Strange message from radio

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 11,102 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:09 AM

So "TheWizard" your happy with functions in your vehicle disappearing, I'm not. Just how would you feel if that as soon as your vehicle warranty ran out that the manufacturers stopped your engine from running, after all that in today's vehicles could be just a piece of software that they no longer support. That would help them sell more vehicles. I have complained to Ford in Dearborn, Michigan about the address-destination removal, if no one complains the big corporations will just take more advantage of the customers. I also have read the legal disclaimers about change without notice, etc., that still doesn't make it alright to just delete things, just legal.

It has nothing to do with being happy about it, it's about understanding how software works overall, not just in vehicles.  And it's not done to sell more new vehicles.  It's done to cut support costs especially on features that don't add much value and that not very many owners use like the VHR.

Features that integrate with the phone are very difficult to maintain as phone operating systems change.  And I presume this is another feature that very few people used.

You don't have to like it, but you should understand why it's being done, that it's perfectly legal and all mfrs either do it or will be doing it at some point. 

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 341 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:09 AM

It was a pointless feature anyways.  If there's anything wrong that needs to be addressed, the check engine light comes on.  It's not like it says "your brake pads are now at 1.6 mm thickness and your air filter has a 2 in-hg restriction".  That would be a useful vehicle health report.  Since the car can't determine any of that or anything remotely close- again, total worthless feature.

#23 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,332 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:58 AM

You mean like Microsoft not supporting Windows XP anymore? 

Actually, they still do. One of my work computers is an XP machine and Microsoft just updated it with several security updates yesterday.

#24 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,332 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:22 AM

It's set to pop up at selected milage intervals. If you want to turn it off (as others have said, it's been disabled on Ford's end), do the following:
1. Press the PHONE hard button on the navigation system.
2. Select the Settings tab on the touchscreen.
3. Press Advanced.
4. Select Vehicle Health Report.
5. Select Automatic Reports.
6. Select "automatic reports off".

#25 OFFLINE   TheWizard

TheWizard

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 897 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:53 AM

Actually, they still do. One of my work computers is an XP machine and Microsoft just updated it with several security updates yesterday.

Yes, companies can pay big bucks for an extended support contract with Microsoft to provide security updates well past the end-of-life date (which was way back in April 2014).  This is intended to support systems like ATMs and point-of-sale systems but will cover any Windows XP machine the company wants to pay for.  There is also a registry "hack" that will extend support on a Windows XP machine until April 2019 by making Microsoft see the computer as a POS device.

But for ordinary users, there is no support for Windows XP anymore.  Maybe I should have used Windows Vista in my example because it was far less popular and has not had any offer of extended support (thankfully it died a well deserved death). ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users