proactive and intelligent.   It will anticipate the need for rear torque and engage it before slippage occurs (e.g. fast starts, accelerating while turning, etc.) so in that case it's better than some of the 100% reactive systems.  But it's not going to constantly send any significant torque to the rear if it doesn't think it's needed.  In fact new for 2019 is a disconnecting PTU that completely disconnects the rear when it's not needed for better mpg.   I would think the Ford Edge ST system would be in between the other two you described.

• 4 weeks later...

" In fact new for 2019 is a disconnecting PTU that completely disconnects the rear when it's not needed for better mpg"

? Can anyone find that functionality in print in any Ford publication... it is not mentioned in my OWNERS MANUAL, PROPRIETARY STANDARD EQUIPMENT list for the SE, or my WINDOW STICKER.   My Sales Associate was a bit fuzzy on this aspect and quoted a "approx 20/80% disconnect" at highway speeds.. 

TIA

My Sales Associate got back to me with the following info..

"

"SE AWD Edge does completely disconnect at all speeds, not just highway speeds. There is system of sensors, clutches, and algorithms that tell the vehicle when the AWD is needed. 

The 80%/20% I was referring to was how the system works when it’s needed. If the vehicles senses that there is any slippage, it will direct the torque to the correct wheels."

awddisconnect.jpg

• Like 2