Power liftgate drops when it is about to close, is it normal?

redden18

Hey guys,

Just bought new 2018 Edge Ti and noticed strange behaviour of power liftgate: it is closing normally up until 5cm left and then suddenly droppes to close! Mine 2012 Explorer does it smoothly and nicely all the way down!!!

I was told by the dealership that this behaviour is normal, but is it? I used to not to trust to dealers! Dealer told me it does it to make sure liftgate is closed, but I think it is bullshit!

Does anybody could confirm the same?

That is what dealer told me that this is normal, but it actually makes it like a really cheap car!

I'm gonna check with restyled Explorer guys, if it is the same.

BTW, been in the dealership I checked Escape's manual liftgate and was truly impressed how it was working - I moved it almost all the way down with my hand and the released and know what? It did not drop, no, it closed nice and smothly like it were power! And it did fully latch!

And Escape is 10k cheaper car! Just designed in Europe...

• Like 1

That is what dealer told me that this is normal, but it actually makes it like a really cheap car!

I'm gonna check with restyled Explorer guys, if it is the same.

BTW, been in the dealership I checked Escape's manual liftgate and was truly impressed how it was working - I moved it almost all the way down with my hand and the released and know what? It did not drop, no, it closed nice and smothly like it were power! And it did fully latch!

And Escape is 10k cheaper car! Just designed in Europe...

why don't you take a quick video with your phone and post it here so we can see what you mean? i can do the same tomorrow if you like so you can compare..

• Like 1

We had a new Edge as a rental in Seattle. The hatch dropped slightly at the end of it's close. On my 2009 MKX it closes slowly to the end and an electric motor pulls it closes and locks. They must have found a way to cheapen it up.

The 2018 worked fine in my opinion.

You might be right, I have to check. Explorer does exactly the same as you described it on MKX (doesn’t seem it pulls it though, maybe locks only), apparently Edge is missing that element of power liftgate. That is the shame on Ford.

We had a new Edge as a rental in Seattle. The hatch dropped slightly at the end of it's close. On my 2009 MKX it closes slowly to the end and an electric motor pulls it closes and locks. They must have found a way to cheapen it up.

The 2018 worked fine in my opinion.

The electric motor is still there, if you close the hatch manually it will take last part & close the hatch.
  • Like 1

Interesting. My Edge hatch shuts about the same as yours but the latch mechanism is not quite that loud. Also, when the door does come down there is a mechanism that grabs on and locks and seats the door. I don't see all that much difference in the closing but your door does seem somewhat louder - closes with a 'clunk' more so than mine. I would definitely have that check out. Maybe there is a misalignment somehow.

• Like 1