Steering wheel leather coming off

2016 Titanium, ~40K on it...the leather covering on the steering wheel is peeling off around the area where the spoke meets the outer rim on the left side of the steering wheel.

Anyone else seeing this kind of thing? I don't hold the steering wheel there...

Car is covered by extended "Ford Certified" Waranty.

Slight sidebar: there's a "dent" in the material covering the door panel at the top near the window.

I can provide pictures if they help.

Do you happen to have adaptive steering? If yes, did you get the airbag replaced? Or did you get the adaptive steering fault that required fixing?

Why I am asking is because if you had the adaptive steering fault & it was fixed under warranty then you have already had a new steering wheel replaced, so it might have additional warranty period on it.

Also, in case you had the driver's airbag replaced, on Edges with the adaptive steering, it required the dealer to make two slit on the back of both spokes, so there might have been a mistake that cut the leather? Just a thought as your Edge is relatively new to get such a defect in the leather.

That condition for a 2 year old steering wheel is not acceptable!

While I generally agree you also need to consider mileage not just age. A fellow with a 2017 F450 needed a new high pressure fuel pump a couple of months ago and wanted to know how to get Ford to help cover the cost since he was out of warranty. Then he explained that he had 278K miles!!!! Extreme case but you get the point.

• Like 1

I had wrinkles and what seemed like a delamination of my steering wheel leather on my 2011 Sport. Not as bad as what you have pictured, I showed my dealer immediately as the car was only a few months old. Ford said they would do nothing. Its leather, natural material, variations, wrinkles, blah blah blah. I hate it, but short of new wheel entirely, there was nothing I could do. Some dealers will bend over backwards to help and some dont give a crap. My dealer was the latter.

• Like 2

Fight them on the light.

Ford will not replace a light unless the water runs as droplets inside, which yours has all over. Unless lights are specifically excluded from a CPO "Bumper to Bumper" they should replace it. Lights are excluded from the Ford ESP warranties unless you buy that coverage, but bumper to bumper means everything that's not a wear item.

• Like 1

We'll see. Working on escalating it past the people who are paid to say "no". I'm going to make an issue of it, covered or not because a part shouldn't fail like that at 40K and two years. We'll see how much Ford really cares about their customers in the process.

On the plus side, the new steering wheel makes the edge faster, improves mileage and acceleration! ;)

Yeah, you'd be misinterpreting.

Prolly oughta ask before you jump to conclusions.

You also might want to brush up on your legal interpretation of warranties.

What's covered is covered, regardless of whether it was current or previous owner.

Without that in place there's be no benefit to CPO style coverage, everything could be blamed on the previous owner and the warranty issuer could duck out of every claim...unless they returned the vehicle to as new condition.

Since they don't do that, they have to rely on their inspection of the vehicle being good enough to offer the coverage in the first place. As soon as they offer the contract and it gets signed...they own the problems the warranty holder finds.

...and a good company finds a way to go over and above to ensure repeat business, and good word of mouth (and these days, keyboard) from happy customers. I believe Ford to be a good company, we'll see what they choose to do.

Edited by Further North

You said it wasn’t a covered part. Warranties are defects in materials or workmanship, not damage whether it’s a CPO or factory warranty.

And you did not buy a new vehicle from Ford, you bought it used which does nothing for Ford. That’s another pet peeve. If you want Ford to help you then you should be helping Ford by buying a new vehicle. The dealer isn’t Ford - they’re independent businesses.

If it’s supposed to be covered by the CPO warranty then I’m with you. If not you have no case.