Replacing and reprogramming camera

So I guess I'll tackle replacing the non working / sporadic working back up camera in our 2011 Sport. I hate when stuff doesn't work right...

Ive decided to use this camera from Amazon http://a.co/d/4lCEe0m, mainly because of the return option. I do want my gridlines (See above statement about things not working correctly)

SO.... whats my best option for an OBDII reader to get in there and reprogram this thing? Is there one that we know works better than another? I've searched through our links but cant find the answer I'm looking for...

Appreciate the help.

Maybe i'll post a photo documented DIY while doing it since this is a reoccurring topic.

• Like 2

I don't think this camera will program, not a true OEM/Ford camera, but I hope you find different :)

This is the wired OBD II reader many recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY

And yes, the camera can be replaced without needing to drill anything, if you are averse to that part of the factory procedure.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

That would be a shame. When I asked Avlis-Co if this was in fact OEM Ford or if they manufactured for Ford I was told

"This Camera is Manufactured by OEM Ford Motor Company and marked with P/N GJ5T-19G490-AD"

I guess even as a last resort I'd rather have a functioning reverse camera instead of no camera at all. :doh:

Yeah I would take this up directly with Ford and see if they sue the OEM Ford Motor Company, LOL. All you really lose is the calibrated blocks I believe, so if you can do that, still not a bad compromise. I don't remember if the 2nd gen camera calibrates, it does work for gen 1.5 tho otherwise. And it was about 80$ last time I looked.

I thought there was some discussion that the difference is really just pin reassignment but for the life of me cannot locate that post anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Off we go to replace a camera!

First off, open your tailgate and then disconnect your battery.

The first 4 screws you'll remove are on the tailgate handle recesses. Regular Philips head screws.

4ine4h.jpg

AFter you have these removed and set aside, slowly pry off the interior tailgate cover. It has several press in clips seen here colored white.

16942zb.jpg

Once you're inside the tailgate again look into the holes below the bottom of the glass. I tried to mark it on this picture.

1550x29.jpg

A 7/16" socket on an extension will take them out. Don't forget to unclip the wire that you can trace through the tailgate when you begin removing it. On either side there is a plastic press through clip. Squeeze the ends closed from the inside, as you removed the outer tailgate garnish.

2ild3ro.jpg

• Like 3

20r0ewi.jpg

Once you have the Garnish off, you can begin removing the old camera. The camera was originally assembled in its cradle and screwed into place, so as others have mentioned, it's easiest to dremel a slot and screw the screw out from the outside.

1z3uk3b.jpg

I then used a small thin screwdriver to back the screw out.

wi7rd4.jpg

Edited by Edgieguy
  • Like 2

This allowed the cradle to move enough to disconnect the old camera and slide it out, replacing it with the new camera.

ev9hmp.jpg

With the new camera in place, I simply used a zip-tie to hold it in.

2a0008x.jpg

15fhmpy.jpg

The gridlines are gone. I tried everything short or a Master Reset. I may see if someone in my area has a Forscan tool or knows someone at our local Ford dealership. I'll keep you all posted.

Edited by Edgieguy
  • Like 2

Wow, this is a bookmark for me! My '11 Ltd AWD camera has been flaky for a while. First I lost the gridlines for a week or so. I did a reprogram and they came back only to be gone again once the car is power cycled (ignition on/off.) After the gridlines went, then the camera went black for a few days. I figured it was completely toast. Now for the past month or so the image is back but completely upside down! No gridlines and no proximity warnings either. I can live without gridlines and beeps but an upside down camera is useless. Your procedure for doing this will surely help a lot when I decide to replace the camera! Heck, I may just figure out a way to put my existing camera back but upside down to get a viewable image!!

I will definitely be interested to hear how things eventually turn out, and thanks again for posting this!

• Like 3

WWWPerfA_ZN0W, Thanks. Hope this gives many the confidence to do this repair somewhere down the line.

@candurin, There's No way to clean the camera better whether you take it out or leave it installed.

@chefduane, I had the same thing happen. My backup warning beeps still work though. The backup warning sensors are a separate system I would believe.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Mine is still usable so may not be worth the hassle.

If Im being honest, Im really eyeing up one of those new ford rangers. Ruh Roh.

But... also considering a 2019 edge. The edge is the perfect mix of form and function for me. That, and it fits in the garage next to my wifes cx-9. Been spoiled with not having to leave the car in the driveway.

She loves it. Its a 2010 and shes got almost 140k. Never had a single issue (well, CV joints were replaced under a recall).

Shes eyeing up the 2019. We like the third row and use it quite a bit. Its a squeeze to get back there, but, its comfortable when you get in the seat.

With two kids, sports, dance, friends, camping etc. everything fits in the car.

It made me want to look at the CX-7 as the Ford Edge size SUV is perfect for me. But, I really like the Ford looks.

That Acura RDX, though....

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1