2012 Ford Focus Blower Motor Speeds

Hi All,

I have a 2012 Ford Edge SE with manual A/C that looks like this:

AC_zpstv7xrazh.png

Living in Texas the blower motor usually stays on maximum. In winter its usually below medium. It was not until i purchased my daughter a 2012 Ford Focus that I noted her car's blower when on maximum just about blows your hair back pretty well, certainly way more than my edge.

So I started testing mine by changing speeds and realized that the max setting and the second from the top are nearly identical in speed. The sound the motor makes changes nearly imperceptibly when switching, outside of that I would not say the air speed changes in a noticeable manner.

So my question is for those who have a similar system, is that comparable to what your system does or have I gotten use to a defective blower/control?

Thanks for feedback!

Generally, Gen 1 & 1.5 (2007-2010 & 2011-2014) Edge's HVAC system, in my opinion, have a weak blower design. A lot of other cars have a noticeably stronger blowers which you can feel, even the 2015+ model is much better. With that said, did you replace the cabin air filter recently? If not, it will help considerably. Also, consider going OEM (Motorcraft) as from my personal experience it will give better airflow than other aftermarket (at least from what I have tried).

• Like 1

I almost didn't buy my gen 1 Edge because of the wimpy blower. I read up and discovered that the filter was never changed and nothing could get through it. The airflow doesn't compare to my wife's grand Cherokee but is definitely adequate. Don't forget there are vents in the rear console that cool the back of the car.

• Like 1