Are the Sport 22" wheels "plastic clad"?

AKBrian

I have had an odd clicking or tapping sound this last week in my recently purchased, used, 2013 Edge Sport. I assumed it may be a CV joint or even bearing, but someone pointed me to this:

https://repairpal.com/clicking-noise-from-wheel-area-while-car-is-moving-295

I had no idea what plastic cladding was, but I learned that Ford and some others have started cladding their wheels with some kind of plastic chrome? I found some videos on it, but I couldn't determine if the factory 22" wheels that came with my sport variant are cladded as well.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

i read this post because i used to have an '09 with the clad wheels and they used to make a creaking sound.

i'm just thinking out loud here but since you (the OP) say that it is recently purchased, i would probably go around the car and loosen the lug nuts and then tighten with a torque wrench to make sure they are all properly done. i really doubt that this is where the sound is coming from but just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, much appreciated.

So interestingly I swapped to winter wheels and tires today, 17's on 235/65 tires, and the sound and vibration are *almost* gone. In fact I'd say there's a chance I'm reading too much into basic undulations and vibrations at this point because of paranoia. Perhaps the 22's were just really unbalanced. I'll have them checked out during the winter.

Thanks again

Edited by AKBrian

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2018 at 9:05 PM, omar302 said:

As far as I know, the 22" wheel do not have the cladding.

If you want to check, tap on them slightly with a metal object, you'll know if the surface is aluminum or metal.

The cladding is a ‘plastic’, and no, the sport wheels do not have it.