2013 Edge FWD Transmission failed.

Rick89114

Today I was driving home and my Edge started to make a very slight grinding noise. As I got closer to home I noticed it was only occurring in certain gears. I was in a 35 mph zone but only going about 30mph (I was returning from a nice hike and it was a very secnic drive). I figured I would look into it when I got home (3 to 4 miles). About 1/2 mile from home I had to turn onto the highway for the short distance and the car would not accelerate. Seemed the transmission was slipping and the rev limiter kicked in. There were no indicator warning lights on so I limped it on the shoulder to get home 20mph. When I parked it in the garage there was transmission fluid dripping out underneath. I checked the dip stick and it was dry as a bone and smoke came out of the dip stick hole. I did not notice any smoke behind me while driving, even checked my mirrors as I pulled out into traffic on the highway. I called my local Ford dealer and they informed me they would not be able to look at it until Oct 25th!!! I called Ford care and they had me check with the next closest dealer 54 miles from my house, they will be able to look at it next Monday so tomorrow it will be getting towed there. What do you think I should expect? Is the trans toast? I do have the Ford Premium Care ESP. I was very disappointed with the agent on the phone when I inquired about the towing and rental car coverage on the ESP. Apparently Ford has to determine the problem before they will pay for the limited time rental coverage and they will only cover $100 of the towing, since I have to go several towns over to get faster service I will have to foot bill for the extra towing millage.

Dealer called me today and informed me that the cooling hoses somehow came loose and leaked fluid out. They reconnected the hoses and refilled the fluid and took it for a test drive. Said it drove fine and ready for me to pick up. Since its a few towns over and I live rural I will pick it up sometime next week and see how it goes. By the way since it was labor and fluid cost only not covered by ESP. I just hope that no damage was done to the transmission running a few miles on low fluid.

78000 Miles on my Edge. The fluid has not been replaced recently. We own a newer house and there were no fluid/oil drips in the garage prior to this issue. The mechanic stated that the threaded connection to the trans cooler had made its way loose. The bumper had to be removed for access, he informed us that he used lock tight to prevent the line from becoming loose again. He added fluid to proper level, ran "KOER" self test and no DTC was found. $354 most all labor. Got our Edge back yesterday and seems to run fine so far.

• Like 1