Moving from 21" to 20" wheels and tires. Suggestions?

wofer

Guys, I have a 15 Edge Sport with OEM 265 40 21's. Want to move to 265 45 20's. I'm looking at 2 tires which I've read good things about.

1. Hankook Dyanpro HP2 RA33 all season performance tire.

2. TOYO Proxes ST 3 all season tire

I'm open to any and all suggestions?

BTW, the reason for all season tires is I live in Northern California. Our weather here isn't too hot, or to cold, we do get 1 to 2 inches of rain per storm on average during winter months, but nothing crazy like other parts of the country.

Thanks!

Why do you want to move to the new size? It must be important to justify the cost of four new wheels plus the tires so I'm curious.

I have used both the Hankook and Toyo tires and both are excellent tires. I recently got Continental DWS and while they are good tires, I really wish I had stayed with the Hankooks. Another favorite is the Michelin Pilot series. Those have all been in 18" sizes so it might be different for you. Check out reviews on Tire Rack for information about your sizes.

@TheWizard Sure, several reasons why i decided to move to 20's

1. There is not a whole lot of selection to choose from with 21 inch tires.
  2. Not happy with the Pirelli All Seasons, they seem to be wearing funny and very quickly and according to the dealer, my alignment is fine. That said, they wanted to replace my 2 fronts that were down to 4/32, but i declined
  3. I purchased the Edge certified pre owned and knew about the curb rash on my stock wheels. i was going to powder coat them, but found a nice set of 20" wheels at my local Tire Barn that are only a few $ more than what my local powder coating guy wants per wheel.
  4. Lastly, was reading on another thread http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/24489-need-a-softer-ride-than-21/?p=187037 and @onyxbfly posted a pick of his Edge running 275 45 20's and i like the look. Right now, 265's according to https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=265-40r21-265-45r20 don't show much difference in spec's and speedometer differences, and i worry about veering to far off spec.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion on tire's. i'll take a look at the Conti's as well.

• 10 months later...

I cant blame ya for wanting to go from 21's to 20s.    I am thinking of doing the same on my new Edge Sport.    (Plus the 21's seem to be a magnet for curbs, its really bad driving but there is absolutely no forgiving with 21s,   on 20's you might scrape the tire instead of rim).       I'd love to know which rims you've picked out.    Will you be able to go with 265 45 20s without any other adjustments? 

13 hours ago, Bxp said:

I cant blame ya for wanting to go from 21's to 20s.    I am thinking of doing the same on my new Edge Sport.    (Plus the 21's seem to be a magnet for curbs, its really bad driving but there is absolutely no forgiving with 21s,   on 20's you might scrape the tire instead of rim).       I'd love to know which rims you've picked out.    Will you be able to go with 265 45 20s without any other adjustments? 

I know the feeling. I have a love hate relationship with my 21" as well.  I'm not sure if its due to bad driving. I have driven plenty of cars/ trucks with large/ larger wheels. At first I thought it was me and my driving habits. But we're not alone. There are plenty of people who complain about curbing the 21" wheels.  I don't know if its a issue with sight lines/ depth perception.  I do know that angling the mirror down helps when aligning the truck.  Personally I feel that they should angle down in reverse from the factory.  

Yeah Yeah If I had a nickel for every time I hear I should have brought a Lincoln I could repair your curb rash and mine!

I've come to the conclusion that I will go down to 20" wheels. But since, I love the look of the 21s,  I'll eventually have my 21" refinished.  You can run up to 295 on a 20" without any mods.  The width of the wheel that you choose will be a factor in your tire selection. Unfortunately I don't care for any of the 20" stock offerings.  I have yet to find a wheel that I love.

Wheel selection is a very deep and personal choice hahha It is very easy to suffer paralysis via analysis. If matte black tickles your fancy take a look at  SNMJim wheels for sale  Don't let the price turn you off. Reach out to him he may be able to take a shave and a haircut on the price. 

8 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

I do know that angling the mirror down helps when aligning the truck.  Personally I feel that they should angle down in reverse from the factory.  

I enabled the reverse mirror dip feature using FORScan. Very helpful as you you noted, when in reverse if I need to see the curb I just push the mirror button for the side I want and it will dip.

• Like 1