Bird DoDo stained my paint

so I am pretty fastidious about keeping my car clean.. wash it weekly by hand. But hey, I get busy and at times, dirt/funk sits a few days... what can ya do, thats life.

Anyway.. a yellow bird poo has stained the paint on my bumper - plastic mind you.. and I cannot get it out. there is like a very small (2cm tall by pencil lead width wide) mustard yellow dodo line and I cannot get it off. it is like a stain. I tried some of my scratch remover that has worked awesome on over-spray and misc funk particles I have found here and there.. but to no avail. jeez.. did it leak that far down?

any tips to get off the bird poo stain?

so I am pretty fastidious about keeping my car clean.. wash it weekly by hand. But hey, I get busy and at times, dirt/funk sits a few days... what can ya do, thats life.

Anyway.. a yellow bird poo has stained the paint on my bumper - plastic mind you.. and I cannot get it out. there is like a very small (2cm tall by pencil lead width wide) mustard yellow dodo line and I cannot get it off. it is like a stain. I tried some of my scratch remover that has worked awesome on over-spray and misc funk particles I have found here and there.. but to no avail. jeez.. did it leak that far down?

any tips to get off the bird poo stain?

Hi Lex. :D You have what they call "paint etching" or "acid etching". It is caused by the acids in the bird poo.

I would recommend you try a "Clay Bar System". Both Meguiar"s and Mother's (among others) make good ones. I prefer Meguiar's. Follow the directions and give it a try.

If that does not work, you will probably need to use a more abrasive polishing compound. According to how deeply it has etched into the paint, you may not be able to get rid of it completely. Use multiple attempts, starting off rubbing lighter, and examining your progress through each attempt. Only use as much pressure as necessary to correct the problem area. If it is very deep into the clearcoat, you could wind up polishing right through down to the color coat. That would be a whole new and expensive problem.

I'm sure you already know this, but the longer those types of contaminants remain on your paint, the more severe the damage, especially bird poo. If you are the picky type (which I am), you might want to carry a bottle of Meguiar's Quik Detailer (again, Mother's makes a good one also) and a towel (100% cotton or microfiber) in your trunk. This way you can remove these types of problems as soon as you see them.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

thanks guys... I think I will try the clay bar first attempt today.

yeah. I knew bird poo could do this, and normally jump on any little poos or pollen or tree droppings, but I have to admit, I really did not think that type of 'etching' could happen that quick. we are talking just a few days sitting. not sure what that bird's diet was to cause such acidy dodo :)

BTW, I do carry a microfibre with me, feel like a dork when I am in a parking lot cleaning off some splatter, but maybe I should carry some type of liquid cleaner as well.

• 3 weeks later...

post-2453-1215701762_thumb.jpg

some documented imagery.... pretty fugly on white paint... here is some poo that sat maybe a few hours. will not come out. this is a real bad situation as it continues. I just cannot spend my life watching for birds :censored: on my car and rush to clean it right off :) I tried a clay bar as recommended and tried some decontamination products I got locally as a first step and even ScratchX as recommended for this issue on their Forums.. no dice. ScratchX helped the most BTW...

UPDATE: I contacted the dealer.. they are going to look into seeing about having the etched poos removed and a better sealer put on the bumpers to try to address it. will keep posted.

Edited by Lex Talionis

BTW, I do carry a microfibre with me, feel like a dork when I am in a parking lot cleaning off some splatter, but maybe I should carry some type of liquid cleaner as well.

The following product is great to keep in the car along with a microfiber towel for those quick cleanups that are required from time to time. Meguiars Quick Detailer

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...