2010 Edge Sunroof Won’t close

Hi! I have a 2010 Ford Edge limited with a sunroof. Last week, I was closing it and a small black piece of plastic broke off and it wouldnt close. It would get about 3 inches from the end, stop, and then shift back. We took it to the dealership and they said it would be somewhere between $1500-$3000. So, we took it home and parked it in the garage until we could figure out how to fix it. After looking online for a couple hours, I followed the instructions for reinitilization and it just closed. We werent going to use it anymore so it wouldnt get stuck open, but the other day I tried to open just the cover thing and not the glass, and the cover stayed closed while the glass opened above it. Now, it just stops about 3 inches from the end and stays there, and the cover will close without the glass being closed. The reinitilization isnt working this time. I really need it fixed asap. Is there anyway to fix it without going without a car for a week and spending a bunch of money?

I can tell you "what", perhaps someone else can help with "how'. With the car turned off, so it bypasses all the (smart?) logic, you need to jump the motor that closes the glass. Apply an external power - separate battery - to the pins on the motor's electrical connector that power it forward. The trouble is that there are two motors (behind the rear glass panel, and above the headliner) and each motor has a multi pin connector.

Getting to the motors should not be difficult. Pull down on the headliner behind the rear opening. Then, which motor and which pins? If nobody here knows, your dealer will, and should be able to force the glass shut. Try insisting they do this, instead of thousands to diagnose and restore full functionality.

• Like 1