Steering wheel leather coming off

What I said was

They are saying it is not a covered part.

We'll see where they go with it. I will continue to push until I'm out of options. People who take the first "no" they get usually spend life unhappy with what they get...

If I were Ford, I wouldn't want a two year old, 40,000 mile vehicle with my name on it running around and the owner letting people know they didn't take care of it. But it's their call.

I agree that the condition of that steering wheel should not happen in such a short time or mileage. And I hope that Ford will help you out with it as a goodwill gesture. However, I looked at the CPO warranty coverage as posted in a PDF on their website and it appears that this wouldn't be covered under the CPO warranty. In the "Steering" section, it lists all of the mechanical parts, seals and gaskets, and the electric power assist but there is no mention of the wheel itself. And there is no mention of trim anywhere so they probably consider the steering wheel leather to be no more under warranty than any other trim like seats or door panels.

I wish you luck.

Yes, that is correct - he is entitled to all of the warranty coverage that comes with a CPO car. Unfortunately, Ford's CPO warranty doesn't cover the steering wheel or any trim pieces. Here is the coverage listing from the Ford site: https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/global/pdf/cpo/ford_program_brochure.pdf

Edited by TheWizard

Yes, that is correct - he is entitled to all of the warranty coverage that comes with a CPO car. Unfortunately, Ford's CPO warranty doesn't cover the steering wheel or any trim pieces. Here is the coverage listing from the Ford site: https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/global/pdf/cpo/ford_program_brochure.pdf

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. CPOs and ESPs are usually not bumper to bumper coverage. And they never cover damage.

• Like 1

I agree that the condition of that steering wheel should not happen in such a short time or mileage. And I hope that Ford will help you out with it as a goodwill gesture. However, I looked at the CPO warranty coverage as posted in a PDF on their website and it appears that this wouldn't be covered under the CPO warranty. In the "Steering" section, it lists all of the mechanical parts, seals and gaskets, and the electric power assist but there is no mention of the wheel itself. And there is no mention of trim anywhere so they probably consider the steering wheel leather to be no more under warranty than any other trim like seats or door panels.

I wish you luck.

They already replaced the steering wheel, and fixed a small oil leak. They declined an indentation on the door panel (I assume previous owner drove with his elbow there all the time) and I'm fine with that.

All that's up in the air is the liftgate light. We're still talking about that.

Edited by Further North

I wish you luck.

I know they won’t on door panels. One of my rear door panels suddenly started to get a weird white spot about a quarter size. They blamed it on a cleaner used on it. I bought car used , only 8 months old at the time. 3 months into ownership I noticed it. Ok so it’s possible last owner did something but I know I didn’t. If I use leather conditioner on it , it’s not as noticeable. It is what it is on a used car if dealer won’t help.