G2 SPORT SHIFT PADDLE EXTENSIONS

Xtra

I thought I would try out some shift paddle extensions. I have found the stock paddles to be useless unless going in a straight line. As soon as I turn the wheel my hands are nowhere near the stubby stock shifter paddles. These will not help with how fast the car responds to my input, but I am hoping the extra length will help me in the canyons where I drive for fun :shift: . They are about 6.5 inch long, made of good quality aluminum and have a nice finish. The + and - are in white and could be better but are clear enough to see. I think they cost around $50 or so. I will have to find the site link again, snmjim sent me the link originally :hat_tip: and I will give a review once installed and tested. The box included both up and down paddles and some set screws to attach them with. They come in assorted colors as well. *I had to send in a photo of my stock paddle as there are different ones depending on what country you live in... Or so said the supplier. I hope they fit :shrug:

post-46130-0-59112100-1537938595_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-25243900-1537938697_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-03045100-1537938807_thumb.jpg

post-46130-0-76378800-1537938755_thumb.jpg

post-46130-0-39386300-1537939010_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

I feel the same way you do about the shifters. Its like you have to make a conscious effort to down shift using them in curves. I don't know if longer paddles would block the gauge cluster or whatever fords reasoning is/ was. I don't think I've ever saw paddle shifters so small before.

I saw the ones you pictured on Aliexpress recently. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-ford-edge-paddle-shifter.html

Here is the link to the ones you pictured. Doh! I didn't realize that they were sitting in my cart.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Savaini-High-quality-New-2pcs-Aluminum-Steering-Wheel-Shift-Paddle-Shifter-Extended-type-For-Ford-Explorer/613687_32819415273.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.28.d63323c70OQhVR

Lets us know your thoughts and feelings on them.

• Like 1

Just completed the install. It was easy enough and took around 10 min using the tiny set screws. I first started the screws before I put the paddles in place then had to tighten them each a little at a time. I went to each screw several times until they were evenly adjusted. If you try to tighten up one screw fully before the others the screw will just pass through the paddle and fall out the other side. The kit included 4 extra set screws. The paddles look and fit good and I hope they work as good as they look. I will road test later.

post-46130-0-35453500-1538003134_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-32527200-1538003171_thumb.jpg

post-46130-0-50236800-1538003209_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-93441100-1538003281_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Just completed the install. It was easy enough and took around 10 min using the tiny set screws. I first started the screws before I put the paddles in place then had to tighten them each a little at a time. I went to each screw several times until they were evenly adjusted. If you try to tighten up one screw fully before the others the screw will just pass through the paddle and fall out the other side. The kit included 4 extra set screws. The paddles look and fit good and I hope they work as good as they look. I will road test later.

Looks good. I agree having them a little bigger will help when shifting during tight cornering. Normally with my hands at a comfortable wheel position, I can only reach the paddles with my pinky fingers. Its tough to get to them at all when the wheel is turned.

Just ordered mine from AliExpress and used a first-time buyer $4 off coupon so all-in I only spent $34.60 with free shipping.

I will probably get some black oxide coated set screws to make them less noticeable.

On eBay they are $56, but not sure if those are from the same mfg

Edited by roots57
  • Like 1

Looks good. I agree having them a little bigger will help when shifting during tight cornering. Normally with my hands at a comfortable wheel position, I can only reach the paddles with my pinky fingers. Its tough to get to them at all when the wheel is turned.

Just ordered mine from AliExpress and used a first-time buyer $4 off coupon so all-in I only spent $34.60 with free shipping.

I will probably get some black oxide coated set screws to make them less noticeable.

On eBay they are $56, but not sure if those are from the same mfg

Root,

I anxiously await your Eval so I can make a purchase determination.

Here's the link for those interested in this source vise the one I provided earlier in this topic string:

BTW, both paddle manufacturers being discussed here are Savanini.

Paddle shifters Edge:

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/Paddle-shifters-edge.html?channel=direct&keywords=Paddle-shifters-edge

Edited by snmjim

attachicon.gifIMG_1022.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_1026.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1027.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_1035.JPG

Xtra,

Anxiously standing by for your Eval...

I was able to test a little with them but not in the canyons. With my hands on the 10 and 2 of the steering wheel it is very easy to shift. As Roots stated before where reaching them only with the pinky now they are in full reach and easy to shift. They look great and if the transmission would respond instantly and not a second later they should have been OEM. So far I give them a thumbs up if just for looks. alone. I am sure I will be paddle shifting much more than in the past and I will be able to adjust for the time lag on the shifts. They stay out of the way of other controls like windshield wipers and are clear of the steering wheel. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Swapping out the stock silver set screws for black ones would help with the finish product .

Small screws from McMaster Carr usually come in a box of like 50 or 100 so I'll send you a handful when I get them if you want. I need to wait until my paddles arrive so I can determine the thread size.

• Like 3

Small screws from McMaster Carr usually come in a box of like 50 or 100 so I'll send you a handful when I get them if you want. I need to wait until my paddles arrive so I can determine the thread size.

Hey there Root,

If you have some to spare I could use a set please...;-)

Edited by snmjim

Just completed the install. It was easy enough and took around 10 min using the tiny set screws.

@Xtra, if you have a chance, would you mind taking a pic or two of the extensions from the side so they aren't obscured by the steering wheel? i'd like to see how they sit on the original paddles. a photo facing the back of the paddles would be fantastic as well. i'm really considering getting a pair of these since i saw your post. i'd just like to see a bit more of how they fit. thanks.

Got mine today

I see you received some double sided tape for yours that I did not get with mine. So far I have not needed the tape as the set screws are working fine. Congrats, let us know what you think of them.

Edited by Xtra